Joe Yearby...Please say it aint so...

Surprised he didn't go the CFL or Arena Football route. Or maybe he did and didn't make it there either? I'm so confused. This one truly hurts my heart. If Donnell Pumphrey made it to at least preseason (and he's done jack) I figured Yearby would've carved out a niche.

who's Donnell Pumphrey? Is he a real person? Sounds made-up.

He's a 5'8 (most likely 5'6) RB from San Diego St...broke all of Ron Dayne's records.

Just shows you how out of the loop I am. I was reading the list of final cuts in the NFL last night, and I was amazed at how few names I knew, except for former UM players. Back in the '80's, I followed NFL and more of college football, and I was familiar with many, if not most, of the names in both levels. I used to notice that a lot of well-known players, both rookies and established pros, who went in the last cut.

Now, I never watch an NFL game. I used to spend hours on Sunday watching games. I used to love the Dolphins, but have no idea who plays for them or even who the coach is. I couldn't name the Dolphin QB, but I remember Griese, Morrall, Strock, Woodley, even George Mira and Jim Jensen. I used to subscribe to Dolphin Digest. I would go to Dolphin games when they used to play the old Baltimore Colts. I've even attended a few Dolphin-Redskin games in old RFK Stadium.

For some reason, as I get older, I have just lost interest in virtually everything other than my beloved Canes. I'm amazed, in the thread about Trevor Trout, I mentioned that my sister (who is in her early '60's) exchanged some non-football related tweets with Trevor. She has no interest in football and she was surprised I was so interested in the young man (for obvious reasons). Then somebody asked me, "Are you a Cane?" Of course, like most of the fans on these boards, they don't recognize the significance of my handle, "The Matador," for UM football. Most have no idea who George Mira Sr. was and how exciting he was and so much fun to watch back in the early '60's.

Man, I grew up on UM football, following it through parts of seven decades, starting in the mid-50's. Last night I looked up Alabama's record in the '50's. There was one year that they went 0-10. We played them in '54 and '55 and beat them both times. I went ot one of the games, it must have been the 55 game, on a Friday night in the OB. (Loved those Friday night games, walking up the circular ramps, air filled with cigar smoke...it was such a great way to spend a fall evening in south Florida). I believe the Green Bay Packer legend Bart Starr, later the QB of the great Packer teams under Vince Lombardi, was QB for that miserable Alabama team.

Anyway, when somebody must think I'm an idiot because I don't know the current players, well, I just can't keep up anymore. I have so many other interests and so many other things besides sports to read about. I live in the Washington DC area, so there are always a lot of speakers about current events, politics, etc. and I'm very interested in those.

Still, I love watching my beloved Canes. I'm still excited about the young kids now and hope we're experiencing a resurgence. So, if I don't know current and recent players in the NFL or college football, don't hold it against me.

#MUGA MaketheUGreatAgain!

By the way, it's sad about JY. I recall watching him in some drills while at a camp during HS. He did have very quick nifty feet, almost amazingly so. I remember one drill, a one-on-one, and he had such nimble ability to just juke the defender. I've never forgotten that. He didn't seem to have great speed if he got daylight in the games, not overly big. So, I don't know if he had the skills that the NFL really needs for a long season. There are just too many backs with speed and ability, maybe bigger and faster. I think it was wishful thinking to hope that he could do better than Cook in college. Cook seemed to do the same thing at FSU that I saw in his Miami Central games. If he got a lane he was gone. Yearby never had that kind of ability. Very different kind of back. Maybe a little bit like a bigger Leonard Conley who was a nifty but very small and not overly fast RB who actually started for us in the late '80's, early '90's when he only weighed about 170. Guys like that are good as a change-of-pace but they can't be every down backs.

I was just thinking last night as I read the list of cuts how unfortunate it was that Kaaya didn't make it. He still might. I was watching a few of his hghlights and I am still impressed even if many on this board are not. He could throw deep with accuracy and touch and I think suffered from not having a great surrounding cast at times. His lack of mobility was an issue, so he couldn't get away from pressure. I wonder if he felt pressured by family to leave in the hopes of a big pay check. His mother's acting career ended long ago, she was a single mom, and I used to wonder how she got by. She was trying photography, I think cooking or at least developing recipes and teaching her way of cooking, at one time acting and even as a stand up comic. It might be cynical and unfair for me to suggest that there might have been a motive and perhaps she was pushing him to go pro, but I wonder. I think he might have been even more ready with a year under Richt.

