John Ruiz on Paul Finebaum show today

First time in his life, the southern boy went fishing and caught an old slipper…

Advertisement
What if Ruiz signed a player from say, the top 20 schools or so. He's now a booster for all those schools. Make the contracts scale with number of appearances in Miami. So say they have time for 4 or 5 at their current institution. Then, without inducement (of course), transfer to Miami so they can do 15x or 20x appearances.

Obviously he would sign more players at Miami due to their ability to perform obligations and the fact the business is headquartered in that area.

I would just laugh my *** off if someone like Ruiz just said, f it, I'm a booster for all schools.

And if they say it's tampering, he can make a donation to the athletic department beforehand that qualifies him as booster status before he signs a player.

Last edited:
Probably better legal minds than Ruiz's. So far, he seems to be his own counsel.

As someone else said, though, he's a businessman first, who happens to also be a lawyer. Whether his legal education/smarts are superior to those on whatever law team the NCAA might put together, I guess we'll find out. Best case is the NCAA sees the writing on the wall and drops challenges. Somehow, that seems unlikely.
I'd just like to point out this came from the great legal minds that the NCAA used last time they tried to bury us (when there was actually some dirt on us)...

I never wasn’t.

Thinking this whole Nil fiasco, in its current state, is the titanic heading for the iceberg has nothing to do with him.

He’s just a byproduct of this mess. Glad to have him on our side while it lasts, though I wish he’d be a little more low key at times.
Why should he keep it low key. He is putting the name life wallet across the country. Is that not the ultimate objective he has?

Advertisement
I’m not saying they are right, but the counter argument is the same. “Let’s not pretend LifeWallet is not PaytoPlay.” In the end, I could see them going after LifeWallet because they don’t want ExxonMobile paying players. The church ladies with the coin jars? “You just spend what you want on your grandson ma’am.”
Wait, what? Why wouldn't people want ExxonMobile to pay somebody for NIL? I don't understand that reasoning.

I could be missing some sarcasm or subtly in your post but the whole point of a legitimate business (LifeWallet, ExxonMobile, Car dealerships, etc) offering NIL deals is marketing for the company. It's the same idea as Capital One paying Samuel L Jackson to do their commercials. You pay a highly marketable person (i.e a highly rated bright future athlete) to market your company for people to get eyeballs and money for your company aka ROI.

Just watched **** that was impressive, these little podunk schools have no chance against us long term. It’s also funny cuz jughead likes to be argumentative but he steered clear on this one lol

Last edited:
I feel like a broken record telling people that Ruiz understood how to make this work better than the people who are supposed to enforce the rules. Ruiz, his lawyers and the UM lawyers diligently read the Supreme Court opinion and read the NCAA guidelines on NIL before taking a single step. They then made sure every action they took fell well within the lines.

This is why Ruiz felt so comfortable being so public about his NIL deals. He was not shooting from the hip as so many on here assumed. Rather, Ruiz was reading from the guidelines. To say UM and its players and fans are lucky to have John Ruiz as a supporter maybe the greatest understatement of this century. It is like saying the 2001 UM team was pretty good.

I understand that the Shapiro scandal still has some people shook. But remember that the clearest way to show the world that you are not cheating is to be as public as possible. Cheating happens in the dark, not in the light.

Advertisement
correct on O'Bannon & back in the day Jerry Tarkanian beat them as well. makes me wonder why they pursued this issue all the way to SCOTUS....... NCAA has had head in sand for decades & Emmert's lack of leadership did not help
The answer to your last question is because the NC2A (channeling the great Tark the Shark with NC2A) has terrible lawyers who baskically turned a California law until national law by appealing this to the Supreme Court.

I’d say the only way the NCAA would be able to go after Miami would be to retroactively enforce rules that haven’t been made yet. It seems like they’re taking steps to set some kind of parameters regarding NIL. If they do, fine but don’t come back after the fact saying “well you broke the rules we hadn’t made yet”. That would be like forcing a program to forfeit wins because some guy would have been called for targeting in the 80’s before the rule had been invented.
In legal terms that is an Ex Post Facto law. Made after the act and unenforceable. Now the NCAA isn’t bound by constitutional law, until they were by the Supreme Court and NIL.

