Jon Linder on WQAM post-game thinks Kequote could get the axe

****, I get my 320 pound hispanics mixed up. Looking forward to seeing Feliciano at guard.

Advertisement
Next year's offensive line is shaping up as Seantrel, Washington, Linder, Figueroa and Bunche. All five of those guys look like NFL players. That needs to be a dominant unit and I'm not sure Kehoe is up for it. I supported giving him a chance but he may have blown it.

Man cot ****, how many years does dude get?

LOL I actually laughed at the one. He must mean Feliciano...I hope. If it is Figs dude must be like Carlos Huerta with unlimited eligibility.

Man I hope kehoe is gone, but I just have a sinking feeling
he'll get another year. They just made such a big deal out of
him "coming home" when he was rehired.

Next year's offensive line is shaping up as Seantrel, Washington, Linder, Figueroa and Bunche. All five of those guys look like NFL players. That needs to be a dominant unit and I'm not sure Kehoe is up for it. I supported giving him a chance but he may have blown it.

I think that's the lineup most of us are hoping for. Having Linder at the Center position, a guy who can win physically against a DT, is one of the keys. What I fear is we're going to follow in our footsteps of head scratching, physically weak Center play (Rodriguez, Wollshlager, Rochford, Horn) and trot out undersized Shane McDermott.

WHo are their backups. Whats the 2-deep? That's what has me ****ting a bit.

Advertisement

Wheeler, Johnson, McDermott, Barton, b. Jones maybe

Ben Jones and Barton can't play football at this level. IMHO its over for them. Johnson flamed out. McDermott and Wheeler I am hopeful for. So I see 7 guys who can be at least marginal or better on this team. Nothing more. What does this mean? More musical chairs. I'm sure you hear AG's comments about having a real two deep on the OL? Where you just plug the back up in, instead of the musical chairs bit? I would propose we're worse off depth-wise next year than this year.

And worse, who the **** on this line is getting pushed for their job? No one. I suppose McDermott could push to be in the top five and get the music started and everyone shuffling, but really, there is no competition. You and I both agree that's a MAJOR problem and hindrance when it comes to getting the best out of your players. We have to pray these guys are all self-starters (they aren't) and that they all stay healthy (they won't).

There's a lot more important things to **** about than our backup offensive linemen. Like the commit/signee list at defensive tackle from 2010 to 2012.

Jermaine Johnson and Ben Jones are backup tackles, although I suspect Flowers and/or Gadbois will displace someone. McDermott and Wheeler were the next men up this year. I've heard good things about Jeremy Lewis.

The top five is versatile so you only really need three more guys who can be counted on in games. McDermott and Wheeler were just about there in 2011, and Johnson has started games.

It's just not a grave concern. I'd rather focus on the five elephants who should be dominating the ACC.

Advertisement
So I see 7 guys who can be at least marginal or better on this team. Nothing more. What does this mean? More musical chairs.

The reason we played musical chairs this year wasn't because of lack of depth. It was actually because we had too much depth, specifically at guard. There were four guys who deserved to be on the field. Golden responded by naming two as starters and trying to set the other two up at tackle. I expect McDermott and Wheeler to be good enough to be Ed Wilkins if need be.

You can't cry poor when you have five hosses up front. If they play to their potential, the offensive line is unmatched in the ACC. I don't want to wait until they are in the NFL for that statement to be validated.

It would be a **** shame to see that unit underperform again. It's not often that we've had a line as good as the one being projected. The key to the whole line will be Linder at Center.

Advertisement

Ben Jones and Barton can't play football at this level. IMHO its over for them. Johnson flamed out. McDermott and Wheeler I am hopeful for. So I see 7 guys who can be at least marginal or better on this team. Nothing more. What does this mean? More musical chairs. I'm sure you hear AG's comments about having a real two deep on the OL? Where you just plug the back up in, instead of the musical chairs bit? I would propose we're worse off depth-wise next year than this year.

And worse, who the **** on this line is getting pushed for their job? No one. I suppose McDermott could push to be in the top five and get the music started and everyone shuffling, but really, there is no competition. You and I both agree that's a MAJOR problem and hindrance when it comes to getting the best out of your players. We have to pray these guys are all self-starters (they aren't) and that they all stay healthy (they won't).
Agree with D$ here. You're talking about depth. Yu've got a strong top 7. You need one guy to make your 8, which is all that should play on OL, barring injuries. Johnson ,ay be that guy. Certainly has the physical ability by most accounts. B. Jones as a fifth year senior as an 8or 9th man ... Eh, maybe. I haven't written Barton off for depth either. Maybe you've heard more than me there but he's still relatively young. If he can hit the weights, maybe can be a back up at tackle.

I'd like to see Barton and Johnson flopped over to the defensive side of the football to see what they can do there. Ben Jones, too. I just don't see them contributing on the OL, and I see the team's depth growing there, so I'd like to see those big athletes move to the other side and see what they can provide, if anything.

I mean, there is a good chance those three players are jumped over by Gadbois and Flowers, and are already behind Wheeler and McDermott going into the rotation next year as they are the replacements in the rotation for Harland Gunn and Tyler Horn who will be graduating.

So, next year, if you have Henderson, Washington, Linder, Bunche, McDermott, Wheeler, and Feliciano returning (basically, your Top 7) and have Flowers and a prep kid (Gadbois) coming in highly regarded (your #8-9)...players 10-12 have some room for flexibility.

I don't want to give up on those guys, I'm just saying it might be time to see if they can do something else for the team instead of simply playing the Symmonette and Wimbs role.

Last edited:
D$, you think Kequote returns next year?

No inside info, but my gut is that he is in trouble.

Golden took a bit of a leap of faith with Kehoe and it hasn't been rewarded.

Kehoe is the sort of coach that many big-time programs with money "retire" them to some off-field
job like pushing paper in the Athletic Dept, fundraising, or simply moved to the broadcast booth.
VT Hokies did this with a couple of their coaches after last season.
He is washed up and needs to be removed from staff, but I would hate to see him get canned for
the 2nd-time at UM.

Advertisement
D$, you think Kequote returns next year?

No inside info, but my gut is that he is in trouble.

Golden took a bit of a leap of faith with Kehoe and it hasn't been rewarded.

Kehoe is the sort of coach that many big-time programs with money "retire" them to some off-field
job like pushing paper in the Athletic Dept, fundraising, or simply moved to the broadcast booth.
VT Hokies did this with a couple of their coaches after last season.
He is washed up and needs to be removed from staff, but I would hate to see him get canned for
the 2nd-time at UM.

Agree with this.

I think he can still be a good ambassador for the school, but a change has to be made. The o-line was supposed to be the strength of the team, and it was abysmal all year. Golden can't abide that.

I'm not a Kehoe fan either, but why do any of you think that a new coach will make all the difference? When I watch the line, the most disturbing thing is that they lose the one-on-one battles, where strength is as important as technique. I don't care who is the next coach, he can't make up for the fact that our lines (offense and defense) get whipped up front in almost every game.

Advertisement
Back