Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooo what happens to the marathon “deleted names” thread, now?

1644192928607.png

Advertisement
So many mopes on this board. Glad to have the ignore button.

If you can’t even give the guy the benefit of doubt until you know, he actually calls a game. What’s the point of being a fan? Find something else to do with your life.
Why would this surprise you?

This board is filled with “I knew everything I needed to know when…” legends and you expect differently now?

He under-utilized/castrated Herbert. He only averaged 250 ypg as a senior and future top 10 nfl pick. He had better stats as an nfl rookie, and that should never happen

NFL records for Herbert
  • Most passing touchdowns by a rookie quarterback (31)
  • Most passing yards per game by a rookie quarterback (289.1)
  • Most 300 yard passing games by a rookie quarterback (8)
  • Most completions by a rookie quarterback (396)
For the 100th time - who did Herbert have to pass to at Oregon?

Who did he have to pass to in Los Angeles?

It's a nice hire PR wise to steal their OC, but other than that I'm not a huge fan of the hire given both our current personnel and primary recruiting location.

I'm watching their highlights and this dude has a fullback/H back whatever in the backfield very often. They're running a lot of heavy pistol stuff with TEs packed on the LOS. Caveman shlt.

Unless Mario decides to abandon his offensive philosophy he's had for years and directs him to run something else, or Gattis has some secret modern spread he's been saving, it seems like a regression for our program in terms of offensive philosophy. We finally found a QB and joined the world of modern offenses, only to decide to break all of our cellphones and laptops and head back to the Bronze Age?

His resume is also pretty thin:

Gattis' total offensive rankings as an OC:

We finally have an elite QB that should throw the ball a lot. We don't have access to the quality of OL that Michigan does. I'm hoping we see some shocking shift in philosophy, but I doubt it.

If he brings his Michigan offense here, we're fvcked.

Oh, and you know who else won a Broyles Award? Randy Shannon.

It's a nice hire PR wise to steal their OC, but other than that I'm not a huge fan of the hire given both our current personnel and primary recruiting location.

I'm watching their highlights and this dude has a fullback/H back whatever in the backfield very often. They're running a lot of heavy pistol stuff with TEs packed on the LOS. Caveman shlt.

Unless Mario decides to abandon his offensive philosophy he's had for years and directs him to run something else, or Gattis has some secret modern spread he's been saving, it seems like a regression for our program in terms of offensive philosophy. We finally found a QB and joined the world of modern offenses, only to decide to break all of our cellphones and laptops and head back to the Bronze Age?

We finally have an elite QB that should throw the ball a lot. We don't have access to the quality of OL that Michigan does. I'm hoping we see some shocking shift in philosophy, but I doubt it.

All of this is fair.

Advertisement
When it comes to coaches here recruiting should always be prioritized over scheme. If we recruit at a top level everything else is irrelevant. I say overpay Coley as a QB coach and they player we have on the roster will take care of everything else

Very fair overview here and basically sums up my feelings.

I will say that in watching Michigan highlights from ’19 + ’20, they seemed to run a lot more “open” spread concepts in those years than they did in ‘21. On the flip side, the offense was obviously much better in ’21 when they ran the power spread.

I just want to win. If this guy’s scheme can lead to wins, that’s all that matters.

Last edited:

Firm but fair

I don’t think it plays out this way but there’s no fault in pointing it out as a concern

We have a lot of high quality coaches in the building now so far. Whether that fits together and means success….we will have to see

I expect A LOT of overblown hot takes from the spring though

Very fair overview here and basically sums up my feelings.

I will say that in watching Michigan highlights from ‘19 + ‘20, they seemed to run a lot more spread concepts in those years than they did in ‘21. On the flip side, the offense was obviously much better in ‘21 when they ran the power spread.

I just want to win. If this guy’s schemes can lead to wins, that’s all that matters.
Agreed. I don’t think Michigan 2021 is what we see at Miami identically but we will see similarities and adjustments to our personnel

But maybe I’m just being overly optimistic

Advertisement
I think I was pretty thorough w/ outlining everything. Lol. I actually talked about Michigan’s QB issue.

The fact is, Michigan’s OL was incredible to the point that it made Cade Mac look competent. U’re right, if u put TVD behind that OL, then Michigan’s #’s r even better. But, we don’t live in hypotheticals; the fact is, TVD is not going to be behind Michigan’s line. He’ll be behind our OL, which will be improved, but imo, still not elite. My post was actually in defense of Gattis, showing that he was able to have better statistics, offensively, w/o a NFL caliber QB. With that said, TVD thrived being 2 yrs in a system; he’s going to have to learn a new system, so we “might” see some growing pains to start off for our O.

