Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO, but my money is def on him starting. He was getting 1st team reps at Oregon prior to injury. I think him and Rivers hold down the OG spots.

I've already pointed this out, but the Stats Bros are going to be stubborn.

The number of plays per game, as a stat, is misleading and fairly undifferentiated. Over one-third of all Division I-A teams are within a 5-play spread (70-75 offensive plays per game). The #1 team in the country was Wake, at 81 plays per game. The #130 team in the country was K-State, who ran 58 plays per game. That is 23 plays worth of difference for the most extreme outliers, though 85% of the teams fell within a tighter range of 65-78, or about 13 plays of differential.

As I mentioned, the key factor is how quickly a team huddles/doesn't-huddle and gets to the line, as well as keeping offensive personnel sets on the field for multiple plays. This is what keeps the defense from substituting/rotating.

But the hardheads are going to try to focus on an overly-simplistic, easy-to-digest numerical statistic. Any idiot who thinks that an offensive team ABSOLUTELY WEARS OUT THE OPPOSING DEFENSE BY RUNNING AN EXTRA 5 PLAYS PER GAME is just too dense for an honest discussion.

If you want to keep a defense off-balance, you get lined up as quickly as possibly, prevent subsitutions, and force the opposing DC and his team to communicate rapidly and on-the-fly about what formations to run. Five extra plays per game is not changing anything. I don't think I've ever seen a football team play amazing defense for 70 plays, and then in the final 5 plays of the game, they completely fall apart...
Except of course Miami versus Florida State in 2021.

Advertisement
None of you know exactly what Gattis will run here OR what Mario asked of him during the interview process to say " we need this type of player, we need this type of line".

You guys have no clue what the fall Saturdays will look like with Gattis at the offensive helm so please shut up about it.

As soon as he comes out in 5 wide trying to put all the weight on TvD shoulders and the kid throws 3 pics in the 1st quarter yall same porsters are going to be begging for some semblance of a run game.

Stop saying what we need to be successful with Gattis. You don't know and you can only guess yet you type so matter of factly.

Let the man install his system and call his plays. If it doesn't work then bytch. Yall not even being objective and balanced. Just bytchn
I agree. I think he will run a system that plays to our strengths. What more can you ask for?

Have a question here, but would it be stupid to image a new OC would look at plays that were successful under the former regime and possibly incorporate some into his playbook?
Will probably sit with TVD and see what some of his favorite plays were and see what he likes and crossover concepts and keep them in mind..
I would think any great coach is always looking to improve and take ideas from others while still staying to their base concepts. So yes he probably watches some tape on last years offense

I don’t know how many coaches do it, but that would be the first thing I do as a coach switching teams or breaking in new quarterbacks.

I would look at the plays that made them successful in high school or under a previous coach and install as many of them as I could.

Jimmy's staff with Wannstedt, Butch, Solly, etc. was very good

I don’t disagree w/ u, but even w/ that being said I’m sure what u’re trying to rebut in my post. Lol. The only thing I see u maybe rebutting is my opinion of us not winning 10+ games w/ a new staff. The only reason why I feel that way b/c data supports.
Over under 9. I'll take the over. At 10 it's a more difficult call on my end.

Advertisement
Except of course Miami versus Florida State in 2021.

In fairness, we weren't exactly playing a stellar defensive game for the fist 70 plays. We did collapse at the end, but not because F$U was running so many offensive plays that it wore us out.

864CD88F-A525-4737-B97F-9A2899C4AB15.jpeg

Advertisement
Screenshot_20220209-003500_Chrome.jpg

Thing that was always weird about Lashlee here, was his background under Malzahn suggested he had a plethora of zone running schemes to employ... only for us to seemingly see him call just 3 or 4 of them throughout the season, with a huge emphasis on the inside read.

Cowherd talking Miami again. Saying this staff can keep the big dawgs home and compete for championships within a few short years.

It’s not that WHAT he is saying is interesting; it’s that HOW he is saying it is extremely complimentary of Miami & Mario. Remember, this is the guy that said ST26 basically deserved to die bc he was a thug.

It feels good to be relevant again.
And just for that and that alone, he can never be trusted nor taken seriously ever again.

How many guys from Eastern Bloc countries just cave in to sexual blackmail demands? Seems like she should have found a nice Canadian hockey player instead.
Unfortunately, she would have a hard time finding a nice Canadian hockey player that wasn't molested as a child. Them Jr league coaches are wicked AF up there.

