Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Siiiiiiiiiigh. He was 73rd this recruiting cycle b/c he only had 1 recruit; he only had one recruit b/c Harbaugh kept UofM in limbo. I have three frat bros, including one former high profiled player, & my baby cousin who are all GoBlue alums. We talked about how Harbaugh hamstrung UofM’s class this yr by telling kids he may or may not go to the NFL. Instead of using this momentum to turn UofM’s recruiting into a top 7, they were stagnant & lost out on several high profiled guys.

Also, per 247, Gattis has either P-recruited or S-recruited 44 players, & 50% of them were 4 stars or higher. I’m not sure how that’s not impressive, but to each it’s own.
People don't do research ... they read a small snippet from somewhere and take it as God's word from above....

Gattis OC/WR
Moore TE/Run Game Coord
Coley QB/Pass Game Coord

randy marsh masturbating GIF by South Park

I thought about Moore and the RGC title but doesn’t Mirabal already have that?

Siiiiiiiiiigh. He was 73rd this recruiting cycle b/c he only had 1 recruit; he only had one recruit b/c Harbaugh kept UofM in limbo. I have three frat bros, including one former high profiled player, & my baby cousin who are all GoBlue alums. We talked about how Harbaugh hamstrung UofM’s class this yr by telling kids he may or may not go to the NFL. Instead of using this momentum to turn UofM’s recruiting into a top 7, they were stagnant & lost out on several high profiled guys.

Also, per 247, Gattis has either P-recruited or S-recruited 44 players, & 50% of them were 4 stars or higher. I’m not sure how that’s not impressive, but to each it’s own.
i hope so brother.

Advertisement
I hope we can bring in Sherrone Moore to be the TE coach…

Fields has done enough to get that spot, but Moore brings from an on the field POV. He is connected with Gattis, has been successful coaching TEs as well, and would help us in the run game and up front overall. Make this happen and give Field a top notch off the field recruiting role.
Moore is a good recruiter too and all reports works well with Gattis. I would think we offer him the TE coach spot but he might want to stay and coach the OL which is something we can’t offer.

Moore is a good recruiter too and all reports works well with Gattis. I would think we offer him the TE coach spot but he might want to stay and coach the OL which is something we can’t offer.

Definitely cannot be mad at him if he decides to stay and continue what he has built, I just hope we try. Having him, someone who knows Gattis’ system and what he wants to accomplish first hand will help speed up our transition a little ..

Advertisement
When y'all scout out the hills you are willing to die on, what goes into that decision? The nuance between Broyle's Award winners? The difference between the 1st and 5th overall offense? how many times TVD will drop back to pass? This is where you make your stand?
When you are a miserable ****, all the above.

If anyone has an Athletic subscription and can share the Feldman article where he talked to Gattis today… I’d greatly appreciate it

In this thread or via DM

Not sure if anyone came through for you yet, I've been driving all day and am hours behind. @JayCane20

Michigan offensive coordinator Josh Gattis is accepting the same position at Miami, he told The Athletic. The 38-year-old, who helped the Wolverines to a Big Ten title in 2021, won the Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach.

"It had to be something special to get me to leave something special, and this was it, man," Gattis told The Athletic Sunday morning. "This place is it. I am so excited about coming to The U."

Gattis has signed his deal with Miami, a source said. He leaves Michigan after three seasons to join Mario Cristobal's first staff with the Hurricanes. A big coaching influence on Gattis is Joe Moorhead from their time together at Penn State. Moorhead was Cristobal's OC at Oregon. Cristobal has filled both coordinator positions in less than a week, after tabbing Kevin Steele to be his DC.

Gattis' departure from Michigan comes in the week Jim Harbaugh informed the school he would return as head coach in 2022 after entertaining the idea of leaving for the NFL. Harbaugh interviewed for the Vikings' head-coaching job but left Minnesota without an offer. Now, he'll have to hire a new offensive coordinator for the first time since bringing Gattis in from Alabama. Michigan also lost defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald to the Baltimore Ravens this offseason.

Prior to Michigan, Gattis spent one season at Alabama, four at Penn State and two at Vanderbilt.

