Josh Pate on Miami-Texas A&M

WTF is this guy smoking…

- 3 $EC teams with one loss ahead of us, including A&M…who we man-handled.
- Alabama ahead of Texas…who beat them.
- A two loss Clemson team who lost to Duke is ahead of us.

I feel like this is Who’s Line is it Anyway… where everything isn’t real and the games/points don’t matter.

Advertisement
Here is another model to pick apart, lol. https://collegefootballnerds.com/ComputerModel###

This one loves the Canes currently, only Washington and Duke are favored over us.

IMG_0497.png

I don't think anyone is making up results but if you choose metrics and construct the model in a way that you know will be at odds with others you can be assured you'll stand out. I don't think there's vendettas, I think that's just a byproduct.

All these sites depend on traffic. There is very little value in producing a reasonable result and a massive amount of value in being shocking.

If I was in their position I would do the same thing.
He bets on this model and gives out picks on a weekly basis, so there's some level of belief in it.

From the last show, he said the model would currently have ATM favored over us by a tenth of a point. He also mentioned adjusting FSU above Clemson (not sure why he didnt do the same for us over ATM). Why am I bringing that up? It tells me the top 4 ACC teams are essentially a pick 'em on a neutral field if the computer is to be believed.

If you believe this and all teams hold serve the next few weeks, we'll be between -1 and +1 @UNC, similar vs Clemson, and maybe -4 to -5 @FSU (-3 of that comes from it being in Tally). Potentially some value if you can find a good current UM vs FSU line. Might be able to get extra points now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back