Jordan Lyle SR highlights

Advertisement
Type wise - he's the good at everything, not great at anything type RB. All around solid, a nice take, high floor but not high ceiling type.

Talent wise - he's on a par with the RB's we had this year & similar to the Dade/Broward RB's we've been getting the last 10 years.

Style wise - I can see the Walton comparisons. Just a little leaner, a little faster, and a lot more self-awareness.
Good comparison and should be a solid back for us if that’s the case. Walton was okay at Miami but if he was a little faster like Lyle he could have put up some big numbers imo

Based on our past discussions - I find it hard to believe you'd be happy if we just kept taking Dade/Broward RB's every year that never play in the NFL.

If you're not expecting NFL for Lyle, then why comp him to James White? Why would Parrish/Walton comps be underselling Lyle?
Because they both have limitations from a frame or speed standpoint that he coming out of high school doesnt have. ( I like both players)
When Ajay Allen commited - I said I'm not expecting Gore/McGahee - but I am expecting guys we take to reach a Homer/Dallas level. You replied to me saying your expectations were Duke/Lamar.

If a kid runs for 1k/10 TD's - then only 1 out of our last 9 Dade/Broward would be a hit (Walton). Yearby is only other 1k rusher. The other 7 didn't get close.

I don't get the Dolphins RB example - Mostert didn't hit 1k / 10TD because he was a WR in college & Achane didn't. But Wilson, Edmonds, Gaskin, Ahmed all did (all the other RB's they've used the past 2 years).

It doesn't add up to me. IMO - it doesn't make sense if someone said something like "I comp Fletcher to Derrick Henry, but I don't expect him to make the FL"
Because the comp could be playing style, run balance, breakaway speed not exactly their nfl careers.

Because as you have stated on my dolphins squad the guys u named for the most part fall around the Mark Walton mode, and had it not been for Mark Walton coming off of his bi polar meds some of them wouldnt even have as long a career thats how weird the nfl rb rooms are now adays. The Mostert example is because he was a below mid player at any position in college and now has become a really good pro, what does that have to do with Purdue though?. He was a special teams guy there.

Easy comp-
He's from his alma mater but he is a taller version of James White.

Ive been calling him the back we should target and prioritize from the class started.

I see alot of the post saying ..typical south florida back weve been getting as if thats a diss or a let down...meanwhile he is currently committed to Ohio State who isnt actually a team that struggles to get rbs especially in their region and conference.

If he flips it would be big regardless what Riley does. Other than Fort Lauderdale High and Boyd Anderson there was no lay ups on his schedule. He's playing against some good defenses and doing his thing.

Him and Riley in the same class would be A+...and im not even adding in CWH from my rival high school in Hollywood
James White and his family are good people.

I played a good bit of travel baseball with him.

Advertisement
Respectfully, Lyle is more physically gifted than all of these backs; none have his combination of size, speed, contact-balance & athleticism.

Maybe he is. Do you have size speed measurements for him? I only see size of varies. By my eyes he's not a better size/speed combo than Chaney or Cam. Looks like a good enough athlete, but nothing special athletically.

In regards to the contact balance - that's where I have an issue if he's close to the 6'0" 180 he's listed at. That's a lot of filling out he needs to do.

For Example - that 2nd clip in his highlights looks GREAT, but 0% a run like that translates. He's not going to stiff arm 2 dudes. come to a dead stop, jump in the air, spin one way, break more tackles while spinning back, then break 2 more tackles on the way to the end zone.

Because as you have stated on my dolphins squad the guys u named for the most part fall around the Mark Walton mode

That's so disrespectful to Walton!!

None of those dudes got even close to putting up the numbers Walton did.

Not even Wilson behind North Texas's OL. Not even Edmonds behind Fordham's OL.

1702677898678.png

Last edited:
That's so disrespectful to Walton!!

None of those dudes got even close to putting up the numbers Walton did.

Not even Wilson behind North Texas's OL. Not even Edmonds behind Fordham's OL.

View attachment 272141
Walton started over Gaskin. Didn't play with the other guys.

I'm glad we finally agree on the NFL criteria. It's the best way to judge talent. But of course, making the NFL is only meaningful to players not named Mark Walton.

Advertisement

I'm glad we finally agree on the NFL criteria. It's the best way to judge talent. But of course, making the NFL is only meaningful to players not named Mark Walton.

Walton definitely did start over Gaskin for 4 games. Kalen Ballage started over Gaskin for 6. Patrick Laird for 4.

Speaking of Kalen Ballage - he started over Walton for 2 games. Here's Balage's numbers in those 6 starts.

There's certainly no denying Ballage's talent. He was definitely a starting NFL talent - no question.

1702679513311.png

2019 Dolphins are the worst rushing team in the last 17 years. There were actively trying to tank, and therefore were playing bad players. They traded their starting RB - Kenyan Drake.

I don't think starting the same amount of games as Kalen Ballage & Patrick Laird in one of the worst backfields ever is really something to brag about - but to each their own.