The whole team is learning new things, which is y there’s overwhelming data showing teams taking two-three yrs to develop into contenders, no matter how great the coach is.
I haven’t seen anyone mention it here yet, but it wasn’t only QB that was limiting Michigan last szn. Their best WR, Ronnie Bell, was lost for the season in game 1. I was watching it live & he was dominating too.

They had a great OL and 2 very good RBs. He played to their strengths.

Here, the strength is QB & skill position players. I would hope he would play to those.

Here’s something else that gives me comfort:

If any of these assistant coaches suck, they’ll be gone. There’s no reason to worry about buyouts or things like that with the budget we have now and Mario has shown he’s not afraid to shake things up.

If Gattis sucks, we’ll be looking for a new OC next year.

Just took two extra strength tylenol after the last dozen pages. Realized Miami has some DUMBAZZZ fans! Good Lord, do some of you just sit around and watch CNN all day? It will dilute your brain cells. Stop watching!

Mario Cristobal hired two of the best Coordinators in over 20 plus years and some of you Jabronies just *****! Follow the Gaytor and move on...We don't want you or need you...

Advertisement

Dude that's all well and good but you're one of the perpetually miserable legion of doom posters on this site so I'll take whatever you have to say with a grain of salt

Fair. But I think it's also fair to point out that Gattis hasn't had anyone nearly as talented as TVD under center. Or an OL quite as bad as ours. It's also unknown how much Harbaugh influenced Michigan's playcalling.

He could have simply been playcalling to his talent. His scheme seemingly incorporates a lot of spread elements. It was not uncommon to see Michigan line up in 4 WR sets and power-spread formations designed to spread the defense out.

Point being, I don't think we need a "shocking shift" in his scheme, but yes, we need him to adapt his playcalling to our strengths, which wouldn't be very shocking or radical to me.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I dont think he had the horses to do what he wanted at Mich but when they bought in Matt Weiss who integrated Roman's Ravens offense they made it work, I would think he would take what he learned in that run game and get closer to what he did at Bama in '18 with Young Tua, Juedy, Irv, Smith, Ruggs, Najee, Damien, Waddle, and Jacobs (COTDAM what a ******* loaded squad).. They did double tight stuff also but they used their weapons in wide open scheme, speed in space spread.. I think thats more his roots but couldnt get it to work at Mich because the QBs suck and they got on hot seat so they leaned on what their resources allowed them to do..

I think he will adjust that down here and will allow him to implement his scheme, he got roots from Joe Moorhead, they ran Spread at PSU, broke alot of records and had everybody wanting a piece of that RPO offense, everybody got paid/promotions off that staff, even young GA Joe Brady parlayed to small gig on saints squad.. I think thats more of who he is and not the one year at Mich where they benefited from ground and pound because talent was there for that, you cant pass ball with those stiffs at QB.. But maybe it allowed him to diversify his run game and he won Broyles in process, cant be a bad thing..

I despise pro style bros and I watched what you watch, it wasnt a 2 yard cloud of dust offense, dive to fullbacks, the full back wasnt featured or anything like that.. I think we will be good or maybe he Enos' us, they were on same bama squad, I am hoping we actually got the right guy as he was passing coordinator from PSU 14-'17 and Saban bought him there to space age the offense with passing game and RPO..

Bruh… we don’t know how good they will be HERE. That’s fact! But both of these gentlemen are home-run hires based on previous successes. As far as “names”, and previous success (Broyles Awards and finalist), Mario couldn’t have done much better. He swung for the fences, and connected. Now how good will they be at the University of Miami? We will see, but looking at their track records, and if their past is any indication…. then boys and girls, we’re about to have a lil fun.
View attachment 176740

Absolutely. Home runs don't always win the game, but they put runs on the scoreboard.

Last edited:
the thing you have to remember about anything gattis ran at michigan is that their offensive personnel is literally tailor-made for the 3 yards and a cloud of dust style offense. stellar offensive line, talented running backs, and....not much else, least of all anything worthwhile at quarterback. mcnamara is not good and their offense was very obviously designed to hide him. it's no accident that he started out trying to run spread stuff, got mediocre returns, and then switched to run-heavy. we should hope that he can be adaptable to our situation, which is obviously quite different.

the thing you have to remember about anything gattis ran at michigan is that their offensive personnel is literally tailor-made for the 3 yards and a cloud of dust style offense. stellar offensive line, talented running backs, and....not much else, least of all anything worthwhile at quarterback. mcnamara is not good and their offense was very obviously designed to hide him. it's no accident that he started out trying to run spread stuff, got mediocre returns, and then switched to run-heavy. we should hope that he can be adaptable to our situation, which is obviously quite different.
Right, his 2019 season was full of this iirc. Then I think Harbaugh reigned him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back