Johnson stars at the Opening, planning fall official to UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 4-star TE Theo Johnson is the only Canadian prospect here at the Opening Finals, but he’s certainly made a name for himself on the field. Johnson has been a reliable target for Team Pressure in 7-on-7 play, working the middle of the field and using his 6-6 245 pound frame to become a redzone threat.

Recruiting-wise, the big tight end prospect put Miami in his top 7 last month and has still been hearing from Miami. He is attempting to get down to Coral Gables on an official visit this fall.

“Being from Canada, my school was going until the 26th (of June) for my last exam,” Johnson said. “I was trying to get down there for Paradise Camp, but that was literally right up until my exam day so there wasn’t much I could do. It was tough. In the fall, I’ll be taking more officials so I definitely want to get down there and take an official to Miami.”

Johnson originally put himself on Miami’s radar after impressing the staff in person at a Mark Richt summer camp last offseason, and since then, he has kept in touch and built a relationship with UM sophomore TE Brevin Jordan.

“We met when I went down to the summer camp last year, and after I got my offer, he was congratulating me and all that,” Johnson said. “Whenever there’s any questions I have about Miami, he answers them for me straight up.”

Of course, Johnson has continued to improve his connection with UM tight end coach Stephen Field, who continued to recruit him after Mark Richt’s offensive staff was fired.

“So I’ve been talking to Brevin about him and asking him how he feels about coach Field, and I can tell he just genuinely cares about his players and will look out for you and really take care of you,” Johnson said. “That’s the feeling I got from talking to coach Field and it was good hearing the same from Brevin.”

Johnson took his first official visit of the process to Iowa in early June and described how the trip to the Hawkeyes went.

“It was really good for me because I’ve visited there before, but there was no players on campus, so it was good to see the players and get a feel for the locker room environment,” Johnson said.

Since taking his first OV, the recruiting picture has become more clear for Johnson and he is beginning to outline the rest of his trips this fall.

“I’m thinking I might go to Georgia, Penn State, I want to get to Miami, and I haven’t decided the other one yet,” Johnson said. “There’s really no point of me taking one to Michigan because it’s 45 minutes away from me and I’ve been there a lot.”

What does Johnson see in the Michigan program that attracts him to Ann Arbor?

“For me, what I really like about Michigan is all the stuff that coach (Josh) Gattis is showing me that he’s going to be doing next year and how I’d be integrated into their offense,” Johnson said. “The stuff he’s been showing me, it kind of excites me. So I like the stuff he plans on doing for the tight ends. I’d also say for Michigan, I like the environment and I have a very good relationship with a lot of the players there.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
2020 4-star TE Theo Johnson is the only Canadian prospect here at the Opening Finals, but he’s certainly made a name for himself on the field. Johnson has been a reliable target for Team Pressure in 7-on-7 play, working the middle of the field and using his 6-6 245 pound frame to become a redzone threat.

Recruiting-wise, the big tight end prospect put Miami in his top 7 last month and has still been hearing from Miami. He is attempting to get down to Coral Gables on an official visit this fall.

“Being from Canada, my school was going until the 26th (of June) for my last exam,” Johnson said. “I was trying to get down there for Paradise Camp, but that was literally right up until my exam day so there wasn’t much I could do. It was tough. In the fall, I’ll be taking more officials so I definitely want to get down there and take an official to Miami.”

Johnson originally put himself on Miami’s radar after impressing the staff in person at a Mark Richt summer camp last offseason, and since then, he has kept in touch and built a relationship with UM sophomore TE Brevin Jordan.

“We met when I went down to the summer camp last year, and after I got my offer, he was congratulating me and all that,” Johnson said. “Whenever there’s any questions I have about Miami, he answers them for me straight up.”

Of course, Johnson has continued to improve his connection with UM tight end coach Stephen Field, who continued to recruit him after Mark Richt’s offensive staff was fired.

“So I’ve been talking to Brevin about him and asking him how he feels about coach Field, and I can tell he just genuinely cares about his players and will look out for you and really take care of you,” Johnson said. “That’s the feeling I got from talking to coach Field and it was good hearing the same from Brevin.”

Johnson took his first official visit of the process to Iowa in early June and described how the trip to the Hawkeyes went.

“It was really good for me because I’ve visited there before, but there was no players on campus, so it was good to see the players and get a feel for the locker room environment,” Johnson said.

Since taking his first OV, the recruiting picture has become more clear for Johnson and he is beginning to outline the rest of his trips this fall.

“I’m thinking I might go to Georgia, Penn State, I want to get to Miami, and I haven’t decided the other one yet,” Johnson said. “There’s really no point of me taking one to Michigan because it’s 45 minutes away from me and I’ve been there a lot.”

What does Johnson see in the Michigan program that attracts him to Ann Arbor?

“For me, what I really like about Michigan is all the stuff that coach (Josh) Gattis is showing me that he’s going to be doing next year and how I’d be integrated into their offense,” Johnson said. “The stuff he’s been showing me, it kind of excites me. So I like the stuff he plans on doing for the tight ends. I’d also say for Michigan, I like the environment and I have a very good relationship with a lot of the players there.”

Thank you for the excellent overview on 4* TE Theo Johnson, Stefan! This kid looks like a potential top notch addition to our 2020 haul. I hope that Manny Diaz & Co. make a hard push to get him included in this class. He belongs at The U!!!

Advertisement
If nothing else the weather could be a huge factor.........seriously.!
Kid looks sharp, and could be looking at TE U......our record speaks for itself in addressing TE's.

Advertisement
If both Washington and Johnson were to commit who do we pass on. Or we take both and drop mammarelli
I've liked Johnson since last year's Paradise Camp so I'm Johnson if I had to pick 1 or both and drop Mammarelli unfortunately.

If we are fortunate to have that problem to decide about that's a great problem to have with no wrong answer really.

If nothing else the weather could be a huge factor.........seriously.!
Kid looks sharp, and could be looking at TE U......our record speaks for itself in addressing TE's.

We gotta stop talking about weather as a factor. Kid grew up in Canada he's used to a probably ok with going to a cold weather program.

Advertisement
Apparently this kid showed out this week. What’s great with our class is from this point forward it’s Elite kids only. Theo or Darnell would be fantastic!

Since we are dreaming right now, why wouldnt you take all three TE's if they want in? There is a solid chance Jordan and Mallory are 3 and done.

Advertisement
Back