Joe Brady Interested in OC Job

He took a team that was 97th in S/P+ and made them a top 50 offense.

He took an Arkansas team that was 105 in S/P+, made them a top 50 offense, and then this past year made them a top 25 offense.

Those are elite results.

Brady took a struggling Carolina offense and, well, they still struggled.
I get what you're saying but if YOU know this wouldn't Mario and every other coach in college football know this? From what's being reported Brady will have plenty of options.

Advertisement
If the Panthers had done the intelligent thing, they would have used one of their first round draft picks on a QB in the past two seasons.

This team sat back and waited for a defensive tackle to fall to them instead of trying to move up for Tua or Herbert...passed on Jalen Hurts twice (picking another defensive lineman in the draft in R2). This year they picked a cornerback (never take a CB in Round 1) over Justin Fields and Mac Jones.

Failed to trade for a guy like Gardner Minshew (much better QB than Darnold FWIW and came at a fraction of the price).

Could have kept Teddy Bridgewater.

Like...Joe Brady isn't available today if they picked any of those players over the slop they currently have employed.

If anyone holds that against him they’re just a lunatic. That offense is as much of a dumpster fire as you’ll find. There brilliant plan was to sign the human dumpster Sam Darnold and that would fix the qb position lmao. Then canning Brady after not turning the dumpster into a good player. Ok boss!!
I don't hold it against him for being the scapegoat, although he was not good by any means. Regardless of talent, the playcalling at times was horrendous in carolina.

but can anyone say that he would have been an OC in the nfl ANYWHERE else if not for Rhule literally hiring an ALL College staff at carolina? rhule brought in brady and phil snow, both college people thinking it would work in the nfl.. Him doing this propelled brady's reputation and I think it's why ppl on here are obssessed with him. Good for him he skyrocketed to the nfl, but I think it was super premature, even if the reason it failed wasn't all his fault

dude just needs more experience in my opinion.

I think part of the deep dive is acknowledging that his first year as an OC, there were some extremely unusual circumstances that ratcheted up the difficulty setting. Not only did he not have a QB for his entire time there , but due to Covid, practices were limited and all pre season games were canceled. That's tough for a seasoned OC, and for a guy making his NFL debut, its quite a curveball.

The other thing that can't be overlooked is he and Rhule were not on the same page in terms of offensive scheme. Rhule insisted on running the ball, Brady wanted to pick up yards through the air. I can't say I've ever seen a successful team where the HC and OC had diametrically opposing views on offense. Just a bad marriage.

Totally agree with all. Which is why I said there could be a great bull case made for him. But a ton of due diligence is going to be needed on this one, me thinks.

I am just saying there are a ton of little things out there that need to be considered.

Does the board know that Brady didn't even work with the QB's at LSU? He wasn't Burrow's primary coach. Yes was PGC... and WR coach. He spent most of his time with them.

His schemes at CAR were considered extremely vanilla and predictable. "After the Eagles game receiver Robby Anderson complained the Panthers were too repetitive in their route concepts. That was a sign of problems to come." The Panthers’ offense ranks 29th in Football Outsiders DVOA metric, which measures efficiency against league averages. Only the Lions, Falcons and Texans are worse. There is also the stuff said by Bridgewater about how they practiced, and not getting the play calls in on time as I mentioned... I am just saying there is a lot to look into. A lot of work on him needs to be done. He's a young, inexperienced guy. And we are looking for a top 5 OC.

Soooo you think Ensminger is the key to that offense, he was there the year before and year after, what happened?! Many dont understand, Ensminger is a former alum, played QB at LSU, and basically a lifer on staff that their fans wanted FIRED but corch O personally protected him and wouldnt do it, lots of politics involved.. (kinda like Golden and donofrio or how we will have **** to pay to get rid of Mario or Maribal if we have to), LSU was stuck in Pro style purgatory and tried to bring in Matt Canada year before but they fired him and named Ensminger then he had a avg offense with all the same weapons and top reruits.. This "vet" and "pro" providing this guiding hand had fans with pitchforks when he was shutout 29-0 against bama where was the strong physical running game that only Ensminger can provide?! You say you have no idea, dont let these guys who have tried to slander Brady and give credit to ensminger, why he win no awards, get media attention, no NFL gigs, HC gigs?

Go from ZERO points against Bama to 46 next season, only change Brady comes in, Brady gets Broyles award, raises, NFL gig, nope, it was ensminger, Lol.. Come on man!
Preach dem facts, Homie!

Advertisement
I’m not sure if any of you have ever experience high level coaching but you don’t go from a twenty three year old jag college starter to god because the light went on lol. That scheme with elite coaching is what simplifies the game especially for qb’s

I’m an Eagles fan and I’ve seen it too many times to count with Andy Reid. Taking buns / jags , coaching them up and trading for first or second rounders.

