Josh Pate on Miami-Texas A&M

same with a 2 loss Clemson at 16 & Duke nowhere to be seen

this computer model must be making assumptions based on recruiting rankings & recent history (previous year) bc its so bad that it looks like a troll account made this.
JP poll loved Texas all last year haha

Advertisement
He says it every week, but these are power ratings, not rankings. It takes into account past recruiting class rankings and ranks based on who would be favored over who on a neutral field. Most of the time 8 through 20 are fractions of a point different. That being said, this **** whack.

Advertisement
Other than generating CaneTears, what does the poll rate?

Is it a power ranking of if the teams played today who would win?

Don't let Josh Pate bulls*** you. The "model" they run is structured to produce weird results because weird results generates clicks and views. They know what they're doing. Josh Pate knows what they're doing in.
This. If the model is this bad why even keep putting it out there, or why not adjust it and improve real time as it’s obvious it’s so far off base? Because clicks

Advertisement
I believe it’s not supposed to be a performance ranker, it’s supposed to be more “predictive” for who it’d favor (kinda Iike ESPN predictive software). That being said, it’s still absolutely ****
speaking of ESPN's formula, it's actually ranking us highly based on actual performance this year..

1695824952926.png

Advertisement
**** our ST efficiency.
Not sure what all it takes into account but that’s perhaps even with Brashard going nuts and Borregales being elite

I could be wrong but I feel our kickoff coverage has been solid this year? Could be missing something but for as many times as we have done it I don’t remember a lot of easy returns

Not sure what all it takes into account but that’s perhaps even with Brashard going nuts and Borregales being elite

I could be wrong but I feel our kickoff coverage has been solid this year? Could be missing something but for as many times as we have done it I don’t remember a lot of easy returns
Fumble on punt return will kill your efficiencies. Especially at your ten or whatever. Not making it back to the 25 is a killer on kickoff returns.

I could write a big article on models and what they’re saying- and not saying- and why teams that beat another team are still behind them etc. but it’s not as fun as grabbing a pitchfork. 😂

Advertisement

Fumble on punt return will kill your efficiencies. Especially at your ten or whatever. Not making it back to the 25 is a killer on kickoff returns.

I could write a big article on models and what they’re saying- and not saying- and why teams that beat another team are still behind them etc. but it’s not as fun as grabbing a pitchfork. 😂
We also had a punt blocked and an xp missed

Haha gotcha gotcha. Say no more. Plus with a small sample size it’s kinda like baseball and batting averages or ERA at the beginning of the season

One good or bad day throws everything gloriously out of whack

We also had a punt blocked and an xp missed
Yeah I mean don’t get me wrong I don’t need a recap of all the stuff we messed up

I said what I said because we’ve also had good things happen and wasn’t sure how each was weighted if that makes sense?

I don't think anyone is making up results but if you choose metrics and construct the model in a way that you know will be at odds with others you can be assured you'll stand out. I don't think there's vendettas, I think that's just a byproduct.

All these sites depend on traffic. There is very little value in producing a reasonable result and a massive amount of value in being shocking.

If I was in their position I would do the same thing.

Advertisement
Back