Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Gattis should go-now-tonight.

But, I also think that Mario’s hiring approach played a role. Hire the coordinators you want. Give them a budget and let them hire their assistants.

Agreed.

I think Mario was looking to shore up a half decent class in 2021 so he wanted to have as much of the staff in place as possible. For that reason, when he struck out on his first couple OC candidates, Mario then began hiring offensive position coaches. That said, I don't think it would have made a difference. I would have little to no faith in anyone who knows Josh Gattis and would want to work for him. Talent rarely wants to for the talentless.

Advertisement
I'm not going to dog Brown, but he's not the future. Not here at least.

TVD I expect to transfer. I don't fully believe he wants to be out there and I completely understand why he wouldn't. New coordinator could change that, but I'd be looking at established offenses with solid OL play.

Garcia should transfer. He has a future somewhere if given the opportunity and developed right. Question for me is will he give a new OC here providing Mario does what any sane coach would do, releasing Gattis.

Where's that leave us? **** if I know.

Fire him. From his job or into the sun, I do not care. If you're going to be weird, you'd better be good, and squirrelly-*** Gattis definitely is not good enough to justify his personality. Dude probably spends his prep time trying to find players' moms on Instagram.

"Gattis went to Brown when TVD went down then put Garcia in with the ball on the one yard line."

He did the exact thing against FSU. Only... he did it with Jacurri... TWICE. He brought in the true freshman, 3rd string QB, to start 2 drives from his own 2 yard line, down 14 the first time and 21 the second, against our biggest rival.

It gets worse.

The first play to start BOTH drives were runs up the middle, with the walk on billionth string RB.

It gets worse.

At that point in the game, Jacurri hadn't attempted a pass. So when Gattis wanted to call a pass play, he pulled Jacurri to bring in "passing QBs" TVD and Garcia.

It gets worse.

FSU figured out what Gattis was doing (so did the announcers who both called him out). After the walk on rush attempt, and the TVD pass attempt, Gattis brought Jacurri back in for.. you guessed it. A QB run. Since Jacurri STILL hadn't attempted a pass, FSU stacked the box when they saw him, stuffed the QB and the drive stalled.

It gets worse.

Down 21, to start the SECOND drive, Gattis ran the same play to start the drive. Run up the middle with the walk on billionth string RB. FSU was sitting on the run again because Jacurri still hadn't attempted a pass. He left Jacurri in for the QB run on second down, then pulled him on 3rd down for passing QB Garcia. FSU dropped into coverage when the passing QB came in and picked Garcia off.

It gets worse.

As you pointed out, the mf'er didn't learn his lesson, and put the 3rd string QB in to start a drive from his own 1 yard line tonight.

**** like that.. basically telling your opponent when you're attempting a pass vs a run is ******* lunacy. N/m the limited playbook and the arrogance. Putting your 3rd string QB in to start drives from their own 1 and 2 yard line is.. its crazy. Like check his bank account for betting against his team and throwing games level crazy. Its some **** someone would do in a video game just to make the other team lose.

The TLDR version is I have never seen a coordinator do what Gattis did this year. Not at any level. He is the worst coordinator I have ever seen. And even now, after everything that's gone wrong, if he's as arrogant as some have said, he's still blaming everyone else.

Agreed.

I noted much of the FSU game nonsense in various posts so I did not re-state that stuff in this thread. Thank you for mentioning it though. At the start of tonight's game thread I posted that since the Ga Tech game teams now have film on Brown and that he would have be a throwing QB first if he wants to succeed as a runner. His honeymoon was over.

Again, I feel badly for all three QB's. TVD's market value took a major hit because of Gattis. Jake Garcia's development was hurt by Gattis. ****, I've even joked that Garcia has a solid lawsuit against UM for forcing him to work in a hostile work environment because of Gattis' treatment of him. As well, Brown's development was hurt. We all knew he was 3-4 year project recruit. Gattis forced him into action before he was ready. Brown took way too many big hits for both a QB and a freshman. He's competitive kid and wanted to succeed the only way he knew how, by running hard. Gattis did him no favors with the way he used Brown.

Just complete and total incompetence.

Advertisement
Worst offensive coordinator Ive ever seen in my life. There is simply nothing positive to say about his work this season. He never demonstrated any level of competency this season. Moreover, he showed a complete lack of understanding of how to structure a drive, how to call consecutive plays that build off the previous one, etc...

