Joe Echevarria

BigCaneAl

Senior
Premium
It's flying under the radar, but Joe Echevarria, the current CEO at UHealth is very involved in the review of the athletics program and the football program. I know Frenk sent out that memo listing him and Rudy Fernandez as tasked with evaluating the athletics, but just thought I'd share it's not lip service. There is a serious active review.

Advertisement
Show Me Nbc GIF by Good Girls

Advertisement
This is great to read. Look, we can argue all we want about how much people care, or who is qualified to help, but the reality seems to be that people at the highest reaches of UM have taken some interest in improving the athletic program. Every fire has to start with a spark. I think we have our spark.
And before every pessimistic/cynical poster starts complaining, just STOP, relax and let people get to work. Expected comments
’the same idiots are no going to fix it’
’Frenk doesn’t care, he’s just embarrassed’
’wake me up when Blake and manny are fired’

Change has to start somewhere

Advertisement
Am I on LinkedIn right now? Get me a real man/football guy like Zo Highsmith to come in and start flipping desks over, not these weasels. Just my opinion.
For the record, I’ve been on LinkedIn for years.

My response was just an answer as to why this fella is being consulted.

I agree a football mind is probably a better choice. The business of CFB is a much different animal than that of the private sector.

This is great to read. Look, we can argue all we want about how much people care, or who is qualified to help, but the reality seems to be that people at the highest reaches of UM have taken some interest in improving the athletic program. Every fire has to start with a spark. I think we have our spark.
And before every pessimistic/cynical poster starts complaining, just STOP, relax and let people get to work. Expected comments

You’re right, but I think people are not going to pin any hopes to this news. We are all in wait and see mode. It’s just amazing we go from someone with Richt’s resumè back to Randy Shannon’s resumè and people are shocked.

You’re right, but I think people are not going to pin any hopes to this news. We are all in wait and see mode. It’s just amazing we go from someone with Richt’s resumè back to Randy Shannon’s resumè and people are shocked.
All good points. But at least it seems like the high level people have received the message that sports matter to the national brand and image of UM. Those people may not care about sports themselves but they know image matters.

Without Frenk adding budget dollars to the Athletic Dept no material changes can be made with personnel or assets. IF he has committed to budgeting adequately to improve all aspects of the Dept changes can be meaningful.

Advertisement
For the record, I’ve been on LinkedIn for years.

My response was just an answer as to why this fella is being consulted.

I agree a football mind is probably a better choice. The business of CFB is a much different animal than that of the private sector.
It is not just football. It is the entire organization to direct all athletics. Believe me, he is not the one uploading resumes and reading 3 x 5 cards. An experienced executive knows how to hire consultants and support staff to pull of the study.

Advertisement
Im not a UM alum so I dont pay too much attention to the inner-workings at UM. Im a "market fan" and not a "campus fan" as I like to differentiate it.

That said, correct me if Im wrong but isnt this the guy who was in charge of hiring his own firm (Deloitte and Touche) to do a sweeping review of UM's overall operations every couple years only to find that everything was fine? As well, if Im not mistaken didnt UM hire a different firm a handful of years ago that conducted a thorough review and found that (1) Donna Shalala was basically running the university as it were her own personal slush fund and that (2) The Deloitte auditors were covering it up??

If the above facts are correct, why should anyone care about this review. Hiring a yes man to say yes might not be the change that folks are hoping for. We'll see.

Totally agree, but it will take $$$$$$$$$'s to change and start the fire.
Are they willing to step out of the box and get serious, or is it to placate critics with a few new wrinkles?. ( update dressing rooms, and add to the flash) but keep an inept Coach, dubious AD, and underperforming staff in place, just because of winning the rest of the season.

Big changes are needed, not smoldering embers that they hope will shut up the chatter for change.

Clean house, bring in Zo, make the ex players feel involved, get a staff that know what they are doing along with a seasoned Coach that can DEVELOP players, and get back to recruiting players the way we did before starting with Schnelly.

Those sparks will ignite a glowing inferno of wins, and Miami would be back on the College Football scene.

Am I on LinkedIn right now? Get me a real man/football guy like Zo Highsmith to come in and start flipping desks over, not these weasels. Just my opinion.

wrong. Joe is the type of guy that will hire someone like zo. Joe is helping to clean up the program. drip by drip it's happening.

Advertisement
Back