Joe Brady Interested in OC Job

He did call half of plays and basically took over as LSU became a passing team...Joe Burrow as an average college QB at best...then with Brady taking over Burrow turned into one of the greatest seasons for a college QB and a landslide Heisman winner and national champion...then #1 overall NFL pick..

Burrow said many times that Brady was the reason for his and LSU success
I have no opinion on Brady, but if you meant that Burrow was an average QB before transferring to LSU, I don't know what you would base that on. He threw 39 total passes at OSU and we've seen his skillset and athleticism both at LSU and in the NFL. Did the LSU system unleash him? Absolutely. That was a vicious offense. But he clearly never was an average talent, OSU just didn't understand what they had.

Advertisement
Brady had a good year at LSU, no doubt. But that's a very small sample size. He has had dogsh!t qbs an OLs to work with in Charlotte, but it hasn't been pretty.

Bottom line: if we're throwing around big-boy contracts, get someone more proven.

I get the questions surrounding Brady. All legit concerns. I still roll the dice. Heres why - he's probably a two year rental if it goes exactly as planned. TVD is a Heisman candidate (and possible winner), UM offense sets new records, he gets a HC offer like Lashlee at a solid G5 school like App State or Houston. He wouldn't be around long enough for QB recruiting to be a problem.

We also don't know if actually has a problem with getting QBs. He wasn't at LSU long enough to determine that. Maybe he is has a great eye for underrated talent but doesn't like kissing the asses of 5 stars. Who would have thought low 4 star TVD would have the best start to a career (statistically) of any ACC QB of the last 15 years? Better than Sunshine, Watson, Winston, etc. Critics are inventing issues without any basis. If you are going to claim he doesn't like recruiting, why can't someone else claim Brady has an incredible eye for QB talent and can find 3 stars and low 4 stars every bit as good as the 5 star divas?

In terms of playcalling - there is some misinformation. Some saying he didn't call plays at LSU. Totally false. Here's what Ensminger said

Q. How do you decide on what you want to do in the red zone each time?
STEVE ENSMINGER: Look, I have a game plan that's sitting right here. I'll be honest with you here. When we get in the red zone, 12 in, that's Joe Brady. Unless I want to run a play-action, go fast, we'll go. When we get inside the 12, I tell Joe, It's yours and he calls it.
---

Before Brady (2018) with Burrows, LSU was 35th in red zone offense, scoring points 87% of the time. With Brady, they were #6, scoring points 95% of the time.

Last edited:
This guy might be great, but is the 2019 LSU offense his only accomplishment? That was essentially an all star team - Guy was playing madden against the computer.
and he wasn't even the one with the controller

Advertisement
I have no opinion on Brady, but if you meant that Burrow was an average QB before transferring to LSU, I don't know what you would base that on. He threw 39 total passes at OSU and we've seen his skillset and athleticism both at LSU and in the NFL. Did the LSU system unleash him? Absolutely. That was a vicious offense. But he clearly never was an average talent, OSU just didn't understand what they had.
Really? In 2018 Burrow was a late round nfl prospect that threw for 16 tds and 57% completion pct...Joe Brady gets there.. he throws for 60 tds at 76% completion pct. ...oh and wins Heisman then is #1 overall pick.....was the Suckeyes 3rd string QB for 3 years....behind JT Barrett...

Burrow has said many times how Brady was the difference

Brady leaves and their offense sucks again.

He was viewed as an average talent. He wanted to play for Nebraska instead of LSU, but Scott Frost said "No thanks, you aren't better than Martinez.".

He was a borderline 3/4 star out of HS. Lower rated than TVD, who right until King got injured, was viewed as a wasted scholarship and likely transfer portal candidate. Lets not try to rewrite history and say he was a superstar in waiting.

Presently an analyst at BC similar to Shoop.
ok..I know he was currently at BC but not sure what he did exactly. I know every time there is a vacancy on our end he ends up being mentioned as a candidate but I also heard that he doesn't seem interested in coaching. His name was recently associated for AD or football ops role along with Zo but that seems to have fizzled.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Brady was a legit finalist for the Falcons job. Hard to believe he's already cascaded down from the brink of NFL HC to college OC.

Brady was a legit finalist for the Falcons job. Hard to believe he's already cascaded down from the brink of NFL HC to college OC.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Advertisement
Him getting fired was a joke. That team has no Qb and name any skill player worth a ****t on that team.
DJ Moore is a talent. Brady's success came with Burrow when he wasn't calling plays; he needs more seasoning. Tom Herman backed up by him or a combo of him and Dorsey would be better. Miami needs to think Alabama-level organizational structure. Analysts, analysts, analysts; the more the merrier.

He was viewed as an average talent. He wanted to play for Nebraska instead of LSU, but Scott Frost said "No thanks, you aren't better than Martinez.".

He was a borderline 3/4 star out of HS. Lower rated than TVD, who right until King got injured, was viewed as a wasted scholarship and likely transfer portal candidate. Lets not try to rewrite history and say he was a superstar in waiting.
I don't intend to spend any more time on this, but I agree we should not try to rewrite history. Burrow was the #8 dual threat QB coming out of high school with a 90+ score. That makes him a solid or better 4 star. And, apparently, he was a superstar in waiting, somebody just had to unlock that. If that person was Brady, good for them both.

I have no idea why TVD's ranking means anything here, much less the opinions of posters on his future prior to King's injury. Looks, to me, like somebody just needed to unlock his potential as well.

Advertisement
Back