What I find the most disturbing about his performance this season is how he totally misused the Quarterbacks, specifically Jake Garcia. What Gattis did to Jake Garcia this season was criminal IMO. What we saw tonight was yet another example. Garcia was QB3 all week, which meant that he likely did not get any reps with the first team offense this week. Gattis went to Brown when TVD went down then put Garcia in with the ball on the one yard line. Unreal. Then Garcia comes out looking good in the 3rd quarter, completes three straight passes, gets two first downs and Gattis proceeds to pull him and put Brown in so he could hand it off. That's incompetence.

The ONLY reason Garcia looked so good in the 4th quarter is because Brown was injured. If Brown was available, Gattis would have pulled Garcia at least two more times and inserted Brown for whatever foolish reasons that swirl around in Gattis's low IQ head. Without the fear of being pulled for completing too many consecutive passes, Garcia was free to flourish, which he did. And yes, I never denied being the Conductor of the Jake Garcia hype train this season.

Not only did he hurt Garcia's development, he likely hurt Brown's as well. We know **** well that he hurt TVD's marketability. Josh Gattis destroyed an elite QB room within four months of being hired. That's incompetence.

Every hour that Gattis remains employed by UM is an hour that Mario is failing at his job. The clock is ticking.
Correct on all counts sir! I just want to know how this rube managed to win the Broyles Award.

Advertisement
Again, what I saw from Gattis this season was an extremely Low IQ approach to game management. He did not display even a rudimentary level of competence at any aspect of his job.
He absolutely sucks at game planning and managing the flow of the game as a play caller. He was like that one friend in madden that showed all those differrent formations but sucked *** 🤣🤣🤣.

TVD I expect to transfer. I don't fully believe he wants to be out there and I completely understand why he wouldn't. New coordinator could change that, but I'd be looking at established offenses with solid OL play.

Garcia should transfer. He has a future somewhere if given the opportunity and developed right. Question for me is will he give a new OC here providing Mario does what any sane coach would do, releasing Gattis.

Where's that leave us? **** if I know.
Thats my fear, and to further that why would Emory Williams commit?

That leaves us with one quarterback - Matocha

That said, I think all three come back.

Advertisement
Agreed. Right after Duke. Ponce should have been calling plays after that.

This is my biggest disappointment in Mario this season. Ponce's resume is solid but I believe it lacks experience as a play caller. If Mario did his job the right way, he could have fired Gattis and promoted Ponce to interim OC, which would have given Mario a 3-4 game window to see how Ponce handled being the man in complete charge of the offense. It would have given Mario more data for the upcoming job search.

This is my biggest disappointment in Mario this season. Ponce's resume is solid but I believe it lacks experience as a play caller. If Mario did his job the right way, he could have fired Gattis and promoted Ponce to interim OC, which would have given Mario a 3-4 game window to see how Ponce handled being the man in complete charge of the offense. It would have given Mario more data for the upcoming job search.
There are so many different ways Mario could have handled this offseason. After his press conference, I respect his approach to not speak publicly about things going on inside the orginazation. That is a sign of a mature leader that understands work and culture dynamics. Handling your business this way limits what people from the outside want to know. Its controlled chaos and I believe and hope Mario makes the changes he knows we need as evident from his comments in the post game. As we know, many coaches get fired on that Monday following black friday. Do the right thing Mario lol.

Advertisement
Get Ponce further tf away than anybody. Nothing the QB coach or Passing Game Coordinator did worked for 12 weeks. I hate that mf the most.

If my read on the situation is correct, I think your anger at Ponce is misdirected. Ponce didnt seem to have all that much involvement in Gattis scheme. Im guessing Ponce wanted nothing to do with Gattis' garbage.

Again, the invisible hand will tell the tale. We'll see what the marketplace thinks of both of them if/when they take their next job.

Yep. This is what Saban would have done. For someone who had a front row seat to what the Bama apparatus looks like , Mario certainly didn’t learn one of the most important rules…never put your loyalties to the coaches ahead of the well being of the program. This is a business. Handle it like one because you’re getting paid CEO money.

We should go after Mullen and/or Scott Frost. Let them make the decision about Ponce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back