Myles Gaskin also stole the Dolphins starting job from Matt Breida & Jordan Howard the next year - but they're definitely no Ballage & Laird!

Maybe he is. Do you have size speed measurements for him? I only see size of varies. By my eyes he's not a better size/speed combo than Chaney or Cam. Looks like a good enough athlete, but nothing special athletically.

In regards to the contact balance - that's where I have an issue if he's close to the 6'0" 180 he's listed at. That's a lot of filling out he needs to do.

For Example - that 2nd clip in his highlights looks GREAT, but 0% a run like that translates. He's not going to stiff arm 2 dudes. come to a dead stop, jump in the air, spin one way, break more tackles while spinning back, then break 2 more tackles on the way to the end zone.

I really don't; only what everyone else has access to and then what my eyes tell me.

Appears to have a larger natural frame than Don with better body composition at a similar stage and room to add more 'good' weight, but he doesn't seem to have the same top end speed. I see more lateral quickness and athleticism than Cam with similar top-end speed.

We've had faster and bigger backs, but not someone who possesses the same level of natural gifts in combination all-around ability. Citizen brought the most to the table recently and I think we're all looking forward to seeing what he can do post-injury.

Some of the compound movement and dexterity we see from H.S. athletes translates to body-control at the next level. What they do with that ability via work-ethic is another story, but I feel strongly he'll be able to make people miss 1 on 1 and break tackles.

Is he going to be Barry Sanders? Of course not. But I see things like that and think there is an opportunity for him to be a solid every-down back that can withstand the punishment of the position.

Last edited:
My hope is Lyle can actually become what Canes fans thought Walton was.

Agree. BTW, I personally never thought Yearby, Walton or Cam would be the next Duke. Duke was special. These other three were good. And of the three, I would absolutely have ranked Walton at the top. So if Lyle can be what we hoped Walton would be, that's "good enough" for me, even if it's not Duke Johnson level, much less Dalvin Cook level.

There are some other kids we missed like Gio Bernard and Davonta Freeman who were more along the comp level quality-wise I see could be Lyle's peek. Not saying he'll ever get to that. But if he's between Walton and those two, I'll be ecstatic.

Advertisement

Can he play QB?

Walton definitely did start over Gaskin for 4 games. Kalen Ballage started over Gaskin for 6. Patrick Laird for 4.

Speaking of Kalen Ballage - he started over Walton for 2 games. Here's Balage's numbers in those 6 starts.

There's certainly no denying Ballage's talent. He was definitely a starting NFL talent - no question.

View attachment 272152

2019 Dolphins are the worst rushing team in the last 17 years. There were actively trying to tank, and therefore were playing bad players. They traded their starting RB - Kenyan Drake.

I don't think starting the same amount of games as Kalen Ballage & Patrick Laird in one of the worst backfields ever is really something to brag about - but to each their own.

Myles Gaskin also stole the Dolphins starting job from Matt Breida & Jordan Howard the next year - but they're definitely no Ballage & Laird!
All jokes aside, the fundamental flaw in your Walton argument is that you ignore his value in the passing game and as an overall football player. His running ability was not exceptional by Miami running back standards. But he was an outstanding pass blocker, had great hands and had a nose for the end zone.

This is the reason he started over the other guys on the Dolphins. Flores and Grier loved him and were negotiating with his agent when he fell apart off the field. He was a New England type of back and would've had a long NFL career if not for personal demons.

I don’t think Mario was thinking of a swap of Riley with Lyle. I actually think he wants both.
We’ve had arguments on who was better. Rooster or Parish.
Walton or Yearby.
Idgaf bring them both.
Who ends up better is anyone’s guess.
The hardest thing to predict is who will adap to the next level.

As long as both can give us yards and keep defenses honest idgaf.
As it’s stands now when it comes to “projection” the highest upside dude is Fletcher.

Advertisement
All jokes aside, the fundamental flaw in your Walton argument is that you ignore his value in the passing game and as an overall football player. His running ability was not exceptional by Miami running back standards. But he was an outstanding pass blocker, had great hands and had a nose for the end zone.

This is the reason he started over the other guys on the Dolphins. Flores and Grier loved him and were negotiating with his agent when he fell apart off the field. He was a New England type of back and would've had a long NFL career if not for personal demons.
i dont think @bshaw28 follows the dolphins like me and you do.

Dude came in on a flyer and the coaches loved him. Like i stated he was primed b4 not fully addressing his mental health diagnosis.

Like stated if dude is in that mold between the names of Walton and behind this type of oline and commitment to the run game he will be a solid to an above avg player.

Maybe Fletcher & Lyle are big time RB's. That's still TBD.

But the same "He's a stud RB because he dominated South Florida" logic was also applied to Yearby, Walton, Cam, Knighton, Chaney, Parrish & Franklin.

If you keep saying it, you're bound to hit eventually. But given our poor hit rate the last 10 years - down playing things shouldn't be unexpected.
Cam from what i remember didnt even crack 500 yards his Sr year in high school so i dont think he ever dominated south florida comp.

Advertisement
Back