Advertisement
View attachment 177198

Thing that was always weird about Lashlee here, was his background under Malzahn suggested he had a plethora of zone running schemes to employ... only for us to seemingly see him call just 3 or 4 of them throughout the season, with a huge emphasis on the inside read.
I mean I know it's cool to **** on the old coaches and hype up the new coaches, but one thing I appreciated about Lashlee is he let TVD cook. We simply didn't have the Oline to run a "power spread" here.

Hopefully Mario/Gattis move away from a run-first offense and let TVD cook if our Oline performs in the first few games the way it's performed the past few years.

“Good coaches can do things that best fits the personnel,’’ Enos said.

“You can call it the “Spread Coast” or whatever you want to call it. We’ll get the personnel in here and figure out what we have, and then we’re going to hopefully get very creative in how we get them the ball.”

Learn your lesson with me, fellow Canes.

Wait and see.
Let's not forget Gattis helped transition Alabama to their power spread offense. So, if he's good enough for Saban, then I'm feeling good.

Advertisement
I mean I know it's cool to **** on the old coaches and hype up the new coaches, but one thing I appreciated about Lashlee is he let TVD cook. We simply didn't have the Oline to run a "power spread" here.

Hopefully Mario/Gattis move away from a run-first offense and let TVD cook if our Oline performs in the first few games the way it's performed the past few years.
They will do as you are hoping. But the difference will be that when we run we will employ the correct personnel. Too often with Lashlee we tried to be cute and disguise our runs by keeping 3 WR’s on the field and a tight end who could not block, and no lead back. I expect to see more power personnel when we want to run. If you have the personnel you don’t have to constantly try and fool the competition. Maybe Lashlee will say he had no choice with the Oline, but when we actually used a lead back in short yardage were were always successful.

Watch Michigan games. When they needed to run they used heavy personnel and 2 TE’s. but that was in limited situations or if the other team could not stop the power running game. Gattis used what worked with his personnel on every specific play. Game plans and strategies are important but the best coaches coach every single play on its own.

Hey genius. The guy said gattis likes to run a lot of plays and offered that he was “near the top of the country” in number plays per game to support that, but the stats clearly don’t support that so I pointed it out. Being average and close to last isn’t near the top. Rankings are relative, just like his “near the top” assertion, and always will be. Then you jumped in and started talking about a bunch of **** that we weren’t, that’s why I’m not addressing all your what if variables. We never even talked about which way was better, but you decided to jump in a day later and go off on a self righteous, “stats are worthless” diatribe. No stat has perfect correlation to performance or record, they are indicators though. If you don’t think plays per game correlates to offensive tempo, you can’t be helped. Notice I didn’t say they are the same, but there is correlation. It’s hilarious how you point out one outlier as proof that what I said is worthless when that’s not even what I said. Either that or you don’t know what correlation means. Outliers still exist even when things correlate, and offensive plays per game correlate better to tempo (what I said) and offensive performance than number of wins (what you decided to argue) since wins would also be affected by defense and special teams. Read a dictionary if necessary, take advil for any headaches, midol for any cramps.

And Michigan was 2-4 when they dropped down to 112th, and scored 7 fewer pts per game compared to this year, but that doesn’t fit your argument so I’m sure that’s a worthless stat and their intention was to run fewer plays and score less even though I was told gattis likes to run tempo. If you feel the need to do some statistical analysis based on who the qb was, defensive substitutions and correlate a few more stats with those to prove your assertions, have fun
I think the plays per game can be misleading. I'd have to watch the Michigan games, but I'm sure they were running the ball in the 4th quarter when you want to milk the clock. That could lower the play count significantly.

Over under 9. I'll take the over. At 10 it's a more difficult call on my end.
Agreed. Thats why I said if Im Vegas, Im setting the over/under at 9. I think there is enough meat on the bones for 10 wins or 8 wins to drive plenty of volume and have it be somewhat dispersed.

If you set it at 10, you are asking someone to guarantee that you beat 1 of TAM or Clemson, and run the table on the rest of the schedule without a slip-up. You are going to lose some volume in that case and guarantee the money goes to 9 wins.

Ive got 9 as my floor and expectations. Too many unknown variables. Anything more and its a pleasant surprise (anything less and my remote control is gonna get an a$$ whooping). Either way though, 9 or 10 wins gets the Coastal and in the ACCCC which should be the goal this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back