If Brady isn't their OC in 2019, Burrows is probably selling life insurance today. Going into the 2019 season, Burrows was viewed as the 6th best QB in the SEC

Worse than Mond, Felipe Franks, Kelly Bryant.

Burrow left and that's what collapsed the offense. They went from the #1 pick in the NFL draft and top QB ever to Max Johnson. They went from 2 first round receivers to 0. They went from the only 1st round RB taken that year to Chris Curry.

Brady absolutely modernized the offense. But the most important quality of a successful OC is his ability to call plays. Brady has not shown he can do that.
The argument that you're making is that anyone could have ran that offense.

The Panthers are not a good team, OL is horrible, QB situation is horrible, their star RB cannot stay healthy, and you are correct that RHule wanted a run-heavy approach, hence the reason he promoted his RB coach, and old Co-OC from Baylor. This is what Rhule wants...and not necessarily a complete failure for Joe Brady.

The dude is 30, has a great football mind, and yes he does lack the experience (that we are all basically begging for at every other position)...but Brady would help us in the long run regardless of the arguments. Our offense is basically built for him to have success the way he runs an offense.

I get what you're saying but if YOU know this wouldn't Mario and every other coach in college football know this? From what's being reported Brady will have plenty of options.
Coaches make bad hires all the time.

Brady is not a bad hire at all. I'd support that hire and be excited.

I just think there are more proven and safer options out there.

Advertisement
and I can tell you didn't read the thread

they are leaning on 2019 to dispute our point that the dude has never been a successful OC and has never had sustained success calling plays

I'm sorry but arent' we now SERIOUS about football again and investing $$ into the program for elite coaches?

brady can be great, but he hasn't been, he failed in carolina, he was good as a passing game coordinator at LSU. let him go to a p5 school and kill as an OC then we can kick the tires

the big boy programs don't hire position coaches as first time OC's, they get proven people. That's the point I'm making,
Didn't LSU, who I assume you would consider a big boy program, do just that when they brought him in as Co-OC? Unless you think they would have had the same results with Ensminger.

If Brady isn't their OC in 2019, Burrows is probably selling life insurance today. Going into the 2019 season, Burrows was viewed as the 6th best QB in the SEC

Worse than Mond, Felipe Franks, Kelly Bryant.
Don’t bring facts into this debate friend. People acting like Lsu and Burrow wasn’t meh before he arrived lol. They’re playing the result but not the history leading up to it. Something clicked , what ever couldn’t been. I mean 23 year old qb’s always go from meh to legends. Am I right?

Advertisement
Totally agree with all. Which is why I said there could be a great bull case made for him. But a ton of due diligence is going to be needed on this one, me thinks.

I am just saying there are a ton of little things out there that need to be considered.

Does the board know that Brady didn't even work with the QB's at LSU? He wasn't Burrow's primary coach. Yes was PGC... and WR coach. He spent most of his time with them.

His schemes at CAR were considered extremely vanilla and predictable. "After the Eagles game receiver Robby Anderson complained the Panthers were too repetitive in their route concepts. That was a sign of problems to come." The Panthers’ offense ranks 29th in Football Outsiders DVOA metric, which measures efficiency against league averages. Only the Lions, Falcons and Texans are worse. There is also the stuff said by Bridgewater about how they practiced, and not getting the play calls in on time as I mentioned... I am just saying there is a lot to look into. A lot of work on him needs to be done. He's a young, inexperienced guy. And we are looking for a top 5 OC.
these are some amazing points, and everyone on here will ignore them because brady is their savior

let's go get briles or someone who's EARNED the right to be the OC at miami, not someone who weasel'd there way up the ladder as fast as possible and fell on their face

Advertisement
The argument that you're making is that anyone could have ran that offense.

The Panthers are not a good team, OL is horrible, QB situation is horrible, their star RB cannot stay healthy, and you are correct that RHule wanted a run-heavy approach, hence the reason he promoted his RB coach, and old Co-OC from Baylor. This is what Rhule wants...and not necessarily a complete failure for Joe Brady.

The dude is 30, has a great football mind, and yes he does lack the experience (that we are all basically begging for at every other position)...but Brady would help us in the long run regardless of the arguments. Our offense is basically built for him to have success the way he runs an offense.
I'm not saying anyone could have ran that team.

What I'm saying is the following. Brady did not call plays at LSU, so you can't give him all the credit. Brady was also working with the greatest collection of talent in CFB history, so that has to be factored in.

When Brady got his first real OC gig, he failed.

There's a lot of uncertainty around Brady. I like his scheme. I like the improvements he made to the LSU offense. But the evidence on whether he is a good game-day caller is mixed. That's an honest assessment of his track record.

Advertisement
Back