(Photo: Gregory Shamus / Getty Images)

Where could Gattis help the Hurricanes most?​

Manny Navarro, Miami beat writer: Gattis, a former All-ACC safety Wake Forest and 2007 fifth-round pick of the Jaguars, has been coaching receivers or been involved with the passing game at all five of his previous stops as an assistant (Western Michigan, Vanderbilt, Penn State, Alabama), mentoring 2018 Biletnikoff Award winner Jerry Jeudy in 2018 and 2021 Dolphins first-round pick Jaylen Waddle. Gattis can not only coach receivers, but he loves using his tight ends — a staple at Miami — going with multiple tight ends 44.4 percent of his play calls in 2021.

In addition, Michigan was one of the best rushing teams in the nation last season. Miami ranked last in yards per carry in the ACC last season. The Hurricanes have six four-star running backs on the roster, and Gattis put the ball in the hands of his running backs 56.1 percent of the time in 2021.

What does Gattis inherit at Miami?​

Navarro: Tyler Van Dyke, the ACC’s Rookie of the Year, is one of the top returning quarterbacks in the country and though the Hurricanes have to replace leading receivers Charleston Rambo and Mike Harley, he’s got a young talented ****nal waiting for opportunities, led by Key’Shawn Smith (33 catches, 405 yards, 3 TD). Miami’s tight end position features former four-star recruits in Will Mallory (30 catches, 347 yards, 4 TDs) and sophomore-to-be Elijah Arroyo.

The backfield — led by Jaylan Knighton (561 yards, 8 TDs in 2021) — has been beefed up with the transfer of Henry Parrish (553 yards, 3 TDs in 2021) from Ole Miss and the addition of highly coveted Louisiana four-star recruit TreVonte' Citizen. Miami’s offensive line returns three starters: left tackle Zion Nelson, center Jakai Clark and right guard DJ Scaife, an All-ACC second-team selection.

What does Gattis’ departure mean for Michigan?​

Austin Meek, Michigan beat writer: Gattis was a candidate for head-coaching vacancies and would have been on the shortlist at Michigan if Jim Harbaugh had left for the NFL. With Harbaugh committing to stay at Michigan for the long haul, the Wolverines had a logjam of qualified assistant coaches and little to offer in terms of internal promotions.

After two up-and-down seasons calling plays, Gattis deserves credit for weathering the storm and leading Michigan’s offense to a successful 2021 season. With Michigan already searching for a defensive coordinator, Gattis’ departure adds to a turbulent offseason for the Wolverines.

Who is in the mix to replace Gattis at Michigan?​

Meek: The Wolverines have three strong internal candidates in quarterbacks coach Matt Weiss, offensive line coach Sherrone Moore and running backs coach Mike Hart. Moore was co-offensive coordinator along with Gattis and did an excellent job with Michigan’s offensive line. Hart is a highly regarded former player who is going to be a coordinator sooner or later. It won't be a surprise if the job goes to Weiss, a coach with close ties to John and Jim Harbaugh who joined Michigan’s staff from Baltimore a year ago.

Advertisement
Not sure if anyone came through for you yet, I've been driving all day and am hours behind. @JayCane20

Michigan offensive coordinator Josh Gattis is accepting the same position at Miami, he told The Athletic. The 38-year-old, who helped the Wolverines to a Big Ten title in 2021, won the Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach.

"It had to be something special to get me to leave something special, and this was it, man," Gattis told The Athletic Sunday morning. "This place is it. I am so excited about coming to The U."

Gattis has signed his deal with Miami, a source said. He leaves Michigan after three seasons to join Mario Cristobal's first staff with the Hurricanes. A big coaching influence on Gattis is Joe Moorhead from their time together at Penn State. Moorhead was Cristobal's OC at Oregon. Cristobal has filled both coordinator positions in less than a week, after tabbing Kevin Steele to be his DC.

Gattis' departure from Michigan comes in the week Jim Harbaugh informed the school he would return as head coach in 2022 after entertaining the idea of leaving for the NFL. Harbaugh interviewed for the Vikings' head-coaching job but left Minnesota without an offer. Now, he'll have to hire a new offensive coordinator for the first time since bringing Gattis in from Alabama. Michigan also lost defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald to the Baltimore Ravens this offseason.

Prior to Michigan, Gattis spent one season at Alabama, four at Penn State and two at Vanderbilt.

(Photo: Gregory Shamus / Getty Images)

Where could Gattis help the Hurricanes most?​

Manny Navarro, Miami beat writer: Gattis, a former All-ACC safety Wake Forest and 2007 fifth-round pick of the Jaguars, has been coaching receivers or been involved with the passing game at all five of his previous stops as an assistant (Western Michigan, Vanderbilt, Penn State, Alabama), mentoring 2018 Biletnikoff Award winner Jerry Jeudy in 2018 and 2021 Dolphins first-round pick Jaylen Waddle. Gattis can not only coach receivers, but he loves using his tight ends — a staple at Miami — going with multiple tight ends 44.4 percent of his play calls in 2021.

