Joseph Yearby Freshman Highlights

He's a good RB. Nowhere near Duke, Dunn, Cook, but he's a good one. Graig Cooper is a more accurate comparison.

Yearby is a way better back than Cooper and it's not even close. Cooper didn't play any competition near to what Yearby did in Dade. Cooper was ok here and quite a bit overrated coming out.

While it's premature. Dunn is who Yearby reminded me of when watching him at Central. Although I think Dunn was a bit faster.

While I do believe Cook is better than Yearby and has the higher ceiling. Yearby is no slouch and is a top flight back.

Yearby what stands and stood out about him is his footwork, cutting, explosion in the first few yards and his ability in the passing game.

While I don't think Yearby will break the records Duke did here. Duke was special. I think Yearby will be a great back and I can see him getting over the 1000 yard mark during his time here at least once or twice.

My only knock on Yearby is he needs a little more meat in his thighs which is what will help him bust through more tackles. His lower body is what he needs to work on.

Yearby is not slow, he has good speed but he is not a burner either.

He'll give you consistent 5-10 to 15 yarders and the occasional 50 yarder every now and then. You don't need to be a home run threat to be a great back.

Too many peeps are enamored with speed a bit too much though. Yes I like speed just as much as everyone here but speed is not everything at all. It's about your technique, patience, vision. It's the little things. For every speedy back you list I can list you backs who were not burners who are/were just as good.

Advertisement
Thing is. Yearby didn't have the opportunity to be the feature back as a freshman as someone pointed out earlier due to the fact we had Duke Johnson the all-time Miami leading rusher and all purpose yardage leader.

He will have even more opportunities this upcoming season.

While I don't think he will get the amount of carries as they gave Duke this past year. 242... Doubling Joes touches this year would be about 160-170 touches out of the backfield alone. You're looking at 1000 or more rushing yards if Joe is the feature back if you double his 86 carries as a freshman. He missed a game too.

Advertisement
One of Yearby's best attributes is his receiving ability out of the backfield. My only concern for him is his size. Dude got swallowed up by DL and LB last year.

Yearby looks quick and shifty, but it seems he lacks the burst and power that Duke had.

We need a guy like Edwards/Gray/Walton to compliment him because I don't think he can handle getting 18+ carries a game.

Yearby has extremely quick feet but I might be stating the obvious but the holes he was running through were huge. That offensive line play was great.

Advertisement
I love watching running backs like Joe. Those guys that hit the hole at full speed and make one cut and they are gone. He was so close to breaking a ton of plays, making 1 more guy miss and he would have had a TD, I saw at least 3 plays like that in this highlight.

Maybe he gets a little stronger/faster this off season and he takes those to the house next year. Him and Gus compliment the other really well and I think that lets us keep a fresh guy on the field every down next year. We can limit Yearby to 12-18 touches a game and each one of them be explosive and keep him fresh.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He's a good RB. Nowhere near Duke, Dunn, Cook, but he's a good one. Graig Cooper is a more accurate comparison.

Yearby is a way better back than Cooper and it's not even close. Cooper didn't play any competition near to what Yearby did in Dade. Cooper was ok here and quite a bit overrated coming out.

While it's premature. Dunn is who Yearby reminded me of when watching him at Central. Although I think Dunn was a bit faster.

While I do believe Cook is better than Yearby and has the higher ceiling. Yearby is no slouch and is a top flight back.

Yearby what stands and stood out about him is his footwork, cutting, explosion in the first few yards and his ability in the passing game.

While I don't think Yearby will break the records Duke did here. Duke was special. I think Yearby will be a great back and I can see him getting over the 1000 yard mark during his time here at least once or twice.

My only knock on Yearby is he needs a little more meat in his thighs which is what will help him bust through more tackles. His lower body is what he needs to work on.

He'll give you consistent 5-10 to 15 yarders and the occasional 50 yarder every now and then. You don't need to be a home run threat to be a great back.

Too many peeps are enamored with speed a bit too much though. Yes I like speed just as much as everyone here but speed is not everything at all. It's about your technique, patience, vision. It's the little things. For every speedy back you list I can list you backs who were not burners who are/were just as good.

Here's my very long winded thing with Yearby:

IMO - he falls into the same category as Graig Cooper and Tyrone Moss. Both were good, productive RB's here, but their talent level was a bit overrated coming in. They're kind of hated on because they didn't live up to their hype, but they still were good RB's. Yearby is the same.

Moss - the comparison was Gore/McGahee. Cooper - the comparison was Reggie Bush. Yearby - being compared here to Duke/Dunn. It's just not realistic, and kind of unfair to throw out those comparisons.

Here's why:

HIGH SCHOOL & RECRUITING:

A large reason why Yearby rushed for so many yards in Dade is because he got so many carries. Take any really good Dade/Broward RB, and Yearby had about a full seasons worth more of carries during his career. There's probably 20 or 30 So Fla RB's that could've had similar total yards if they had gotten as many carries as Yearby did. If you look at his per carry numbers - they weren't that special.

