Joe Echevarria

Impressive resume but what does he know about athletics? Ditto for Rudy.

Unimpressive take.:) Any good CEO could add a lot of value to this review without knowing how to spell "football." An accountant can figure out the numbers, but a CEO or the like can take a deeper dive into true ROI. For instance, did you know that applications to Miami skyrocket when the football team is playing at a high level and winning championships? Which then increases the quality of the incoming freshmen class, which means higher incoming GPA, SAT, etc. averages which lifts the ability for the school to continue to draw top professors and other future students and compete against its peers academically, whilst raising its national rankings? It also pushes out better equipped graduates that are likely to garner positive press and achievements in their lives, which benefits Miami. It can be a beautiful cycle. The PR value of Miami winning in football far exceeds the upfront incremental costs IMO.

A CEO can provide a high-level viewpoint and see the whole picture.

Advertisement
Unimpressive take.:) Any good CEO could add a lot of value to this review without knowing how to spell "football." An accountant can figure out the numbers, but a CEO or the like can take a deeper dive into true ROI. For instance, did you know that applications to Miami skyrocket when the football team is playing at a high level and winning championships? Which then increases the quality of the incoming freshmen class, which means higher incoming GPA, SAT, etc. averages which lifts the ability for the school to continue to draw top professors and other future students and compete against its peers academically, whilst raising its national rankings? It also pushes out better equipped graduates that are likely to garner positive press and achievements in their lives, which benefits Miami. It can be a beautiful cycle. The PR value of Miami winning in football far exceeds the upfront incremental costs IMO.

A CEO can provide a high-level viewpoint and see the whole picture.
Those points are good but it doesn’t take a CEO to figure out what you just said. Nobodies on this board have been saying it for years. I think he’s more talking about staffing. Does a CEO for UHealth know anything about support staff that players like/need? Does he know anything about analysts and what value they bring, etc. From a business standpoint I’m sure he can help, but if you don’t know athletics, it’s hard to understand what all goes into being successful. It’s nice to have someone who’s seen it with their own eyes. After all you’re dealing with teenagers. It’s not the same thing as bottom line is all that matters.

Seriously, not this again. The money is there.

How do you know the money is there?? And more importantly what has the last 20 yrs of historical evidence PROVEN to you about "money being there" for this university & football program? If the money "was there" they would of spent it. End of story. Why would they intentionally divest & siphon resources away from the multi-billion dollar business that is CFB? It makes absolutely no sense. Investing in the football program would've ended up being a net benefit to the university. They didn't invest because they couldn't, without heavily compromising academics. That more than anything else, is the quandary for this university.

Listen little SanFran flower. I dont give AF what your opinion is. You’re a clueless little nobody.

But now that you’re accepting that Blake is going to be fired, it’s all of a sudden not enough.

So you come up with more bullshlt to hate on. What would be enough? Tell other people that might be interested in your worthless opinion what you think needs to be done.

Since you keep making claims about prior investigations, can you at least link one. That way people can judge these prior investigations rather than taking your clueless word for it. Or did you pull them out of your amply used rear end.

Wow, lots of angry rantings in this post. Nice personal attacks too. Way to show your A$$.

There will be an increase in investment. The question Rudy and Joe E. seem to be working on is how to address the current problems and set up athletics moving forward.
At the core it would seem that the initial change required is to hire an experienced, high caliber Athletic Director to MOVE UM forward properly, and professionally.

Advertisement
How do you know the money is there?? And more importantly what has the last 20 yrs of historical evidence PROVEN to you about "money being there" for this university & football program? If the money "was there" they would of spent it. End of story. Why would they intentionally divest & siphon resources away from the multi-billion dollar business that is CFB? It makes absolutely no sense. Investing in the football program would've ended up being a net benefit to the university. They didn't invest because they couldn't, without heavily compromising academics. That more than anything else, is the quandary for this university.

I didn’t say it was there, I said it is there. Also, for all the folks that think UM is broke, I guess we are done here then right? Move along, there is nothing we can do.

For those that think perhaps there is the possibility that UM can invest in the program, I think we should continue to discuss how to best do that in a way that is going to get this program back among the elite. You’d be surprised at what trickles its way to people that make decisions.

Advertisement
Those points are good but it doesn’t take a CEO to figure out what you just said. Nobodies on this board have been saying it for years. I think he’s more talking about staffing. Does a CEO for UHealth know anything about support staff that players like/need? Does he know anything about analysts and what value they bring, etc. From a business standpoint I’m sure he can help, but if you don’t know athletics, it’s hard to understand what all goes into being successful. It’s nice to have someone who’s seen it with their own eyes. After all you’re dealing with teenagers. It’s not the same thing as bottom line is all that matters.

We can say it, but he has access to the data to prove it, has a team to roadmap it, as well as a trusted voice. You're talking about diverting tens of millions of dollars away from medicine and education and towards... football. That's not a light undertaking. It's a BFD.