With the legal brain trust the NCAA can employ, we'll see how sound Ruiz's "lawyering" is. Can't underestimate the hate for Miami that is out there!

Hope the players are getting paid NOW before the future has a chance to turn murky.
How can you make this argument about “legal brain trust” with presumably a straight face?

A little background on how NIL came to be national law. The State of California got ahead of the nation and passed an NIL law. Because it was a state law, it applied only to California universities and only benefitted them. The NCAA challenged that law in federal court, and lost at the District Level. The NCAA and its “legal brain trust” as you call them then appealed the district court decision until it reached the US Supreme Court. Had the NCAA not appealed and just accepted the loss, NIL would have only applied to California universities. But by appealing, arguing and losing before the US Supreme Court, the NCAA legal brain trust turned California law into national law. These are the geniuses you refer to as a ”legal brain trust”

Those lawyers should be fired for not anticipating a loss before the US Supreme Court. None of the 9 justices played college sports. Most of them are hard core capitalists who could not even understand how an organization could prevent a person form benefitting from their own NIL. This was the one of the easiest decisions to anticipate in recent Supreme Court history.

John Ruiz and his legal team will run circles around the hacks employed by the NCAA. He has already proven that his legal acumen is greater than every lawyer at the NCAA. This is not even a close call. ****, by the time the lawsuits are said and done, John Ruiz may own the NCAA. I guarantee that his first order of business will be to FIRE their “legal brain trust”.

What in the perfect storm is happening here. This is just amazing to watch all of this unfold. When we were discussing head coaches and who we should hire I thought Mario was there clear choice because I thought he would be the coach to bring the most stability to our program. But no way no how did I think Ruiz would also be a game changer like he has become. Wow this is seriously a perfect storm and im glad im here to watch it unfold. It may take a few years to get back to the absolute top of college football again but fellas the winds are certainly pushing our sails in the right direction.
Palm Trees Rain GIF

Advertisement
I feel like a broken record telling people that Ruiz understood how to make this work better than the people who are supposed to enforce the rules. Ruiz, his lawyers and the UM lawyers diligently read the Supreme Court opinion and read the NCAA guidelines on NIL before taking a single step. They then made sure every action they took fell well within the lines.

This is why Ruiz felt so comfortable being so public about his NIL deals. He was not shooting from the hip as so many on here assumed. Rather, Ruiz was reading from the guidelines. To say UM and its players and fans are lucky to have John Ruiz as a supporter maybe the greatest understatement of this century. It is like saying the 2001 UM team was pretty good.

I understand that the Shapiro scandal still has some people shook. But remember that the clearest way to show the world that you are not cheating is to be as public as possible. Cheating happens in the dark, not in the light.

This.⬆️

Guys, if you don't want to believe me, you literally have a Cane moderator and attorney, who is talking about not just a billionaire, not just a billionaire attorney, but a billionaire class-action anti-trust attorney who owns a firm chock full of other attorneys who all specialize in suing large scale organizations and companies, to enforce their client's legal rights. The guy also doesn't drink, sleeps three hours a night, is meticulous, and has the will and energy to take this all the way.

Again, if that's not enough, the SCOTUS literally ruled on this recently, which neutered the NCAA. You can't restrict people's right to earn and employ as they wish. As I've said before, Ruiz would LOVE the NCAA to come after him. He'd end up defacto writing new NIL guidelines for the sport himself.

Ruiz is talented. He's armed. He's motivated. And he's RIGHT. That's pretty bulletproof, and I guarantee you the NCAA MIGHT (I highly doubt it) dip their toe in the water with him, but they are not going to pick an expensive fight with him when their own lawyers will tell them that it's fruitless.

John Ruiz was engineered in a lab for this moment. We are so lucky.

Last edited:
How can you make this argument about “legal brain trust” with presumably a straight face?