Yearby was kind of a victim of his early success - rushing for 2,000 yards as a Sophomore. That caused his recruiting rating to be inflated early, and no one ever brought it back down to a more realistic/accurate level. The same kind of thing happened with Charlie Jones and Kylan Robinson when they rushed for 400 yards in one game.

PRODUCTION

Freshman Year:

Yearby - 86 carries - 509 yds - 5.9 avg. - 1 TD
Cooper - 125 carries - 682 yds - 5.5 avg. - 4 TD
Dunn - 68 carries - 500 yds - 7.5 avg. - 4 TD - 350 rec yds - 6 rec TD

Yearby's numbers are similar to Cooper, but Dunn was just WAY more explosive. Cooper actually backed up Javarris James his freshman year, much like Yearby was backing up Gus Edwards this year. Lamar Miller jumped ahead of Damien Berry his freshman year. Duke jumped ahead of Mike James.

Gus Edwards was hurt the FSU and UVA games, but when he came back he started over Yearby and got more carries in the Pitt in South Carolina games. If Yearby was going to be "great", that wouldn't have happened.

Yearby had 62% of his carries 67% of his yards in 4 games - FAMU, Ak St., Cinncinnati, UNC. He had zero carries against Louisville and Nebraska. Yearby's numbers are a bit inflated against bad opponents whereas Cooper was shouldering a bigger load against better opponents, on a less talented Miami team.

SPEED:

Yes speed isn't everything, but Dunn was a 4.3 guy while Yearby is a 4.6 guy. HUGE difference. And if you're a small RB that's not going to be breaking tackles, speed becomes that much more important.

Yearby had 86 carries, and only 3 went over 15 yards, and he only had 1 TD.

It's not just that Yearby isn't a home run hitter, he's not even hitting doubles. If you look at any Miami RB, and I do mean ANY - on a per carry basis, they were breaking long runs and scoring TD's a much higher % of the time than Yearby. I literally think Lee Chambers is the only exception here. If you did the same with his high school stats vs other top Dade/Broward RB's, same results.

Yearby is lightning quick, and will avoid the first guy, problem is he just can't get away from the 2nd guy.

Yearby to me doesn't look like he has the frame to put on much more weight. It worked out for Duke because he had speed to spare. Duke could afford to go from a 4.4 to a 4.5. But Yearby can't afford to go from a 4.6 to a 4.7.

FUTURE:

Graig Cooper's Soph Year - 171 carries - 841 yds - 4.9 avg. - 4 TD.

I think that's a realistic stat line for Yearby this year, but I'd put that on the high end. He's pretty even with Gus now, and if Gray continues to get better and with Walton coming in - I just don't see him as head and shoulders above those other guys to get the majority of the carries. I wouldn't argue against him being the best of that group, but he's not THAT much better. It's pretty close.

As far as Miami RB's - I think he's in the Tyrone Moss, Graig Cooper, Damien Berry Tier. Again, if you want to argue he's the best of that bunch, I have no problem with that. But they're all just good, productive RB's. They're not 1,000 yard, 1st Team All-ACC types (3rd team ACC maybe).

IMO - people want to either over rate him and make him the next Duke/Dunn, or under rate him by saying he's a bust and he sucks. I don't agree with either. He's just a good solid player, like a lot of guys on this roster. This board seems to always want to make a player out to be great or terrible - but has a problem when someone is just "good".

Yearby/Dunn comparison is spot on.

I don't fully see it. Dunn had long speed that Yearby does not. Perhaps you're talking about style, and while there may be some comparison there, Yearby is more jittery than Warrick Dunn and Warrick had more explosiveness.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yearby's cutting ability is dangerous. He plants that foot and just accelerates upfield. I'm excited to see him as the main ball carrier next year.

Yearby's cut back ability is ridiculous. It was Duke w/ the stiff arm and vision and now we enter into the Yearby years w/ the cut back and vision. He definitely needs to add more weight to his frame...more muscle than anything. If he can maintain a 4.55-4.6 40 speed w/ that 1.7 10 yrd split by adding 10 lbs of solid muscle...we may have our next RBU back. Cook got all the praise after Yearby went down, but before Yearby tore his leg up, he was savage. He played last year at 90% healthy...can't wait to see what he will do at 100% healthy.

Here's my very long winded thing with Yearby:

IMO - he falls into the same category as Graig Cooper and Tyrone Moss. Both were good, productive RB's here, but their talent level was a bit overrated coming in. They're kind of hated on because they didn't live up to their hype, but they still were good RB's. Yearby is the same.

Moss - the comparison was Gore/McGahee. Cooper - the comparison was Reggie Bush. Yearby - being compared here to Duke/Dunn. It's just not realistic, and kind of unfair to throw out those comparisons.

Here's why:

HIGH SCHOOL & RECRUITING:

A large reason why Yearby rushed for so many yards in Dade is because he got so many carries. Take any really good Dade/Broward RB, and Yearby had about a full seasons worth more of carries during his career. There's probably 20 or 30 So Fla RB's that could've had similar total yards if they had gotten as many carries as Yearby did. If you look at his per carry numbers - they weren't that special.

