Jose Borregales

giphy.gif

That's my kicker.
Man! I can't stop watching that! So f-ing awesome and the way he looks down after body slamming him... love it

Advertisement
The NCAA changed the tee rule on 1989. Huerta graduated in 1991. He was money on short kicks but he didn’t have a strong leg at all. Erickson wasn’t going to run Huerta out there to kick a 57 yarder like Manny did with Borregales. If it’s a game winning kick inside 40 yards, it’s Huerta all day. Anything longer than that, I’ll take the current guy.

Is he the best kicker we have ever had? Has to be the best since Sievers or Bosher, but so far he is better. A crazy stat I saw: Borregales was 5 of 7 last year on kicks of OVER 50 YARDS! That is just incredible! Huge pick up by Diaz and I hope he will stay for next year, but he is the most NFL-ready kicker i have ever seen.
He might be because i use to get nervous when we kicked field goals now i don't.. shout to borregales

Advertisement
In looking up kickers found this link that shows many of our recent players have set records. Records are cool, winning is cooler.

Hurricane stats

By the way, as I recall Huerta never missed an extra point.

Huge fan of Borregales. What a difference he's made. We lost a bunch of games last year and the year before due to a really poor Kicking game. It made the whole team feel shaky & losses inevitable. The consistency of Borregales has been a huge part of re-establishing a winning culture & a really solid foundation to build upon. It's completely changed the complexion of the team.

Hopefully, this will continue to be a priority in recruiting going forward...and Manny will never forget how bad the kicking game was and how many games that cost us.

Huerta was money for the Canes. He played for the Bears for a while (probably one of the worst spots he could have played). Had he played in a dome or a warm weather climate, he likely would have played longer in the NFL. He was incredibly consistent for us. Borregales has the edge on kicks of 45+ yards but both are great Canes.

Advertisement
between Jose and Jason Sanders these are the best kickers I’ve seen Miami football have at the same time as far as I can remember

Huerta kicked off a tee. Did not have the distance that Borregales has. Biggest leg since Danny Miller. Huerta was money inside 40 yards.
Everybody keeps talking about 40 yds. and beyond which is important but what about pressure situations. Huerta kicked more game winners or ties than any other K at UM, also holds the UM record for most consecutive PATs

Everybody keeps talking about 40 yds. and beyond which is important but what about pressure situations. Huerta kicked more game winners or ties than any other K at UM, also holds the UM record for most consecutive PATs
Yup.

And let's face it. Our coaches and players were not thinking about long FGs. They were thinking about scoring TDs. And if a drive stalled we would punt it knowing our dominant Defense could get the ball back and/or we can win field position.

Advertisement
In looking up kickers found this link that shows many of our recent players have set records. Records are cool, winning is cooler.

Hurricane stats

By the way, as I recall Huerta never missed an extra point.

He did miss an extra point after some 100 or so straight...
... I remember that because the tv commentator back then, mentioned that just before he missed.. i nearly threw my drink through the tv trying to hit that idiot commentator..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back