Joseph Yearby

Coley flipping him was huge. We need one or two RB for this class. Getting McKenzie would be awesome.

Advertisement
Dam, Yearby has gotten from good back to duke without even playing a game, at this rate dude will be goat once he gets to UM. CIS gon CIS

The thing that makes Yearby's tape so impressive is the same thing that made Duke's HS tape great: the vision. In HS some backs are just bigger or faster and dominate HS comp. by being physically better. I'm not saying Yearby lacks physical qualities. Far from it. What he has that is going to make him an impact back on the next level: great vision and great feet. Same as Duke. You add vision and feet to toughness and speed and you have a good to really good to great college running back.

I said this before: the Duke Johnson I saw as a freshman at Miami was the same guy I saw on his HS tapes. You put Duke's HS tape against his Miami freshman tape and it's the same guy. I say this because 90% of the time when players jump levels you sit and wonder, "did this guy forget how to run?" or "did this qb forget how to pass the ball?"
Not with Duke, and I will forecast that with Yearby, the guy we see in HS will be the same in College.
He's going to be great.

I've been trying to put my finger on a running style that's like Yearby's, and it finally clicked.

Yearby is a faster/smaller Ladainian Tomlinson. The upper body lean, the ability to cut at full speed, the stiff arm...all of that looks like a mini LT.

I disagree with this on multiple levels. Duke is more like LT in almost every way. The striking similarity being that they waste almost zero movement in their cutbacks. As you can see from Yearby's highlights, he's bouncy and shifty with his feet. He jukes side to side before going forward. He doesn't use the strong plant off one leg and get upfield. In this way, he's more like Doug Martin. In fact, he's a lot like Doug Martin in a lot of ways pre-roids (or whatever).

- Both are 5' 9"
- Both entered college around 190ish
- Both are squaty
- Both are good at everything, but not outstanding at one thing
- Both are seemingly 4.55 or so runners
- Both are shuttle guys (Martin ran a 4.1 shuttle in the combine)
- Both depend a lot on balance
- Both are often overlooked because they're not "freaks" in any area
- Both are productive

Martin was a 2 star recruit.

Lu, if Duke can keep up with how Tomlinson progressed physically......oh boy.....

Lu, if Duke can keep up with how Tomlinson progressed physically......oh boy.....

He's gaining good weight. Wouldn't be surprised if he left here closer to 205. Mind you, I was talking about the RBs as styles - not predictions/production.

Advertisement
If Yearby didnt have to split carries with Cook, he could have 3x 2000 yard seasons in Dade. Marinate on that for a minute.

Hard to tell how good Yearby is because no one is making contact with him until he is well into the second level. I agree that he appears to have very good vision, as evidenced by his work out of the wildcat. Also looks like he runs hard, delivering a blow instead of receiving. That stop-start juke at 3:30 was impressive. I LOL'ed.

Advertisement
Reminds me of Portis. I remember he came in and people tagged him as the shifty rb who lacked top end speed; by the time he hit the draft, he was considered a burner. Yearby ain't slow by any means.

Yearby is not only NOT slow, but he's got better wiggle than Sony or Cook.

Half the time, Yearby doesn't lose time by planting and hard cutting or running laterally (e.g. Cook). Kid just misdirects defenders with the slightest change in hip direction, and then slips by you in that six inches of space his wiggle created.

Love this kid's tape. So. Much.

Advertisement
Better than Collins and a prime time player... Sony hurts b.c. he has been on the radar for five years. But kid ain't a duke, ain't a leader.

Yearby is the goods though and as long as he has a back to spell him, we are straighti

Given our O-line class I love seeing a between the tackles runner with great vision. If he is truly 190 now, he will be plenty durable for that role after hitting college weights. Happy to march down the field 6-8 yards at a time.

Advertisement
Better than Collins and a prime time player... Sony hurts b.c. he has been on the radar for five years. But kid ain't a duke, ain't a leader.

Yearby is the goods though and as long as he has a back to spell him, we are straighti

Better than Collins because he is a cane or as a rb?

I can respect guys who say what they feel but comeon Collins was a straight beast last year. No one was on his level when healthy. Dude carried a terrible team

Yearby is a good player but some of you guys are losing it.

Reminds me of Portis. I remember he came in and people tagged him as the shifty rb who lacked top end speed; by the time he hit the draft, he was considered a burner. Yearby ain't slow by any means.

Love the Portis comparison. Yearby wont have the space to make the kind of cuts and moves he makes in HS, but if you adjusts slightly and becomes more of a slasher, he'll be dynamite! His footwork is impressive and his vision is unique. Yearby is a better RB than Cook but Cook could be special if it all comes together....

Anoyone else find it kind of sad that, if not for Coley being hired, the TOP 3 RSs in SFLA would all be committed to playing their college ball elsewhere...

Advertisement
Back