Josh Horton and DL position thoughts

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Live snaps matter a lot. Whatever is seen at practice could be a decent clue, but I tend to add disproportionate weight to how players perform in games and in live snaps. This is especially important at certain position groups.

I think Josh Horton earned himself some snaps in non-JV level games.

He did a few things that will transfer regardless of opponent:

- off the snap, was able to swim and use feet to get upfield
- showed athleticism chasing plays
- height/weight are listed at 6’ 4” 295, but he looked taller and heavier than players listed around the same

If he can hold the point decently well against D1 opponents, he could help us with depth, and hopefully will catapult into a rotation player next season.

If so, somehow we’d be deeper at DT than at an Edge position (that’s another topic, probably) that seems a little shaky right now. This is especially the case for 2024 IF Bain ends up sliding inside to 3T.

Bain
Bama transfer
Another portal
Moten
Horton
Jones (true frosh next season)
Another top level recruit
Depth

At DE, we’re not looking as strong as many presumed - now and in the future:

Mesidor may be out for some time.
Kelly is banged up. And, we’re waiting to see him elevate his game under the lights.
Bain is getting a ton of snaps and maybe will slide inside next season.
Wayne looked even lankier than I imagined and he didn’t even play Bain’s role - instead was playing Kelly/Harvey role.
Chantz is rotational.
Moss had a rough game under the lights AND is underweight.

All in all, it’s fascinating to see perception of a position group flip once games begin and a few factors (injuries, etc.) come into play.

Advertisement
Live snaps matter a lot. Whatever is seen at practice could be a decent clue, but I tend to add disproportionate weight to how players perform in games and in live snaps. This is especially important at certain position groups.

- shower athleticism chasing plays
- height/weight are listed at 6’ 4” 295, but he looked significantly taller and heavier than players listed around the same

If he can hold the point decently well against D1 opponents, he could help us with depth, and hopefully will catapult into a rotation player next season.

If so, somehow we’d be deeper at DT than at an Edge position (that’s another to) that seems a little shaky right now. This is especially the case for 2024 IF Bain ends up sliding inside to 3T.

Bain
Bama transfer
Another portal
Moten
Horton
Depth

Kelly is banged up. And, we’re waiting to see him elevate his game under the lights.
Wayne looked even lankier than I imagined and he didn’t even play Bain’s role - instead was playing Kelly/Harvey role.
Chantz is rotational.

All in all, it’s fascinating to see perception of a position group flip once games begin and a few factors (injuries, etc.) come into play.

LOL.

Literally posted this ONE minute ago on the unexpected highlights thread

I had the same experience with Moss. It was an "oh that's why he isn't getting snaps" performance unfortunately.

I loved him taking the chance and coming out here when Mario first got hired. I hope it begins to click and works out for him.

I'm a Horton fan as well. Kid has ideal size. Him, Moten, Burroughs are a solid foundation for upper classman at DT next year. I'm still not convinced Bain is going to move inside. Especially in this Guidry scheme. He definitely is in the Mesidor mold. I actually like what I saw of Wayne on his brief snaps. Very twitchy.

Advertisement
Personally I think Bain stays outside at SDE and doesn't need to move inside. Miami loses Harvey and Mesidor next year with 3 maybe 4 edge guys coming in, with at least two of them needed a redshirt comining in.

The talent will be better but it will be full of guys who haven't had 3 years in the progam getting the majority of the snaps.

I'm a Horton fan as well. Kid has ideal size. Him, Moten, Burroughs are a solid foundation for upper classman at DT next year. I'm still not convinced Bain is going to move inside. Especially in this Guidry scheme. He definitely is in the Mesidor mold. I actually like what I saw of Wayne on his brief snaps. Very twitchy.
Agreed though Horton is a true freshman

- height/weight are listed at 6’ 4” 295, but he looked taller and heavier than players listed around the same

If so, somehow we’d be deeper at DT than at an Edge position (that’s another topic, probably) that seems a little shaky right now. This is especially the case for 2024 IF Bain ends up sliding inside to 3T.

Bain
Bama transfer
Another portal
Moten
Horton
Depth

Chantz is rotational.

I was dying for him and chris johnson to get in the game. Then when he finally did I was already checked out but i trust your judgement. he should be playing more

Bain
Bama transfer
Another portal
Moten
Horton
Depth

Chantz is rotational.

In this scheme looks like Dends are mainly dropping back or standing up stunting or to blitz.. I wonder how many snaps Kelly has where his hand is in dirt and he actually got to pass rush and just pin his ears back.. I could be off base because I havent watched line like that in new defense

Advertisement

Bain
Bama transfer
Another portal
Moten
Horton
Depth

Chantz is rotational.

you forgot the freak Collin Arch.

Personally I think Bain stays outside at SDE and doesn't need to move inside. Miami loses Harvey and Mesidor next year with 3 maybe 4 edge guys coming in, with at least two of them needed a redshirt comining in.

The talent will be better but it will be full of guys who haven't had 3 years in the progam getting the majority of the snaps.
Mesidor role, outside until pass downs.

Advertisement
Not sure this belongs in here but many of the freshman look like they ballooned up to fast. Bryant, popo, and R Williams come to mind that need to lean out after putting on that much mass (to be expected but it’s clear). The reason I bring this up in this thread is because I thought Horton looks great physically. Might have been the single digit number but looked like D Jackson last year to me out there. Think he’s going to be a dude

Advertisement
Gotcha. When you said “upperclassmen” my brain went Jr/Sr

It’s kinda wild the kid is a true freshman. Really impressive

I gotcha. That makes sense. Lu had the true freshman Jones listed and hopefully another impact true freshman. I wasn't clear on meaning in comparison to those guys.

Horton was definitely a good eval. I really like Jones as well. Think he's underrated. I'm hopefully that he sticks with us and doesn't flip to FSU. Still worries me a little.

I’ve been harping on the DE concern for some time. DT is also a concern as you alluded to, @LuCane .

Harvey was non impactful last night which is odd. Harvey can give you really nice minutes but be invisible other times. This has been his MO since he’s been here. Chantz is underwhelming and might very well portal after this year. Bain is a stud at DE but beyond him, it remains a question mark.

Wayne has the potential but I was expecting him to be closer to 260 than 240 at this point. Moss will be a situational guy here.

We could very well lose 8-9 DL after this year.

Next year we’ll have at DT:

Moten
Horton
Cambpell
???

The development of Collins and Wayne wil be critical for our DL but when you only sign 3 DTs in 3 recruiting cycles, you’re constantly playing catch-up.

My guess is that we’ll sign 2 more portal DL (one at DE and one at DT).

Advertisement
Back