Joe Brady Interested in OC Job

Brady is a tough eval if you don't have access to take a deep dive on him. Some serious research needs to be done by Mario, et al.

It's easy to make a strong, strong exciting bull case for him, but there is mitigating information and rumors out there as well (couldn't get play calls in on time and other weird stuff from Carolina, has never been a successful OC before, etc.)

I am ok saying this one is above my pay grade lol. I'll happily sit back and enjoy seeing what Mario does.

Advertisement
Brady is a tough eval if you don't have access to take a deep dive on him. Some serious research needs to be done by Mario, et al.

It's easy to make a strong, strong exciting bull case for him, but there is mitigating information and rumors out there as well (couldn't get play calls in on time and other weird stuff from Carolina, has never been a successful OC before, etc.)

I am ok saying this one is above my pay grade lol. I'll happily sit back and enjoy seeing what Mari does.
Not being able to get calls in on time is a serious red flag. The best OCs can quickly diagnose another defense and adjust on the fly. That is what separates the elite OCs from a James Coley, who can spend hours scripting a beautiful first drive but can't adjust on the fly when the defense changes up its formations.

If we snag the Oregon WR Coach, who has won national recruiter of the year before, who cares if Brady can’t recruit. Have him light it up on gameday and his results will do the recruiting for him. Plus the supporting staff/ analysts will grind on the trail too.
Anyone who disqualifies an OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR from consideration because they can't recruit, just isn't very intelligent.

You can't have an entire staff of RECRUITERS. Like everything else in life, you need some semblance of balance. Your HC is already an ACE recruiter which frees you up even more to make sure BOTH coordinators are good old fashioned NERDS who specialize in calling plays and gameplanning.

That's how you build a staff people. I honestly don't want my OC or DC doing any recruiting. I want them both honing their crafts and being gameday savants.

I am ok saying this one is above my pay grade lol. I'll happily sit back and enjoy seeing what Mari does.

LSU had a system set up where Brady, who installed a new system, was communicating with Burrow inbetween drives while Ensminger worked on the next drive. They also had more boots on the ground to get plays called in.

Get a support system in here to get Brady comfortable in any way to replicate what LSU did. Have associate OC if you have to. If Brady is interested, what happened in LSU can be replicated to a decent degree, because Ensminger was a nobody.

Pretty sure Mario tried to hire him before.. Also Mario worked with one of Brady's first mentors (Moorhead was OC at Penn st hen Brady was coming up and was OC at UO with Mario)..

Not a tough eval, guy knows his ****, people who are in NFL cant do **** with one of worst oline, hurt McCaffery, and no QB.. NFL is QB league, if you dont have one you are screwed now you are also missing your best Weapon in McCaffery?! Come on, stop overthinking it..

Advertisement
Not being able to get calls in on time is a serious red flag. The best OCs can quickly diagnose another defense and adjust on the fly. That is what separates the elite OCs from a James Coley, who can spend hours scripting a beautiful first drive but can't adjust on the fly when the defense changes up its formations.
Well put!!

Oh really?

That run of six consecutive 300+ yard/3+TD passing games is something no other ACC player has accomplished.

What are you going to say next, that the ACC has historically had ****ty QBs so TVDs streak isn't that impressive?

I believe over the last 20+ years the ACC has more QB’s in the NFL (and starting/pro bowls) than any other conference by a mile.

Pretty sure Mario tried to hire him before.. Also Mario worked with one of Brady's first mentors (Moorhead was OC at Penn st hen Brady was coming up and was OC at UO with Mario)..

Not a tough eval, guy knows his ****, people who are in NFL cant do **** with one of worst oline, hurt McCaffery, and no QB.. NFL is QB league, if you dont have one you are screwed now you are also missing your best Weapon in McCaffery?! Come on, stop overthinking it..
Mario interviewed Munoz for the OC job last year, he was on staff with Brady at LSU.

I'm right there with you. I'm on the fence and part of me tells me to not overthink but I do recognize some of the potential red flags. Either way, I don't think he'd fail here especially with TVD at the helm and Mario/Mirabal improving OL play.

I could 100% see him not living up to expectations though as those expectations will be sky high. Some people here will probably expect a top 10 offense and if he produces a top 25 or top 40 there will surely be some questions asked.

Advertisement
I can't believe all of you questioning Brady's impact on that LSU team. Did you even know who Steve Esminger was before Brady got there--what about in 2020? Brady was brought to LSU for one reason, to modernize their archaic offense. LSU had been stuck in the dark ages of offense forever, and it held their program back. Brady fixed that.

