John Campbell is not hurt... but he in the portal

Advertisement
Advertisement
Didn’t the staff view Cooper as a G or a T? Regardless, assuming Zion isn’t back, our Tackle options next year look like converted Guards or true freshman

I remember Mario praising him during the offseason I think he said “one of the best linemen in the country” if I’m not mistaken

Kid's been praised by 10000 different OL coaches while at Miami. Very definition of a Green Tree AA. ... I'm not thrilled he's leaving because he served his purpose. But we needed to replace him as a starter regardless if we want to win next season.

So maybe he wanted to be a starter somewhere else instead of a "depth" player for you.
Or he could elevate his game to the next level and ensure he starts. It's not like he has 5* upperclassmen ahead of him where the competition makes it unrealistic that he'll get to showcase his abilities.

Cohen transferring from Bama vs Campbell transferring from Miami aren't apples to apples. Bama guys get over-recruited yearly as they should....Miami isn't there yet until we get at least 3 full cycle classes in here under Mario.

Advertisement
More than that. I would assume guys like Rodriguez, Chris Washington, Seymore, Traore, McLaughlin hit the portal.
Im shocked that Campbell is the first of the OL to go (or i guess Reed was) and not one of these guys. I don't see how, with what we are adding, any of the above play. Maybe Seymore who got some run gets a chance a C. But the others were projects and I think we are moving to more known assets.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm a little puzzled by this move. I don't think Campbell is a LT. But I think he could have swung over to RT to replace Scaife. Wouldn't he be the penciled-in starter at RT potentially and challenged by a freshman I guess?

Advertisement
Back