Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
smoking GIF by Peter Tosh

Advertisement
They held him back without question. I don’t even know how that’s really debatable…He wasn’t even all conference his senior year, but then steps up to the NFL and wins ROY, breaks the rookie TD record and then was an all pro the next year.

He was significantly better his senior year than his junior year in nearly every statistical category. That he wasn't selected as first team all pac-12 is just another example of the jaded idiocy that we see in these subjective votes that penalize UM kids all the time. He was far and away the best QB in the Pac-12 that year.

Justin Herbert's senior year, in a balanced offense, with a mediocre WR corps that limited the passing game a bit:

3471 yards (10th in P5)
32 TDs (8th in P5)
6 INTs (basically 3rd least among top P5 QB's behind only Fields and Tagovailoa). Tied with Burrow.

He was outstanding his senior year, which is why he was the #6 overall pick. Let's not pretend he was some 3rd round diamond in the rough that college coaches didn't know what to do with.

This ongoing fallacy about Herbert at Oregon is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Contract negotiations are all about leverage. So what leverage do you think Gattis had when negotiating his contract?
Every contract has a finite dollar amount connected to the consideration of the exchange.

Hold funds in escrow until Gattis accepts whatever crap school he ends up

Advertisement
I for one don’t care when he is gone as long as he is Gone before spring ball. I just PRAY that Mario is working this from both sides at the same time… working the terms of the exiting O.C while already screening the new O.C ……the hiring cannot take as long as the firing cause that would be ridiculous for TVD to learn a new playbook with a short amount of time in spring.

He was significantly better his senior year than his junior year in every significant statistical category. That he wasn't selected as first team all pac-12 is just another example of the jaded idiocy that we see in these subjective votes that penalize UM kids all the time. He was far and away the best QB in the Pac-12 that year.

Justin Herbert's senior year, in a balanced offense, with a mediocre WR corps that limited the passing game a bit:

3471 yards (10th in P5)
32 TDs (8th in P5)
6 INTs (basically 3rd least among top P5 QB's behind only Fields and Tagovailoa). Tied with Burrow.

He was outstanding his senior year, which is why he was the #6 overall pick. Let's not pretend he was some 3rd round diamond in the rough that college coaches didn't know what to do with.

Far be it from me from being an Oregon follower in 2019 but Herbert by all accounts had a pretty **** good year AND they won the pac 12 and won 12 games. Pretty good.

Herbert was 200 yards away from being in the top 5 of P5 passing yards leaders so it's not like he had a horrible year. Besides, the fact that he excelled early on in the pros isn't an indictment on MArio and Arroyo. You could argue that he was well prepared/coached for the pros.

And, do folks think Dean Smith is a crummy coach because his top flight players were notoriously low scorers in college?

He was significantly better his senior year than his junior year in every significant statistical category. That he wasn't selected as first team all pac-12 is just another example of the jaded idiocy that we see in these subjective votes that penalize UM kids all the time. He was far and away the best QB in the Pac-12 that year.

3471 yards (10th in P5)
32 TDs (8th in P5)

He was already a consensus first rounder after his junior year so when you’re 71st in the country in pass attempts when you have a senior qb and top 6 pick on your team, that is the very definition of holding him back. If you don’t think he would have been better under an offensive minded coach, like he is in the NFL, I don’t know what to tell you.

And did I somehow imply they only held him back one year? Who was his coach and oc his junior year?

Mario’s bad recruiting history with wr’s and qbs is one reason I remain skeptical of what our ceiling is

Advertisement
They held him back without question. I don’t even know how that’s really debatable…He wasn’t even all conference his senior year, but then steps up to the NFL and wins ROY, breaks the rookie TD record and then was an all pro the next year.

That kind of complaint is just crybaby nonsense. WAAAAAHHH, "he wasn't even all-conference his senior year".

Yeah, and whose fault was that? His coaches, or the voters? The two guys that got first-team and second-team Pac 12 that year were Tyler Huntley from Utah and Anthony Gordon from Washington State.

Let's take Anthony Gordon first. Washington State went 6-7 that year. WSU started off by racking up stats and wins against OOC New Mexico State and Northern Colorado and Houston, and then they went 3-7 once the Pac 12 schedule started. Anthony Gordon got "2nd Team All Pac 12" off volume alone, for a bad team. Outside of the 63 points scored in a loss to UCLA, WSU only managed 13, 34, 35, 20, 13, and 21 in their other 6 losses. Anthony Gordon went 493 for 689 attempts, with 5,579 yards, and 48 TDs against 16 INTs. Volume, volume, volume for a losing team.

As for Tyler Huntley, at least you can say he played for a good Utah team. Which, of course, lost to Herbert's Oregon team for the Pac 12 championship. Huntley went 220 for 301 attempts, for 3,092 yards and 19 TDs against 4 INTs.

Compare that to Justin Herbert, who went 286 for 428 attempts, for 3,471 yards and 32 TDs against 6 INTs. In every statistical measure (except maybe INTs), Herbert beat Huntley. The ONLY area where Huntley was clearly superior to Herbert was in rushing, Huntley had 290 yards and 5 TDs to Herbert's 50 yards and 4 TDs.

So I'm not sure what you think Herbert could have done to convince the Pac 12 voters to make him 1st or 2nd team All Pac 12. Was he supposed to throw the ball 261 more times (nearly 20 more times per game) to match Anthony Gordon? Was he supposed to run for more yardage to match Tyler Huntley (since he beat Huntley in passing stats AND the actual head-to-head game)?