Yearby was kind of a victim of his early success - rushing for 2,000 yards as a Sophomore. That caused his recruiting rating to be inflated early, and no one ever brought it back down to a more realistic/accurate level. The same kind of thing happened with Charlie Jones and Kylan Robinson when they rushed for 400 yards in one game.

PRODUCTION

Freshman Year:

Yearby - 86 carries - 509 yds - 5.9 avg. - 1 TD
Cooper - 125 carries - 682 yds - 5.5 avg. - 4 TD
Dunn - 68 carries - 500 yds - 7.5 avg. - 4 TD - 350 rec yds - 6 rec TD

Yearby's numbers are similar to Cooper, but Dunn was just WAY more explosive. Cooper actually backed up Javarris James his freshman year, much like Yearby was backing up Gus Edwards this year. Lamar Miller jumped ahead of Damien Berry his freshman year. Duke jumped ahead of Mike James.

Gus Edwards was hurt the FSU and UVA games, but when he came back he started over Yearby and got more carries in the Pitt in South Carolina games. If Yearby was going to be "great", that wouldn't have happened.

Yearby had 62% of his carries 67% of his yards in 4 games - FAMU, Ak St., Cinncinnati, UNC. He had zero carries against Louisville and Nebraska. Yearby's numbers are a bit inflated against bad opponents whereas Cooper was shouldering a bigger load against better opponents, on a less talented Miami team.

SPEED:

Yes speed isn't everything, but Dunn was a 4.3 guy while Yearby is a 4.6 guy. HUGE difference. And if you're a small RB that's not going to be breaking tackles, speed becomes that much more important.

Yearby had 86 carries, and only 3 went over 15 yards, and he only had 1 TD.

It's not just that Yearby isn't a home run hitter, he's not even hitting doubles. If you look at any Miami RB, and I do mean ANY - on a per carry basis, they were breaking long runs and scoring TD's a much higher % of the time than Yearby. I literally think Lee Chambers is the only exception here. If you did the same with his high school stats vs other top Dade/Broward RB's, same results.

Yearby is lightning quick, and will avoid the first guy, problem is he just can't get away from the 2nd guy.

Yearby to me doesn't look like he has the frame to put on much more weight. It worked out for Duke because he had speed to spare. Duke could afford to go from a 4.4 to a 4.5. But Yearby can't afford to go from a 4.6 to a 4.7.

FUTURE:

Graig Cooper's Soph Year - 171 carries - 841 yds - 4.9 avg. - 4 TD.

I think that's a realistic stat line for Yearby this year, but I'd put that on the high end. He's pretty even with Gus now, and if Gray continues to get better and with Walton coming in - I just don't see him as head and shoulders above those other guys to get the majority of the carries. I wouldn't argue against him being the best of that group, but he's not THAT much better. It's pretty close.

As far as Miami RB's - I think he's in the Tyrone Moss, Graig Cooper, Damien Berry Tier. Again, if you want to argue he's the best of that bunch, I have no problem with that. But they're all just good, productive RB's. They're not 1,000 yard, 1st Team All-ACC types (3rd team ACC maybe).

IMO - people want to either over rate him and make him the next Duke/Dunn, or under rate him by saying he's a bust and he sucks. I don't agree with either. He's just a good solid player, like a lot of guys on this roster. This board seems to always want to make a player out to be great or terrible - but has a problem when someone is just "good".

Tyrone Moss busted cause he ate too much and was really really out of shape.

Cooper was extremely overrated. That dude ran way too much east and west and danced too much and got nowhere. He was OK. He was not good at all, he was ok but he was the only thing we really had.

Damien Berry was a tier above Cooper. He was good, not great but he was good.

If we are talking about stats in high school. Yearby averaged 8 yards a carry in high school career which is just like stat lines of other great backs that have come out recently or over time. He averaged 10 a carry his senior year and missed 3 games to end the playoffs if I recall correctly.

Duke and Cook are the only backs I remember in recent history that had averaged 10 yards a carry their whole high school career. They were special.

Yearby runs north and south. Not east and west like Cooper.

In the low 4.6 to high 4.5 range in his forty yard dash.

While I didn't compare Yearby to Duke or Cook as I think both are better than him. I do believe he will be a great back here.

Yearby reminds me a bit of Dunn in his style when I had watched him at Central. And as for LuCanes comment on it. More like that yes. As Dunn was faster.

I will say though if you believe Dunn ran a legitimate 4.3, I doubt it. 4.4 yes, Dunn had the long speed that Yearby doesn't posses though as he was very good in track and ran a 100 meter in 10.3

I do recall many times where Yearby was brought out to the field before Gus. Yearby wasn't given many opportunities near the goal line though as Gus did. However Yearby was more effective in more touches and yards and plays he had. You can make the argument Gus has done good against bad competition as well.

*** Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but Yearby was a great back in high school too, I don't see what you're trying to discredit him from there. Running for 10 yards a carry your senior year against top 8A football in dade and 8 for your career is pretty good.

We'll see what unfolds this season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back