Judd Anderson Film Breakdown by Stevo

Advertisement
@Stevo365 summary for the TLDR (or TLDW in this case) crew

Judd Anderson Film Review: Canes land a high upside QB out of the peach state. at 6'7 225 pounds he possesses frame that cannot be coached. Several NFL throws from opposite hashes, flashes the ability to manipulate the pocket at an ELITE level.

As always, it will come down to whether or not our coaches can develop this kid. The potential is certainly there but I would hope that we also prioritize a high-floor prospect to complement him because his production at the HS level thus far has been questionable, at best. I do love the way he's taken on the mantle as an ambassador for this class though; strong leadership vibes from this one.

Advertisement

Only 2 true throws in that clip where he used coached mechanics and it was easy to tell a few things (and he's being recorded by a prominent QB coach so I'm guessing he probably took pretty serious reps). Good arm talent. Especially considering he's doing himself no favors mechanically. Extremely raw mechanics. Ball still jumps out.. but it dies because of his lower half.

I would call his mechanics lazy.

Lazy feet, stiff hips (absolutely no lower half drive), lazy/stiff upper body (shoulders, scaps, front half). Can be coached and developed.. a lot easier to do if it's just lazy mechanics and he's not just stiff. Pause.

Only 2 true throws in that clip where he used coached mechanics and it was easy to tell a few things (and he's being recorded by a prominent QB coach so I'm guessing he probably took pretty serious reps). Good arm talent. Especially considering he's doing himself no favors mechanically. Extremely raw mechanics. Ball still jumps out.. but it dies because of his lower half.

Lazy feet, stiff hips (absolutely no lower half drive), lazy/stiff upper body (shoulders, scaps, front half). Can be coached and developed.. a lot easier to do if it's just lazy mechanics and he's not just stiff. Pause.
It's strange to me that a QB coach would not immediately be seeing that delay at the end of the drop, unless it's being done for timing reasons within a system.. it either overextends the lower half when ready to deliver the ball, or it causes the feet to come too close together with a cheat step after sticking.

But thankfully, Judd doesn't use his legs at all when throwing a football so he probably isn't worried about that today. 🤣

Also, only 2 clips really, as you mentioned. Just annoying that those two clips would be the ones to go out lol

Advertisement
It's strange to me that a QB coach would not immediately be seeing that delay at the end of the drop, unless it's being done for timing reasons within a system.. it either overextends the lower half when ready to deliver the ball, or it causes the feet to come too close together with a cheat step after sticking.

But thankfully, Judd doesn't use his legs at all when throwing a football so he probably isn't worried about that today. 🤣

Also, only 2 clips really, as you mentioned. Just annoying that those two clips would be the ones to go out lol
Yep. I saw him live in the spring and it didn't stand out. Being recorded that close and slowing it down made it stand out to me

The QB evals for this program have been absolute dogsh*t with the exception of TVD.

Aside from D’Eriq King & TVD, we haven’t had a QB worth a **** in a long time.

3 different Coaching staffs & not a single one of’em can find & recruit a QB who doesn’t take 4+ years to develop lol

The QB evals for this program have been absolute dogsh*t with the exception of TVD.

3 different Coaching staffs & not a single one of’em can find & recruit a QB who doesn’t take 4+ years to develop lol
Malik Rosier is the all time leader in TDs at Miami though....

Edited (clarified by @Memnon): single season total TDs record holder at 31

Last edited:
Advertisement
Malik Rosier is the all time leader in TDs at Miami though....
The All-Time is leader in Passing TD’s is Ken Dorsey for his career & Steve Walsh for a single season.

The record that everyone always refers to when talking about Rosier’s 2017 season was the most yards from scrimmage in a Single season by a QB, which was 3,588 (He passed for 3,120yds & rushed for 468yds).
And Total TD’s at 31 (26 passing & 5 rushing).

I know recruiting with a Miami polo on is a little different than Southern Miss and Houston, but Dawson's QB evals have been whatever smells worse than dog**** pretty much his entire career.

Anderson is ranked like he super stinks, and Dawson hand-picking him probably means he super stinks.

I actually like Dawson's ability to call an offense when he's given the ingredients to cook with, but under no circumstances under the sun should this kid be the only QB we bring in. And this is coming from a guy who has said about eleventy billion times on this board that I will give QB and OL recruits the benefit of the doubt, because they're far and away the hardest positions to project. But Dawson has signed a lot of QBs in his time as an OC and QB coach and almost all of them couldn't figure out which way to put a helmet on. I hope I'm way wrong here, but if this kid turns out to be a baller, it'd very much buck the trend of both Dawson and Miami in general. The data suggests this kid is going to be butt on toast.

Woof.

Since 2014 King and Kaaya have been the only qbs worth a ****. And 2021 TVD.

Advertisement
I know recruiting with a Miami polo on is a little different than Southern Miss and Houston, but Dawson's QB evals have been whatever smells worse than dog**** pretty much his entire career.

Anderson is ranked like he super stinks, and Dawson hand-picking him probably means he super stinks.

I actually like Dawson's ability to call an offense when he's given the ingredients to cook with, but under no circumstances under the sun should this kid be the only QB we bring in. And this is coming from a guy who has said about eleventy billion times on this board that I will give QB and OL recruits the benefit of the doubt, because they're far and away the hardest positions to project. But Dawson has signed a lot of QBs in his time as an OC and QB coach and almost all of them couldn't figure out which way to put a helmet on. I hope I'm way wrong here, but if this kid turns out to be a baller, it'd very much buck the trend of both Dawson and Miami in general. The data suggests this kid is going to be butt on toast.

Woof.
I’d love to get a top notch portal QB after this year assuming TVD leaves. Brown needs a lot of work throwing the ball and idk anything about Williams.

I saw the exact same thing. The mechanics are awful. His lower half isn’t even involved.

We’ve seen a lot of under the radar kids in our backyard walk right into lower programs and ball out as well. Never even getting a look from us but yet we are constantly bringing in absolute garbage at the position.

No real secret why we’ve sucked.

Advertisement
Back