Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
We fault Gattis for the OLine being trash and the QBs playing like garbage, soooooo 🤷🏾‍♂️

with a healthy oline it seemed we were able to move the ball. The Texas AM game was evidence that the offense was effective. There were some mistakes made, dropped balls, etc. at key moments that cost us.

I recall the concern I had at the time was the inability of the offense to score touchdowns in the red zone. It seemed we could sustain drives between the 20's but would then stall. So at first it was really a red zone offense issue. Then once the injuries started to pile up the entire offense sputtered. So I would not blame Gattis entirely for that.

However, knowing what he had he never really adjusted and put our guys in position to be successful. The play calling seemed disconnected and there was just a general lack of any creativity to overcome some of the deficiencies. That is where I do blame him. He lacked a total feel for the game. With a stout oline that could mask bad playcalling if he could just pound the rock and get yards that way. Then that would open up the play action game. But that never really materialized but their were glimpses of it the first few games. In all, it was just a very boring, plodding kind of offense that worked if we could run consistently.. Once teams shut that down they could tee off on our qbs.

I was told that the issue stems from the offset language within the buyout or separation portion of the contract

Gattis is posturing like he’s gonna sit out coaching for a year to ensure he gets every dollar of the $1.8mm
Then you hire a new OC and change his title to Offensive Analyst. Put him in a room watching film a 40 hours a week and writing up summaries.

Advertisement
with a healthy oline it seemed we were able to move the ball. The Texas AM game was evidence that the offense was effective. There were some mistakes made, dropped balls, etc. at key moments that cost us.

I recall the concern I had at the time was the inability of the offense to score touchdowns in the red zone. It seemed we could sustain drives between the 20's but would then stall. So at first it was really a red zone offense issue. Then once the injuries started to pile up the entire offense sputtered. So I would not blame Gattis entirely for that.

However, knowing what he had he never really adjusted and put our guys in position to be successful. The play calling seemed disconnected and there was just a general lack of any creativity to overcome some of the deficiencies. That is where I do blame him. He lacked a total feel for the game. With a stout oline that could mask bad playcalling if he could just pound the rock and get yards that way. Then that would open up the play action game. But that never really materialized but their were glimpses of it the first few games. In all, it was just a very boring, plodding kind of offense that worked if we could run consistently.. Once teams shut that down they could tee off on our qbs.
What ******* games are you watching?

I was told that the issue stems from the offset language within the buyout or separation portion of the contract

Gattis is posturing like he’s gonna sit out coaching for a year to ensure he gets every dollar of the $1.8mm
I trust the person who said it was a buyout issue. How or why I have no idea.

So he's coming back. That's messy and will only hurt the Team
It is the exact opposite, no way he's coming back if he's posturing like that.

It makes sense from the University standpoint to try NOT to pay the buy-out until it will not be possible anymore and the buy-out will be paid.

Last edited:
My post wasn't about that. I wasn't saying we turn good OCs bad. It's more about the level of difficulty the OC job has been especially when we're set on running a Pro style offense here
No, you went back many years to make your point...years where we were not pro style. Again, those who failed failed because of themselves, not the program. None of them went on to be great, or even good, after they left us other than the two that were good here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Marlon Brando Movie GIF

Either your signature or your brains will be on that contract

The Gattis hire was a disaster
The Gattis salary is insane
His contract slowing things up is maddening
If he plays hardball, then go with my scenario. At least now he has a chance at redemption. A year of being stored in a broom closet because he wouldn't negotiate a million dollar buyout will do a lot more damage to his income long term than just accepting a lower buyout.

Advertisement

There’s almost certainly language in the contract about a duty to mitigate damages. Fire him and let him sue. If he wants to go to war with our attorneys so be it. He ain’t built for that fight. Ask Al Golden.

Advertisement

wtf GIF

There’s almost certainly language in the contract about a duty to mitigate damages. Fire him and let him sue. If he wants to go to war with our attorneys so be it. He ain’t built for that fight. Ask Al Golden.
Agree whole heatedly

Why Mario is doing this guy any favors is beyond me

It’s turning into a distraction, whichever way you want to spin it

Then you hire a new OC and change his title to Offensive Analyst. Put him in a room watching film a 40 hours a week and writing up summaries.
it is not that easy, depends on the language of the contract. there is a concept call constructive termination, which is a termination nevertheless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back