Josh Ancrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I don't know enough about it but that certainly is the narrative. I read an article from 2016 that said that since 2001, there have been more homicides in Chicago than Americans killed in the Iraq and Afghanistan war(s) combined. That's nuts.
Chicago’s population includes ~850,000 blacks. In 2016, Chicago had 762 murders, over 85% black victims. That puts the AA murder rate in Chicago at about 1/1300. Figure most of the victims were 17–35. Figure that age cohort is ~25% of the overall AA population. The murder rate for blacks 17-35 in Chicago in 2016 was probably OVER 1/500. Add to that the population is <50% male and the murder victims are overwhelmingly male. Your murder rate for young black males in Chicago was likely closer to 1/250 in 2016. That is ASTOUNDING.

Keep in mind, that is ONE YEAR. And doesn’t include people who were shot and didn’t die, or who were shot at, or victims of other crimes. 2016 was a recent high, but ‘80s-‘90s numbers were even higher. Put that number in context. If no one moved in or out, the implication is a young black male in Chicago has an 18/250 chance of being murdered between ages 17-35. That’s about 1/15. And there is definitely a denominator flaw in that data, because not all neighborhoods are equally dangerous, and not all blacks in Chicago are poor or live in poor neighborhoods. Add people who are shot at and don’t die, and the reality is, for many kids in poor neighborhoods in Chicago, life is more dangerous than for American soldiers in war zones.

Here’s what it boils down to at it’s most basic.

Lack of impulse control.

Common with people that haven’t been taught to control their impulses and delay gratification. That’s an actual skill you need for leading a successful life.

You **** me off with your video game, fūck you, I’m gonna shoot you and kill you. Gun’s handy. BLAM.

Of course, now that you’ve stopped to think about it, right after you murdered someone, you realize what a stupid thing that was to let your rage dominate you for that 5 seconds it took to kill another person.

If you were better able to control your impulses, it would’ve never happened. Or you would’ve said let’s step outside and handle this with our hands.

But no, you want immediate personal gratification to resolve your anger against him and you’re not going to wait. Lack of impulse control. Indulging your anger and your rage. I want what I want, when I want it. It defines most crime in America, and everywhere else in the world.

What's the difference between aggravated manslaughter and murder in this situation?

Advertisement
Chicago’s population includes ~850,000 blacks. In 2016, Chicago had 762 murders, over 85% black victims. That puts the AA murder rate in Chicago at about 1/1300. Figure most of the victims were 17–35. Figure that age cohort is ~25% of the overall AA population. The murder rate for blacks 17-35 in Chicago in 2016 was probably OVER 1/500. Add to that the population is <50% male and the murder victims are overwhelmingly male. Your murder rate for young black males in Chicago was likely closer to 1/250 in 2016. That is ASTOUNDING.

Keep in mind, that is ONE YEAR. And doesn’t include people who were shot and didn’t die, or who were shot at, or victims of other crimes. 2016 was a recent high, but ‘80s-‘90s numbers were even higher. Put that number in context. If no one moved in or out, the implication is a young black male in Chicago has an 18/250 chance of being murdered between ages 17-35. That’s about 1/15. And there is definitely a denominator flaw in that data, because not all neighborhoods are equally dangerous, and not all blacks in Chicago are poor or live in poor neighborhoods. Add people who are shot at and don’t die, and the reality is, for many kids in poor neighborhoods in Chicago, life is more dangerous than for American soldiers in war zones.

That's sad. I live in Idaho - nearly 60% of the population owns a gun - not counting guns that aren't registered. If someone gets shot in Idaho, you can't NOT hear about it. I don't understand how people believe the issue to simply be gun control and that socio economics aren't a major factor.

Here’s what it boils down to at it’s most basic.

Lack of impulse control.

Common with people that haven’t been taught to control their impulses and delay gratification. That’s an actual skill you need for leading a successful life.

You **** me off with your video game, fūck you, I’m gonna shoot you and kill you. Gun’s handy. BLAM.

Of course, now that you’ve stopped to think about it, right after you murdered someone, you realize what a stupid thing that was to let your rage dominate you for that 5 seconds it took to kill another person.

If you were better able to control your impulses, it would’ve never happened. Or you would’ve said let’s step outside and handle this with our hands.

But no, you want immediate personal gratification to resolve your anger against him and you’re not going to wait. Lack of impulse control. Indulging your anger and your rage. I want what I want, when I want it. It defines most crime in America, and everywhere else in the world.
Life is a series of split decisions...

Life is a series of split decisions...

It can be.

It’s important to try and teach our youth not to make bad split decisions, to either delay a decision or make a better one. The key is taking just a few seconds to gather yourself take a breath and not do something stupid. And I’m not preaching I’m just talking facts.

How much crime can be avoided if people just stopped, counted to 10, and took a breath.

Advertisement
It can be.

It’s important to try and teach our youth not to make bad split decisions, to either delay a decision or make a better one. The key is taking just a few seconds to gather yourself take a breath and not do something stupid. And I’m not preaching I’m just talking facts.

How much crime can be avoided if people just stopped, counted to 10, and took a breath.
So very true my man. You had a few drinks, do you put the keys in the ignition or call Uber. Just one example that could change a life. This list is limitless. Parents may want to consider being parents and not their kids best friend as well. I pray I am doing a good job, I can say categorically that my children are loved but they hear the word “No” allot and if they act like a dink there are consequences.

So very true my man. You had a few drinks, do you put the keys in the ignition or call Uber. Just one example that could change a life. This list is limitless. Parents may want to consider being parents and not their kids best friend as well. I pray I am doing a good job, I can say categorically that my children are loved but they hear the word “No” allot and if they act like a dink there are consequences.

It can't be overstated how important parenting is...especially now days. One of the best pieces of advice I received before I had my first kid was to do whatever you can to sit around a table and have dinner each night. Let your kids talk to you.

A little discipline and a lot of love.

Advertisement
There isnt an uptick

Is there more Mass shootings.....Yes

But Murders as a whole are declining and arent reaching the numbers of the 80s and 90s

Murders are WAY down, even after a slight bump recently - including in Miami. Murder in NYC last year was about 300. In 1990, it was 2200. Miami's peak was about 600, and is now under 100.

Murders are WAY down, even after a slight bump recently - including in Miami. Murder in NYC last year was about 300. In 1990, it was 2200. Miami's peak was about 600, and is now under 100.

Are Miami's numbers only for the city of Miami or all of Dade County.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back