As far as his sports knowledge, he is there to provide the resources FOR the people who know what it takes for football to source the tools it will take for us to be successful. The (lord willing) competent AD who is going to be brought in to run Hecht.

Jesus Christ on a cracker, the last thing we want is another admin (or worse, UM Heath CEO), or Board Member thinking they know better that actual coaches and Athletic Directors and playing AD god. This guy's job is to make it rain. That's all. If we're lucky.

We can say it, but he has access to the data to prove it, has a team to roadmap it, as well as a trusted voice. You're talking about diverting tens of millions of dollars away from medicine and education and towards... football. That's not a light undertaking. It's a BFD.

As far as his sports knowledge, he is there to provide the resources FOR the people who know what it takes for football to source the tools it will take for us to be successful. The (lord willing) competent AD who is going to be brought in to run Hecht.

Jesus Christ on a cracker, the last thing we want is another admin (or worse, UM Heath CEO), or Board Member thinking they know better that actual coaches and Athletic Directors and playing AD god. This guy's job is to make it rain. That's all. If we're lucky.
I’m all for the guy if he’s just there to divert cash to the program. Just pointed out that operationally it takes more than business sense to run an athletic department and I wouldn’t be applauding him making hiring and firing decisions.

Agree.
I'd just like to see his reaction when he gets hit with the tab to run a serious athletic program.
Even when we were successful, UM did more with less. We don't have our own network a la ND and don't have the large budgets or alumni base of state schools. Frenk needs someone who will do a thorough assessment and realistic options for spending on athletics, of which football is the majority of costs and income. This is why I don't see Mario or other high-priced HC option unless there is a significant home town discount.
The best I can see is a cost benefit assessment of the current staff with input from 'Zo or other intelligent football mind to hire the strongest team FOR THE MONEY. UM's finances depend on donations, but we don't have a massive alumni base, and the medical school, particularly the Cancer center are the major sources of income. The football team is important to us, but is not a cash cow as it is for a relatively few programs

Last edited:
Im not a UM alum so I dont pay too much attention to the inner-workings at UM. Im a "market fan" and not a "campus fan" as I like to differentiate it.

That said, correct me if Im wrong but isnt this the guy who was in charge of hiring his own firm (Deloitte and Touche) to do a sweeping review of UM's overall operations every couple years only to find that everything was fine? As well, if Im not mistaken didnt UM hire a different firm a handful of years ago that conducted a thorough review and found that (1) Donna Shalala was basically running the university as it were her own personal slush fund and that (2) The Deloitte auditors were covering it up??

If the above facts are correct, why should anyone care about this review. Hiring a yes man to say yes might not be the change that folks are hoping for.

Advertisement
Im not a UM alum so I dont pay too much attention to the inner-workings at UM. Im a "market fan" and not a "campus fan" as I like to differentiate it.

That said, correct me if Im wrong but isnt this the guy who was in charge of hiring his own firm (Deloitte and Touche) to do a sweeping review of UM's overall operations every couple years only to find that everything was fine? As well, if Im not mistaken didnt UM hire a different firm a handful of years ago that conducted a thorough review and found that (1) Donna Shalala was basically running the university as it were her own personal slush fund and that (2) The Deloitte auditors were covering it up??

If the above facts are correct, why should anyone care about this review. Hiring a yes man to say yes might not be the change that folks are hoping for. We'll see.
I understand the concern but this is really of no concern in my view. Of course the guy is going to advocate for his former firm and team members who he believes will do a good job. He had no control over the inner workings of the Feloitte team when he hired them. Making a conclusion about his competence or judgment based on this seems silly to me.

Even when we were successful, UM did more with less. We don't have our own network a la ND and don't have the large budgets or alumni base of state schools. Frenk needs someone who will do a thorough assessment and realistic options for spending on athletics, of which football is the majority of costs and income. This is why I don't see Mario or other high-priced HC option unless there is a significant home town discount.
The best I can see is a cost benefit assessment of the current staff with input from 'Zo or other intelligent football mind to hire the strongest team FOR THE MONEY. UM's finances depend on donations, but we don't have a massive alumni base, and the medical school, particularly the Cancer center are the major sources of income. The football team is important to us, but is not a cash cow as it is for a relatively few programs
Yes, I go way back with the program.
Cliff note-type response (getting ready for the game):
-to hire the strongest team FOR THE MONEY
Stronger team=Stronger $ unless your projecting success at the position. We can't afford not being able to afford established coaches, IMO.
-is not a cash cow as it is for a relatively few programs
Not with ticket sales, no. But can be a "semi-cash cow" with on-field success as I believe "The U" brand is still strong. A little rust on it, but still strong.

Almost game time.
Go Canes.

I’m all for the guy if he’s just there to divert cash to the program. Just pointed out that operationally it takes more than business sense to run an athletic department and I wouldn’t be applauding him making hiring and firing decisions.

Agree. Which is why he’s not being asked to be AD. Which, yes, is a position he would be totally unqualified for.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back