In 2018 LSU was:

69th (nice) in total yards per game at 402​
84th in yards per play at 5.50​
38th in ppg at 32.4​
67th in passing ypg at 228.5​
That 2018 team had Joe Burrow (jr), Jefferson (soph), Chase & Marshall (granted Chase and Marshall were freshmen) as well as CEH (soph) and Moss (soph). All of the talent they set the world on fire with in 2019 was on the roster in 2018.

Enter Joe Brady in 2019

1st in total offense at 568.4 ypg​
2nd in ypg at 7.89​
1st in scoring at 48.4 ppg​
2nd in passing ypg at 401.6​
Brady did benefit from having a talented skill group to work with, but so did LSU in 2018 and their offense wasn't nearly as dynamic as it was in 2019. Did a year of seasoning for guys like Chase and Marshall help that much? Maybe, but you can't deny the significant leaps their offense took year-over-year with Brady on board.
You answered your own questions...two of the three threats were freshman.

2019 was lightning in a bottle. Joe Brady wasn't the reason they were dominant, but you'd be a fool to think he didn't have an impact. However i think the impact is being WAY overstated.

If he was as good as anyone says, he would've been better in his 1.5 seasons as OC in the NFL

people flying to brady's defense, nobody is saying he isn't good

but we are investing a TON OF $$ into the program. Does saban hire passing game coordinators to run his offense and give position coaches their first shot at OC? **** even didn't LSU didn't hire him for the role

I just think now's not the time to take a chance, we have $$. spend it on someone proven

TVD wasn't good last year, he was amazing this year

what changed about our offense? players were more comfortable

it's not a stupid *** debate, you guys are fangirling over joe brady and you're victimized over 2 decades of us hiring crap coordinators. we have real $$. Joe brady is promising in the future but he's not the BEST candidate we can get. He may work out who knows but to pretend a passing game coordinator is the sole reason superstar talent like joe burrow and the rest of that LSU team start clicking together is just shortsided
TVD had 2 pass attempts last year. What the fvck are you talking about?

2019 was lightning in a bottle. Joe Brady wasn't the reason they were dominant, but you'd be a fool to think he didn't have an impact. However i think the impact is being WAY overstated.

If he was as good as anyone says, he would've been better in his 1.5 seasons as OC in the NFL
this

could he be a good OC? yea

has he been? no

get kendal briles or someone who's turned around multiple programs and shown immediate results

Advertisement

You're underestimating the complexity of NFL defenses compared to college. Brady not succeeding in the NFL has nothing to do with his success in college. How did Saban, Petrino and Spurrier do in the NFL?

TVD had 2 pass attempts last year. What the fvck are you talking about?
this might be hard for you to understand, but that's my point. If he was generational talent with the same staff he would have beaten out king last year year right? no

offenses take time to groove and get in a rhythm, most coordinators and offensives get much better in year 2. Brady came in year 2, now did he help? sure but i suspect LSU still would have won the natty without him

people flying to brady's defense, nobody is saying he isn't good

but we are investing a TON OF $$ into the program. Does saban hire passing game coordinators to run his offense and give position coaches their first shot at OC? **** even didn't LSU didn't hire him for the role

I just think now's not the time to take a chance, we have $$. spend it on someone proven

Then if that's the case.....the next CLEAR option is Mullen. He's about a safe a choice as you can get as a pure OC. It also can't hurt to have a former HC from a big school on staff to bounce ideas off of.

Advertisement

I think part of the deep dive is acknowledging that his first year as an OC, there were some extremely unusual circumstances that ratcheted up the difficulty setting. Not only did he not have a QB for his entire time there , but due to Covid, practices were limited and all pre season games were canceled. That's tough for a seasoned OC, and for a guy making his NFL debut, its quite a curveball.

The other thing that can't be overlooked is he and Rhule were not on the same page in terms of offensive scheme. Rhule insisted on running the ball, Brady wanted to pick up yards through the air. I can't say I've ever seen a successful team where the HC and OC had diametrically opposing views on offense. Just a bad marriage.

this might be hard for you to understand, but that's my point. If he was generational talent with the same staff he would have beaten out king last year year right? no

offenses take time to groove and get in a rhythm, most coordinators and offensives get much better in year 2. Brady came in year 2, now did he help? sure but i suspect LSU still would have won the natty without him
Well Burrow was there in 2018 with the same OC and threw 16 TDs on the whole year. Funny how he makes an exponential jump when they bring in a new passing game coordinator that apparently had no impact on that team's production.

Advertisement
Back