Joe Echevarria

Am I on LinkedIn right now? Get me a real man/football guy like Zo Highsmith to come in and start flipping desks over, not these weasels. Just my opinion.

You don’t need a football guy to come in and flip desks. You need MONEY. If you give Zo, or anybody else, the resources and support we currently have, nothing will change. You think an elite coach is going to run here for cheap to work for Zo? Of course not. This isn’t about Zo, or anyone else. It’s about m-o-n-e-y and resources and a commitment to athletics which we currently do not have.

Advertisement
Am I on LinkedIn right now? Get me a real man/football guy like Zo Highsmith to come in and start flipping desks over, not these weasels. Just my opinion.
If you are gonna ask people to write big checks, they kinda want to be involved..... as much respect as I would have for Zo, if i were writing yet another big check for football, id want to see some of the **** myself rather than listen to another football guy on top of all the football guys that have ****ed this up already. Though I would have someone like him to consult with.

This is great to read. Look, we can argue all we want about how much people care, or who is qualified to help, but the reality seems to be that people at the highest reaches of UM have taken some interest in improving the athletic program. Every fire has to start with a spark. I think we have our spark.
And before every pessimistic/cynical poster starts complaining, just STOP, relax and let people get to work. Expected comments
’the same idiots are no going to fix it’
’Frenk doesn’t care, he’s just embarrassed’
’wake me up when Blake and manny are fired’

Change has to start somewhere
If Frenk is putting guys who are super successful in their personal life, they are going to make sure they make the right moves. Which inevitably is going to take time. Again this all hinges on Frenk following through on what he said.

Advertisement
wrong. Joe is the type of guy that will hire someone like zo. Joe is helping to clean up the program. drip by drip it's happening.
Is it a review or is he there to start making changes? Anybody who cares about Miami Hurricanes sports knows there's a problem and changes have to be made. Fighting to be mediocre year in and year out shouldn't be acceptable at Miami. That goes for all sports, not just football.

Smart, successful people know how to put the right people in the right spots. They don’t need to run the department just get someone who does and get the f out of the way.
This is what people keep telling me about Stephen Ross. The only thing he's done successfully is make me hate everything about the team he owns.

Advertisement
Impressive resume but what does he know about athletics? Ditto for Rudy.

Understanding of how organizations should function and how efficiently they operate has nothing to do with athletics. It seems this is looking at how the dept. is running from an organizational/structural standpoint not making recommendations who the next AD should be.

Impressive resume but what does he know about athletics? Ditto for Rudy.

Most ADs do not come from athletics background before going into the AD world.

That said, I think he would bring a good approach to treating the AD as a business, as we should be doing. Laying out a vision, strategy and operationally, lay out what it takes to ahieve that vision. For a lot of that stuff, you don't necessarily need an athletics background but you should definitely surround yourself with folks who do have it.

This is what people keep telling me about Stephen Ross. The only thing he's done successfully is make me hate everything about the team he owns.
There definitely are exceptions to that rule. Dan Snyder is a perfect example too. There’s no guarantee he makes the right hire but the bigger thing at play here is this isn’t a half assed search. These guys will do proper due diligence and not just promote from within because some guy has been around the school.

This is all really great news. I just hope the business people find football people to help decide if the current staph should remain

Advertisement
i dont care whether they know about football or not. its more important that they know how systems and organizations run or should run. the biggest issue i see, however, is as follows: what are the parameters? what are the goals? in order to properly measure the success of the structure and operation of an organization, you need to understand what it intends to do, what it aspires to do. THAT is my real concern. the BOT may not really want a championship program because of what it might cause them to have to do (money, loss of control, a strong AD, etc.).

It’s smart to get outside eyes with corporate and organizational structural experience, from businesses where performance and accountability is woven throughout their structure, to be looking at the way the department is run. It’s important to get different perspectives. So far they’re going about this the right way.

This is not about picking the next athletic directors right now, it’s about looking at the current state of the organization with outside, unbiased, and experienced eyes. Makes perfect sense.

It’s important to understand the current problem, and how we got there, as a solid foundation on which to make future decisions.

One major concern is that at the same time Joe E is doing his evaluation, Manny Diaz Sr. is lobbying Epstein and other BOT members to keep Manny Diaz on for another year. South Florida politics, combined with a BOT that really doesn't want to actually do anything, are a tremendous concern. If UM wins out the regular season due to the leadership of TVD and Lashlee, with the continued struggling of Manny's inept defensive scheme, he should not be rewarded with another season as he literally is making NO contribution to this football program, and has virtually destroyed recruiting. Will Joe E and the Mas brothers actually swing any weight and bring about change? Not convinced.

Advertisement
One major concern is that at the same time Joe E is doing his evaluation, Manny Diaz Sr. is lobbying Epstein and other BOT members to keep Manny Diaz on for another year. South Florida politics, combined with a BOT that really doesn't want to actually do anything, are a tremendous concern. If UM wins out the regular season due to the leadership of TVD and Lashlee, with the continued struggling of Manny's inept defensive scheme, he should not be rewarded with another season as he literally is making NO contribution to this football program, and has virtually destroyed recruiting. Will Joe E and the Mas brothers actually swing any weight and bring about change? Not convinced.

Manny, Sr. isn't universally liked by the BOT and UM Admin. His name is thrown around far too much as it relates to UM football.

Without Frenk adding budget dollars to the Athletic Dept no material changes can be made with personnel or assets. IF he has committed to budgeting adequately to improve all aspects of the Dept changes can be meaningful.
Agree.
I'd just like to see his reaction when he gets hit with the tab to run a serious athletic program.

Throwing money at the problem is good initiative. Knowing where to throw it at is gonna be a problem unless the head coach and the AD know where to put it.

I get really worried when millionaires get hold of public and private funding cause it’s like a former addict working at a crack house.

I want a coach who has witnessed first hand what the elite teams do in recruiting and staff support size. And I want them to go to this Rudy guy (the name is already a ND jinx imo) and say “hey I worked at this school and they won a lot and this is what I need”.

There should be no hesitation. No asking why so much or why so many people or why so big. It’s why jimbo left fsu and why he’s in oil money land.
Get the resources you need to keep the resources home.

Idk what reported said it but when Alabama played at hard rock he asked why there were so many Alabama fans in the locker room and they responded these aren’t fans they’re the support staff. He said that’s when he knew that we were way way behind.

We don’t need a 5 star resort. We need a program where every square inch and every available minute is used to evaluate, plan, develop, obtain and retain as much football related knowledge as possible.

Advertisement
Back