Jordan Addison to the portal

I wonder if we'll get to a point where we'll see a player go to 4 schools in 4 seasons, each season just going where the best deal is.

Is this now just a game of mercenaries?
I’m pretty sure you still have to sit a year after your first “free” transfer with the portal.

Also I’d rather see a college star jump around and PLAY than just sit out to preserve their draft stock if the schools situation becomes worse like what Jamar Chase did (no hate to him tho) after Joe Burrow & Joe Brady left LSU. Players playing is good for the game, doesn’t matter where or why.

Advertisement

django-samuel.gif

He’s the “General manager” for SFE 7v7 team, he’s nothing more than a glorified hanger-on.

He’s only relevant because he has access to a lot of high profile Broward/Dade/Pb kids because SF Exxpress is one of the premier 7v7 teams in South FL, but otherwise he’s just some goofball handler that is always looking for a handout.
Wish I could love this post 100000000000000 times, dude is a ******* clown

Advertisement
Regardless of transfers or NIL deals, schools are still only allowed a certain number of scholarship players and are only allowed to sign/bring in a certain amount of players yearly. Every incoming transfer is one less high school signee you can take. It’s also one less scholarship for your roster. It’s not like USC or Miami or Alabama can just buy up every single player. You’re always limited by roster size.

Quick tip though, if you want more parity in college football, reduce the maximum roster size. Instead of 85 players make it 65. The top teams will still get a majority of the top players but there’s a ton of quality guys who might not make that 65 man cut at Alabama but they’d be an impact guy at say, Pitt.

This is bad for college football and mark my word: It is unsustainable and sooner or later it will be highly regulated.

I don’t think scenarios like Addison need regulation… my concern is the amount of players going into the portal that normally would be content with helping their programs by being in whatever role they fall into on the depth chart or off. Most of these players in the portal have unknowingly ended their football careers. Maybe the USFL or Canadian league will start going after those that are eligible but couldn’t find another school to take them in if not their football playing days are over.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It will be a story of the haves and have nots. How could this be good for college football? If we did not have the Ruiz family and others, if we still had Manny Diaz, Miami fans will feel totally different about this.
Well if "IF" was a fifth we all would be drunk

Advertisement
Ncaa might have to institute a rule for transfers to stop the free agency market. Perhaps a rule that says players are generally allowed a one time transfer BUT if the player signs a NIL deal after transferring (I believe players are required to disclose they have NIL deals, but don't have to disclose terms), the player has to sit out for a year. It's not a perfect solution but it would cool down free agency. At the same time it doesn't punish the 3rd and 4th string players that are legitimately transferring to find more playing time.

I'm not complaining because UM is going to get left behind - we are one of the few teams that can clean up in free agency. This situation with Addison really puts the problem for the non top tier football schools into focus - they will basically become farm teams.
Good
Now that we are in a position to exploit the new rules
We need to go all in for as long as possible
I don’t think things will change for a while
Let the losers complain and the winners win that’s life
Sports is the one place where meritocracy rules

I wonder if we'll get to a point where we'll see a player go to 4 schools in 4 seasons, each season just going where the best deal is.

Is this now just a game of mercenaries?

It's certainly possible.

While a lot of players will stay where they first land, the best players on mid tier teams will bolt for deals at bigger schools.

It's nuts, that's for sure.

Advertisement
Back