In addition, Michigan was one of the best rushing teams in the nation last season. Miami ranked last in yards per carry in the ACC last season. The Hurricanes have six four-star running backs on the roster, and Gattis put the ball in the hands of his running backs 56.1 percent of the time in 2021.

What does Gattis inherit at Miami?​

Navarro: Tyler Van Dyke, the ACC’s Rookie of the Year, is one of the top returning quarterbacks in the country and though the Hurricanes have to replace leading receivers Charleston Rambo and Mike Harley, he’s got a young talented ****nal waiting for opportunities, led by Key’Shawn Smith (33 catches, 405 yards, 3 TD). Miami’s tight end position features former four-star recruits in Will Mallory (30 catches, 347 yards, 4 TDs) and sophomore-to-be Elijah Arroyo.

The backfield — led by Jaylan Knighton (561 yards, 8 TDs in 2021) — has been beefed up with the transfer of Henry Parrish (553 yards, 3 TDs in 2021) from Ole Miss and the addition of highly coveted Louisiana four-star recruit TreVonte' Citizen. Miami’s offensive line returns three starters: left tackle Zion Nelson, center Jakai Clark and right guard DJ Scaife, an All-ACC second-team selection.

What does Gattis’ departure mean for Michigan?​

Austin Meek, Michigan beat writer: Gattis was a candidate for head-coaching vacancies and would have been on the shortlist at Michigan if Jim Harbaugh had left for the NFL. With Harbaugh committing to stay at Michigan for the long haul, the Wolverines had a logjam of qualified assistant coaches and little to offer in terms of internal promotions.

After two up-and-down seasons calling plays, Gattis deserves credit for weathering the storm and leading Michigan’s offense to a successful 2021 season. With Michigan already searching for a defensive coordinator, Gattis’ departure adds to a turbulent offseason for the Wolverines.

Who is in the mix to replace Gattis at Michigan?​

Meek: The Wolverines have three strong internal candidates in quarterbacks coach Matt Weiss, offensive line coach Sherrone Moore and running backs coach Mike Hart. Moore was co-offensive coordinator along with Gattis and did an excellent job with Michigan’s offensive line. Hart is a highly regarded former player who is going to be a coordinator sooner or later. It won't be a surprise if the job goes to Weiss, a coach with close ties to John and Jim Harbaugh who joined Michigan’s staff from Baltimore a year ago.
Thank you. About 14 people hit me through DM. Plugs everywhere lol

It’s no secret that Mario wants to run the ball. He has always run the ball.

But he’s also not about to cut off TVDs balls by turning him into Blake Bortles, dink and dunk and pound the rock type of offense.
He under-utilized/castrated Herbert. He only averaged 250 ypg as a senior and future top 10 nfl pick. He had better stats as an nfl rookie, and that should never happen

NFL records for Herbert
  • Most passing touchdowns by a rookie quarterback (31)
  • Most passing yards per game by a rookie quarterback (289.1)
  • Most 300 yard passing games by a rookie quarterback (8)
  • Most completions by a rookie quarterback (396)

Advertisement

I need to watch more film on him.

He said the first thing he installs in the run game is outside zone then inside zone. I didn’t see much zone running against Ohio State. He ran some power and what looked like dive.

This is a big deal. It means his run scheme will be versatile and opponent specific. Those man/gap block schemes will be beneficial for Chaney and Rooster, who are less patient runners than Cam.

I think something that is lost in this is how much Maryland fans HATE our collective coordinators in Gattis and Steele. Gattis, I'm pretty sure, was hired by Locksley in 2019 but bolted to Michigan after a couple of weeks. Steele wasn't even a week on the job when Mario came poaching.

He under-utilized/castrated Herbert. He only averaged 250 ypg as a senior and future top 10 nfl pick. He had better stats as an nfl rookie, and that should never happen

NFL records for Herbert
  • Most passing touchdowns by a rookie quarterback (31)
  • Most passing yards per game by a rookie quarterback (289.1)
  • Most 300 yard passing games by a rookie quarterback (8)
  • Most completions by a rookie quarterback (396)
Bored Over It GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back