A little background on how NIL came to be national law. The State of California got ahead of the nation and passed an NIL law. Because it was a state law, it applied only to California universities and only benefitted them. The NCAA challenged that law in federal court, and lost at the District Level. The NCAA and its “legal brain trust” as you call them then appealed the district court decision until it reached the US Supreme Court. Had the NCAA not appealed and just accepted the loss, NIL would have only applied to California universities. But by appealing, arguing and losing before the US Supreme Court, the NCAA legal brain trust turned California law into national law. These are the geniuses you refer to as a ”legal brain trust”

Those lawyers should be fired for not anticipating a loss before the US Supreme Court. None of the 9 justices played college sports. Most of them are hard core capitalists who could not even understand how an organization could prevent a person form benefitting from their own NIL. This was the one of the easiest decisions to anticipate in recent Supreme Court history.

John Ruiz and his legal team will run circles around the hacks employed by the NCAA. He has already proven that his legal acumen is greater than every lawyer at the NCAA. This is not even a close call. ****, by the time the lawsuits are said and done, John Ruiz may own the NCAA. I guarantee that his first order of business will be to FIRE their “legal brain trust”.
Clearly, the NCAA lawyers dropped the ball big time. Doesn't mean they won't use better legal minds if they have their heart set on mounting a case against what is happening right now and thinking they can somehow prevail (admittedly questionable).

As for Mr. Ruiz, does he have a "legal team," or is he relying just on himself for counsel? My only concern is him being out-gunned. I hope as you predict, that in a battle, Ruiz ends up owning the corrupt NCAA. You think that's a certainty; I'm still skeptical.

This.⬆️

Guys, if you don't want to believe me, you literally have a Cane moderator and attorney, who is talking about not just a billionaire, not just a billionaire attorney, but a billionaire class-action anti-trust attorney who owns a firm chock full of other attorneys who all specialize in suing large scale organizations and companies, to enforce their clients legal rights. The guy also doesn't drink, sleeps three hours a night, is meticulous, and has the will and energy to take this all the way.

Again, if that's not enough, the SCOTUS literally ruled on this recently, which neutered the NCAA. You can't restrict people's right to earn and employ as you wish. As I've said before, Ruiz would LOVE the NCAA to come after him. He'd end up defacto writing new NIL guidelines for the sport himself.

Ruiz is talented. He's armed. He's motivated. And he's RIGHT. That's pretty bulletproof, and I guarantee you the NCAA MIGHT (I highly doubt it) dip their toe in the water with him, but they are not going to pick an expensive fight with him when their own lawyers will tell them that it's fruitless.

John Ruiz was engineered in a lab for this moment. We are so lucky.
Ruiz is doubling down so hard I almost think he wants the NCAA to come after him/UM so he can sue them for damages

Advertisement
Clearly, the NCAA lawyers dropped the ball big time. Doesn't mean they won't use better legal minds if they have their heart set on mounting a case against what is happening right now and thinking they can somehow prevail (admittedly questionable).

As for Mr. Ruiz, does he have a "legal team," or is he relying just on himself for counsel? My only concern is him being out-gunned. I hope as you predict, that in a battle, Ruiz ends up owning the corrupt NCAA. You think that's a certainty; I'm still skeptical.
My understanding is that Ruiz is the lead, but he has a team of lawyers and is working hand in hand with the UM lawyers. I really think he has the better brain trust. Unfortunately the NCAA as an organization has lost a lot of luster. As such, they just aren't getting the best legal minds. Not to menton, the NCAA isn't paying top dollar for its lawyers and can't compete with the private firms.

My understanding is that Ruiz is the lead, but he has a team of lawyers and is working hand in hand with the UM lawyers. I really think he has the better brain trust. Unfortunately the NCAA as an organization has lost a lot of luster. As such, they just aren't getting the best legal minds. Not to menton, the NCAA isn't paying top dollar for its lawyers and can't compete with the private firms.
They do use Skadden and Wilkinson. However, they also wrote some pretty terrible rules and bylaws so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Probably better legal minds than Ruiz's. So far, he seems to be his own counsel.

As someone else said, though, he's a businessman first, who happens to also be a lawyer. Whether his legal education/smarts are superior to those on whatever law team the NCAA might put together, I guess we'll find out. Best case is the NCAA sees the writing on the wall and drops challenges. Somehow, that seems unlikely.
They may be better lawyers than Ruiz, but Ruiz will hire better lawyers than what they have. I would bet on that.

Advertisement
Back