Joseph Yearby

1CN

Sophomore
[video=youtube;deIXH-uFt2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deIXH-uFt2o[/video]

Advertisement
Complements in competition
Miami Central Under Armour All-Americans create perfect backfield balance

Tom Hauck for Student Sports
Miami Central running backs Dalvin Cook and Joseph Yearby, also known as Thunder and Lightning, will play together -- maybe for the last time -- in the 2014 Under Armour All-America Game.
LenDale White and Reggie Bush, they are not.

Miami Central running back Joseph Yearby stands 5-foot-9 and weighs 191 pounds. Backfield mate Dalvin Cook is 5-foot-11, 187 pounds. From the outset of their careers at the reigning Class 6A titlist in Florida, coaches, teammates and fans have called them Thunder and Lightning.

To be clear, Yearby provides the thunder. The ESPN Watch List prospect and Miami commit rushed for 1,448 yards and 20 touchdowns last fall as a junior, including 125 and a pair of scores in the state title game against Gainesville High.

Cook, the lightning, gained 1,452 yards and scored 21 touchdowns last year.

"We motivate each other to get better every day," said Cook, pledged to Clemson and another Watch List selection.

Both backs remain open about their college choices. They want to take official visits together.

"We've talked about it," Yearby said, "going to the same school."

Yearby and Cook form one of the best running back tandems in Florida prep history. They largely devise their own playing rotation. Their connection is unique.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...joseph-yearby-dalvin-cook-perfect-complements

I've been trying to put my finger on a running style that's like Yearby's, and it finally clicked.

Yearby is a faster/smaller Ladainian Tomlinson. The upper body lean, the ability to cut at full speed, the stiff arm...all of that looks like a mini LT.

Advertisement
he is so shifty its ridiculous i love yearby great get now we need him and darling to convince cook to come to theU

I've been trying to put my finger on a running style that's like Yearby's, and it finally clicked.

Yearby is a faster/smaller Ladainian Tomlinson. The upper body lean, the ability to cut at full speed, the stiff arm...all of that looks like a mini LT.

Funny because when Duke was being recruited Tomlinson was the first name that came to mind, and Yearby does remind me a little bit of Duke.

I would have to see a scale before I believe that Yearby outweighs Cook though.

Reminds me of the Muscle Hamster in Tampa

Kid is a beast.

I still think we need to compliment him with Sony or Cook.

Call me optimistic, but I don't see either of those two commitments (Sony/Cook) sticking.

Advertisement

Honestly, he looks like Duke in his HS highlights. It's a disservice to call him "Thunder" because there is lightning in those legs as well. Yearby may not have the long speed of Cook, but he sure looks fast getting through the hole and is not the type of back to succumb to arm tackles. When you add in his remarkable vision and wiggle he looks like a complete back.

What a great F'n Back! For real. this kid can play- hits the hole quick, great vision..just great overall game- plenty of speed, enough power. I know we all would love to get cook or sony as well, but if we don't- we are still FINE. Duke and Elder and Yearby already looks like an insane rb chart.

Duke comparisons are legit, their styles are very similar. Can't wait to see this kid in orange and green. Heard he's an EE, too, that right?

Advertisement
Dam, Yearby has gotten from good back to duke without even playing a game, at this rate dude will be goat once he gets to UM. CIS gon CIS

That fluidity and sixth sense in traffic is elite. I'm ecstatic Coley flipped him.

Wow. The kid is a stud. Great vision, runs really well both inside and out. Though to defend and bring down. Excellent, excellent back. I'm super glad he's a Cane!!!

Advertisement
Greatest thing is, its exactly like what we got in 2012. A hulk of an O Lineman in Darling with Yearby, and their connection from high school trading over to college.

Disagree with the Duke comparisons. I reminds me a lot more of Gio Bernard. Same build, similar running styles and both have the tag "lacks top end speed" even though i have never seen either caught from behind.

Last edited:
Disagree with the Duke comparisons. I reminds me a lot more of Gio Bernard.

Duke was a stud his junior year but he took it out of the stratosphere his senior year. I know Yearby and Cook will split carries but this will be best revisited after their senior years.

I don't necessarily compare him to Duke but you can see how they could be utilized in a similar way here.

Advertisement
Back