Jimmy Johnson on The U

theibisrules

Senior
### Jimmy Johnson denied a broadcast report from two former Hurricanes offensive linemen that claimed that he called UM coaches after the Nebraska game and offered to help against the option but that Al Golden and Mark D’Onofrio turned him down.

“Never happened,” Johnson said by phone Tuesday. “A couple years ago, I called Mark and said, ‘Anytime you need my help I’m more than happy.’ We had a five-minute conversation. I haven’t talked to Mark in a couple years.”

On the state of the program, Johnson said: “I am as disappointed as anybody we haven’t done better. But I go back to: I trust Al Golden. Al works hard at it. He’s very diligent in his recruiting. He will recruit good players. He’s a smart guy that is going to make the right decisions….

“I want it to happen right away," he said of on-field success for the program that's still dear to him. "I wanted it to happen last year. I am as impatient as anyone. [But] Al was handcuffed a little bit. We’ve got to give him time…. I had my problems early [as coach] with the Miami program. I’m sure people weren’t real happy with me the first year. I think things will work out because I trust him. I am 100 percent behind Al Golden.”

Asked if UM needs to play a more attacking defense like his UM teams did, Johnson said: “To say my style is better than somebody else’s would be wrong for me to do. I don’t know the talents of the individuals they have. I don’t want to sit here and judge and say the way we did it was better.”

He declined to critique D’Onofrio’s approach because he said he’s not at practice to analyze the players’ skills.

Johnson said he is “very impressed” with freshman Brad Kaaya: “I really like this young quarterback. He’s really going to be a good player. He’s got a great touch on the ball.”

Johnson said he hasn’t spoken with Golden this season but has told him in the past that he’s available “any time I can help.”

He knows some former players are saying “let’s go back to the old days.” But “it’s going to be hard to get back to the old days.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-questions-linger-dolphins.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
I had my problems early [as coach] with the Miami program. I’m sure people weren’t real happy with me the first year. I think things will work out because I trust him. I am 100 percent behind Al Golden.”

THIS IS YEAR 4!!!! And our defense has regressed each year under the same def. coordinator. Golden is the antithesis of everything JJ stood for as a coach and leader!

I had a hard time believing a former coach would ever step in to "offer" a present coach any advice without being asked. What-his-name-is offered no link or source (gawd I hate that word) so it sounded iffy to me. The truth will never be known.

Advertisement
You would think after having a defense ranked in the 100s, somebody would call Jimmy.

Advertisement
### Jimmy Johnson denied a broadcast report from two former Hurricanes offensive linemen that claimed that he called UM coaches after the Nebraska game and offered to help against the option but that Al Golden and Mark D’Onofrio turned him down.

“Never happened,” Johnson said by phone Tuesday. “A couple years ago, I called Mark and said, ‘Anytime you need my help I’m more than happy.’ We had a five-minute conversation. I haven’t talked to Mark in a couple years.”

On the state of the program, Johnson said: “I am as disappointed as anybody we haven’t done better. But I go back to: I trust Al Golden. Al works hard at it. He’s very diligent in his recruiting. He will recruit good players. He’s a smart guy that is going to make the right decisions….

“I want it to happen right away," he said of on-field success for the program that's still dear to him. "I wanted it to happen last year. I am as impatient as anyone. [But] Al was handcuffed a little bit. We’ve got to give him time…. I had my problems early [as coach] with the Miami program. I’m sure people weren’t real happy with me the first year. I think things will work out because I trust him. I am 100 percent behind Al Golden.”

Asked if UM needs to play a more attacking defense like his UM teams did, Johnson said: “To say my style is better than somebody else’s would be wrong for me to do. I don’t know the talents of the individuals they have. I don’t want to sit here and judge and say the way we did it was better.”

He declined to critique D’Onofrio’s approach because he said he’s not at practice to analyze the players’ skills.

Johnson said he is “very impressed” with freshman Brad Kaaya: “I really like this young quarterback. He’s really going to be a good player. He’s got a great touch on the ball.”

Johnson said he hasn’t spoken with Golden this season but has told him in the past that he’s available “any time I can help.”

He knows some former players are saying “let’s go back to the old days.” But “it’s going to be hard to get back to the old days.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-questions-linger-dolphins.html#storylink=cpy

Meant to neg, not like. Jimmy is just being classy and supporting a fellow coach. You know he sees what the rest of us do. Al and No"D need to go...yesterday!

Why doesn't Jimmie and Sean Taylor have a statue commemorating their achievements as canes.

If Jimmie Johnson were a coach at any other school he'd be a ******* diety of sorts. When do we show this man and others the respect. They deserve?

This is something else that alot of ex greats are talking about like with all the great player's that have come to our great school why are like 2 or non I can't remember which black players in the ring of honor? DA FUCCC?

Why doesn't Jimmie and Sean Taylor have a statue commemorating their achievements as canes.

If Jimmie Johnson were a coach at any other school he'd be a ******* diety of sorts. When do we show this man and others the respect. They deserve?

This is something else that alot of ex greats are talking about like with all the great player's that have come to our great school why are like 2 or non I can't remember which black players in the ring of honor? DA FUCCC?

Easy now. Jimmy has as many NC rings as Gene Chizik.

Yeah but Jimmie means so much more to our school and Jimmie went on to draft hurricanes and he won super bowls with them. When asked Jimmie always says he's a cane I don't know about you but that means something to me.

Advertisement

How many Super Bowl rings does Chizik have? I am quite certain that Jimmy would have ended up with significantly more than one ring had he not moved on to the NFL. What kind of ****** comes onto a Miami message board and tries to compare Gene mother****ing Chizik to the Jimmy Johnson?!?!?!?! Be gone troll...

What do people think?? That Jimmy Johnson is going to bash Golden?? Why do yall think he takin the high route he might genuinely be behind him..... seems like people just waiting for a coach to bash him and its not happening. ...the only people that are bashing him are ex current players not the old school canes so much....got players makin up stories to try and make it seem like Golden turned down help, well thats pathetic and i lnw JJ wouldn't lie about that....like he said a lot of folks wanna go back to the old days and its not goin to happen.... we got to stop living in the past..... just need to move on whether it be with or without Golden and put the best product on the field

Advertisement
Love the old hardcore JJ from the 80s, who didn't even know his own kids. Don't really care what the kind and gentle TV personality has to say publicly. I'm guessing he follows the program fairly casually at this point. I doubt he's anywhere near as dialed in and rabid as most of the guys on this board.

Joaquin can be right and a guy that routinely just makes **** up too I guess. A little less of the later might get him more respect on the former. I'm not holding my breath on that with him if there's ever another coaching search though.

Advertisement
Back