I'm just not seeing "not all conference in his senior year" as being anything that Cristobal/Arroyo could have changed. Outside of the first game neutral-site loss to Auburn, Oregon lost ONE Pac 12 road game, by 3 points. Oregon won the conference and the Rose Bowl. **** good season.

Hypothetically if that crap is in the contract that he needs to be able to get a comparable position and we violate that then I think he has that type of claim he can make. I can’t imagine it’s in there - and it doesn’t mean he’d be successful.

It was a ****** choice and apparently a **** agreement. Not worth arguing the semantics of which pile of **** is causing the stench…

I’m ok with posters picking on Mario for the same reasons the “insiders” discussion is happening… posters told other posters they were ******** for questioning Mario at the beginning and this is the ebb and flow of it…

It’s CIS zen really… Keep Calm and CIS..
Posters calling others ******** for questioning Mario is a different and separate issue and I get why people don’t like that.

The choice of Gattis is on Mario. The contract stuff is not him. It’s not his function.

Advertisement
Hypothetically if that crap is in the contract that he needs to be able to get a comparable position and we violate that then I think he has that type of claim he can make. I can’t imagine it’s in there - and it doesn’t mean he’d be successful.
damage to reputation or career is tenuous at best. that is usually couched in a defamation case, which you know we don't have here.

He was already a consensus first rounder after his junior year so when you’re 71st in the country in pass attempts when you have a senior qb and top 6 pick on your team, that is the very definition of holding him back. If you don’t think he would have been better under an offensive minded coach, like he is in the NFL, I don’t know what to tell you.

And did I somehow imply they only held him back one year? Who was his coach and oc his junior year?

Mario’s bad recruiting history with wr’s and qbs is one reason I remain skeptical of what our ceiling is
Did you just make up that stat? He attempted more passes his senior year than Lawrence (407) and Fields (355). Herbert was 18th in pass attempts.

Attachments

• D1C3A3B6-79F2-40F0-9FF3-4B66C2BF88EE.jpeg
    D1C3A3B6-79F2-40F0-9FF3-4B66C2BF88EE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Advertisement
damage to reputation or career is tenuous at best. that is usually couched in a defamation case, which you know we don't have here.
I know. I’m trying to say that it appears that there’s something in the contract which complicates it from a simple pay the money and move on and if he’s got something broadly protecting him in there then they need to deal with it accordingly. I don’t know what the specifics are.

No. No it's not the definition of "holding him back". You are whining that "he didn't get to throw it more". For a team that went 12-2 and wasn't really behind much in any game. But, yeah, we should objectify the QB who threw it 261 more times for a 6-7 team.

Do you even watch football, or do you just play video game football?

Good lord, grow up. Herbert had great junior/senior seasons, that were so good he was the #6 overall pick. What do you want to do, complain that he didn't get to throw the ball more when the team is going 12-2? WTF is wrong with you? Joe Burrow played in one extra game that year and only threw it 99 more times than Herbert did, which is what, an extra 6.6 attempts per game? THEN you would have been happy?

You are the least convincing stats nerd ever.

May have been stated previously, but the first week of February may be telling with regards to Gattis. Reports of his hiring came out last Feb. 6. Depending on buyout language in his contract, Miami could be waiting until he completes the first year of deal before cutting ties. Have to assume any buyout lessens after Year 1.

Not sure how accurate, but there have been reports that Miami is paying close to $2 million a year. Gattis had just signed a deal with Michigan before leaving that was to pay $1 million in '22, plus a number of incentives. He paid a $500,000 buyout in getting out of Michigan deal. Bottom line, Miami has to be smart in cutting ties as there would be money paid to Gattis as well as his replacement.

Also interesting that Gattis send the following text to players heading out the door at Michigan: "In life I would never advise anyone to be where they are not wanted…”

Not vouching or anything like that, just what I found from a very superficial research that might be interesting (good or bad)

A great recommendation

When Polian was deciding who his next offensive coordinator would be, he called Chip Kelly.

Kelly, now the coach of the NFL’s 49ers, was New Hampshire’s offensive coordinator when Cramsey broke into the college ranks as the Wildcats’ tight ends/fullbacks coach in 2003. They worked together for four seasons before Kelly left to become Oregon’s offensive coordinator. When Polian asked Kelly what he thought of Cramsey, he said: “Scoop him up. You’d be nuts if you didn’t.”

“We talked not a lot about the Xs and Os but about the personality, recruiting ability, how he was with the players,” Polian said. “Coach Kelly is a friend and he was kind enough to spend about half an hour with me over the phone and it helped. If you don’t know a guy personally, it’s very important to connect the dots in one step. If it takes three or four, it’s hard. You need somebody you trust and respect to stand on the table for the guy.”

Kelly did that for Cramsey, who eventually rose to the coordinator position at New Hampshire after Kelly left for Oregon. Kelly earned the reputation as an offensive guru with the Ducks and then with the NFL’s Eagles. Cramsey said there are a lot of similarities between his offense and Kelly’s system. Philosophically, there are aligned in many ways.

“A lot of the things I learned from him still make sense today,” Cramsey said. “You look at the offense we both run, they’re different, but the philosophies are the same of trying to tire out the defense, trying to confuse the defense, trying to force the defense to hesitate. That’s what it’s all about.”

Cramsey said he loves the personnel he inherited and it fits his system. He wants to build depth and plans on using three running backs, seven receivers, three tight ends and seven offensive linemen to fit his fast-paced style. That’s a change from previous seasons as Nevada stuck largely with the same 11, plus one more running back

Matt Brock clearly moonlights as a pro wrassler on the indie circuit where they demand he blade his own head every night.

You want the $80 for the night, Brock? Gotta give em some color!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back