Hope you don't mind the long post.

Not at all, and thank u for sharing. I agree; I'm not into the NFL like I used to be either. B/c I'm avid football fan, I'll tune in, but I really only follow the Canes now. I'm a diehard Bears fan and used to be a bigger NFL fan, but something about the NFL since Goodell took over has really turned me off. It's boring and soft. Prefer college football over it, in general now. But if it's not Canes, I'm not really digging it, lately.

Advertisement
One of the very few things I'll hold against this staff. They did Yearby wrong. Look at the stats -- he produced when he got carries. We benched him for sorry *** Gus Edwards.
This I agree with. I do not understand the appeal of Gus Edwards and that goes from the fans all the way through the staff. Between the two of them there's no question in my mind which one we be better off with having retained them on the roster.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yearby couldn't pass protect, making him one dimensional for our Offense as defenders knew if he was out there we was either running or going out for a catch.
Wow. Clears the whole thing up. So when he was is in, the defense knew we were either running or passing.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I see analysis is lost on this board. If Yearby can't pass protect the Linebackers can spy him for the play. If he gets the ball it's a run, but if he doesn't they can track him on the flats immediately as he can't pass protect, and if he stays in the pocket he's most likely trying to run a screen. Similarly, if you're blitzing, you know they have no further protection on the pass play and can push through accordingly.

Should have stayed in school if feeding his family was so important. I think he had an overexxagerrated idea of himself. His body didn't no change while he was here. Made no sense. Same as dumb decision by Kaaya that some people are intent on defending. I'm personally glad Kaaya left. Seeing Rosier avoiding sacks and getting two yards was gold to sore eyes. But for Kaaya it was a dumb decision.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I still thought Kaaya had some wonderful passing skills, great touch on intermediate and deep balls, very good accuracy. He was, however, very very vulnerable, like a statue in the pocket. Maybe the day of the pure, immobile pocket passer is long past. Unless you have an exceptional offensive line. I guess Kaaya could scramble at least as well as Ken Dorsey, Gino Torretta, Steve Walsh or Bernie Kosar. These were all great pocket passers but would they be liabilities today? I know we couldn't run the offense we do now. I saw a lot of that offense in the two other games I watched yesterday, Fla-Mich. and FSU-Bama.

Should have stayed in school if feeding his family was so important. I think he had an overexxagerrated idea of himself. His body didn't no change while he was here. Made no sense. Same as dumb decision by Kaaya that some people are intent on defending. I'm personally glad Kaaya left. Seeing Rosier avoiding sacks and getting two yards was gold to sore eyes. But for Kaaya it was a dumb decision.

I still thought Kaaya had some wonderful passing skills, great touch on intermediate and deep balls, very good accuracy. He was, however, very very vulnerable, like a statue in the pocket. Maybe the day of the pure, immobile pocket passer is long past. Unless you have an exceptional offensive line. I guess Kaaya could scramble at least as well as Ken Dorsey, Gino Torretta, Steve Walsh or Bernie Kosar. These were all great pocket passers but would they be liabilities today? I know we couldn't run the offense we do now. I saw a lot of that offense in the two other games I watched yesterday, Fla-Mich. and FSU-Bama.
The thing with a mobile QB is you can't account for them when the play break down. That's why Nick Saban kills a traditional QB, but when the play breaks down it's a free for all. Saban is smart enough to go with the trend and use the same type of QB. Rosier is not a bum as some tried to make it seem. He won a game on the road in the ACC and made some great throws in that game. We will have a better chance now teams have to respect both RPO's

Hurts my heart man...I hope it isnt true he'd have made more money at UM if its true. Hoping its just a bad rumor. Hope he is still in school goes back to UM for his degree

Are people really this dumb or just this dumb at trolling? How the **** is he going to pay for tuition at UM? He is not getting free tuition if he is not on a football scholarship. Troll.
Wow you are one clueless *******.

Advertisement

People have been crowing that the pocket passer is going away for decades. Probably even longer. Its not. You just have to have a feel for the pocket and get the ball out on time. If your line is bad or the blitz is coming you have to know it and get the ball out faster. Football teams will always take a Peyton Manning unless the rules are drastically changed and take away the forward pass.

Advertisement
Back