Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he’s an ok hire but his offense didn’t work until they got an elite ol this year. I doubt we have that anytime soon. They were 63rd in scoring in 2020 and he seems to burn bridges and air dirty laundry everywhere he goes. From the mike locksley beef a couple years ago to now badmouthing Michigan on the way out.

Advertisement
Put TVD on Michigan’s offense last year and that team is scoring 40 a game. You guys keep using stats without considering personnel. TVD is an NFL QB and he will make every OC look really good.

I think I was pretty thorough w/ outlining everything. Lol. I actually talked about Michigan’s QB issue.

The fact is, Michigan’s OL was incredible to the point that it made Cade Mac look competent. U’re right, if u put TVD behind that OL, then Michigan’s #’s r even better. But, we don’t live in hypotheticals; the fact is, TVD is not going to be behind Michigan’s line. He’ll be behind our OL, which will be improved, but imo, still not elite. My post was actually in defense of Gattis, showing that he was able to have better statistics, offensively, w/o a NFL caliber QB. With that said, TVD thrived being 2 yrs in a system; he’s going to have to learn a new system, so we “might” see some growing pains to start off for our O.

The whole team is learning new things, which is y there’s overwhelming data showing teams taking two-three yrs to develop into contenders, no matter how great the coach is.

Last edited:
I never said Gattis sucks.

He definitely wasn't the best assistant in CFB. Lanning ate his lunch and was the deserving winner.
I guess the people who give out the award should simplify and just ask you?

Last edited:
Michigan has a 17 billion dollar endowment and is the #4 money making program.

So when they decline to pay someone do you think it’s because they are broke?
It’s all relative and sometimes spending money for a long time makes some people tap out.
Do you know how much money they’ve spent on football the last 10-12 years. It freaking insane. Remember when they first hired Harbaugh? That contract for 8 million was huge and 3 million more than he was making as an nfl HC. Remember when they Took the entire team and staff to Italy for spring practice?!! Then they went to South Africa. After a while donors and even the school just a taps out and is content with the money they’re making without all the bells and whistles.
Both of those trips btw were paid for by anonymous donors.

They’re probably gonna go the tamu route and say “we could get another coach and just pay players like tamu does”.

Advertisement
So called experts around the country calling our coordinator hires very good. I do not claim to be an expert but I like the hires. As far as the type of offense we will run bits and pieces I pick up our OC is adaptable. Win 10 games and a bowl game this year who will care if we run or pass 5 more times a game . Judgement will ultimately be on wins and losses

I can’t go to 1000 posts to see if it was mentioned, but it’s especially nice to give Stephen Ross big dig by stealing his Broyles-winning offensive coordinator.

I guess the people who give out the award should simplify abd just ask you?
people were saying he's a Ace recruiter, i really dont know anything about him so i turned to 247. They had him ranked 73rd this cycle in big ten, also his all time recruit page is pretty unimpressive. we shall see

Advertisement
A voted on award doesn't make someone the best assistant in college football. Michigan's offense wasn't even close to the best in CFB.

Lanning should have won the award anyway.
No he shouldn’t lol. That’s Kirby Smart defense. And anyone that knows anything about UGA can tell you that. Oh wait..I have an inside source with UGA athletics lol. Kirby built that defense up and comes up with the defensive game plan.

It is not classless when you have a committee in a room trying to decide who is the best team based on their eyes and ears and observational subjective standards.

I think any smart coach should try to run up a score in a Championship situation like that.
Except for the fact that the committee was in no position to decide whether Mich made the playoff or not. They were #2 in the playoff rankings at the start of the game. Okie St and ND were the only other 1 loss teams that even had a remote chance to leapfrog Mich. Okie St had already lost to Baylor earlier that day, so they were eliminated. ND had already played their last game and was ranked #6 that day. They weren't going to leapfrog #2 Mich unless they actually lost to Iowa. They were up 25 with half a quarter left to play. For Mich, it was win and you're in, whether it be by 1 in 3OT or by the 39 they eventually won by. The "Championship situation" you refer to did not exist.

But yet he goes to UGA, where they don’t throw it all around the yard, either. You think he’s telling WR recruits not to go to UGA? Nah, I bet not. I think he heard who was possibly… probably coming and decided to dip. If he actually said that to WR recruits, it was probably sour grapes (for having to leave) on his part.
This is basically all I was trying to say as far as what you put in the last part. I guess I worded it a little wrong and some people were just too sensitive and all up in their emotions to handle it. Thanks for a civil response brother.

people were saying he's a Ace recruiter, i really dont know anything about him so i turned to 247. They had him ranked 73rd this cycle in big ten, also his all time recruit page is pretty unimpressive. we shall see

Who would want to go to Michigan? lol.

He should have some help here. Lets hope.

Advertisement
Except for the fact that the committee was in no position to decide whether Mich made the playoff or not. They were #2 in the playoff rankings at the start of the game. Okie St and ND were the only other 1 loss teams that even had a remote chance to leapfrog Mich. Okie St had already lost to Baylor earlier that day, so they were eliminated. ND had already played their last game and was ranked #6 that day. They weren't going to leapfrog #2 Mich unless they actually lost to Iowa. They were up 25 with half a quarter left to play. For Mich, it was win and you're in, whether it be by 1 in 3OT or by the 39 they eventually won by. The "Championship situation" you refer to did not exist.
They could still get the #1 spot or at least stake claim to it and would have had a choice to play anywhere they want to and could have made Bama played UGA in the Semi as a result.

I know it was not likely but I do not blame them at all for thinking they could still get a #1 if they put up more points.

Also it was not 100% certain they would stay ahead of Notre Dame so the more points you score the better.

1 reason Van Dyke… we have better offensive weapons than Michigan and they still don’t have a QB
Gattis is known to adjust gameplay to fit his personnel. Michigan had to be run heavy due to the QB they had. Their bread and butter was big OL and RB's. He's can run a wide open game plan with Miami's current personnel.
This seems to be the theme for Mario’s hires - both the OC and DC are multiple in their approach to game planning and execution during specific games. You have to love Gattis and Steele coming in. No way we will put a round peg into a square hole again.

Advertisement
So you are saying Mario is going to micro manage the offense.
Everything I’ve read today on the Michigan boards would imply the opposite of what @fincane said (that the 2019 offense was the Gattis offense) - supposedly 2020 he had the most autonomy at Michigan.

“The most” is somewhat subjective; maybe that means he had more in ‘20 than in ‘18/‘19, but was still handcuffed by Harbaugh.

Who knows? Certainly not me. Just regurgitating what I read.

listen to yourself you're a ******* clown. That is completely close to reality

We were talking about an actual fact based award voted on by his peers. you have an opinion. congrats. you're amazing
So polls and college football award are both facts huh? They must be since they are all voted on by committees…I guess you don’t know what a fact is if you think an award that’s voted on is fact based. I don’t want to hear any *****ing about cfp rankings anymore either. This guy says they are indisputable facts, not opinions of an assigned committee. Ever wonder why the heisman, Walter camp and maxwell award dont always have the same winner even though they all are supposed to be given to the best college player? Lmao

I actually laughed out loud on this one

Like ugly laughed

This is some Confucius level stuff, but like his off the wall cousin, Confusionius

The improvement in the Mario HC/Steele DC over Diaz HC/Diaz DC is naturally going to lead to more wins.

That doesn't mean the offense will be optimized to win games. Not sure why that is difficult to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back