Jimmy Johnson and Marvelous Marvin Hagler...

the joke was for a time that Johnny Gill's national anthems were longer than Tyson's fights

I remember the summer before my senior year in high school, I was bummed out because we had baseball game on the night Tyson faced Carl 'the Truth' Williams. The coaches knew I wanted to watch the fight, so did they.

So as we're warming up, one of them comes up to me, and goes, 'Steve, first round knockout for Tyson, you didn't miss much." LOL, we were both laughing because now we could at least pretend to concentrate on the game

People forget how popular Tyson really was back then. The guy had national endorsement deals with several major corporate entities. HIs fights on HBO literally did the highest ratings that network has ever done to this day
Far and away the most feared fighter of my lifetime. I thought someone would die in the ring with him.

Advertisement
If anybody’s interested, here’s the first round of that fight.

Not necessarily a “boxing clinic“, but just two guys determined to beat the shlt out of each other from jump.

Maybe one of the best first rounds, just in terms of competitiveness and wanting to get after it from the start.

Man, thanks for that! I watched it on TV when it happened and forgot how great that 1st round was!

for those who care, here's my column on Hagler (which includes a section about his time visiting the Hurricanes and Jimmy Johnson)..

Not necessarily a “boxing clinic“, but just two guys determined to beat the shlt out of each other from jump.

Maybe one of the best first rounds, just in terms of competitiveness and wanting to get after it from the start.

Wow is all I can say. You don’t see that anymore. Thank you OCCC for posting. I’m going to YT to watch the entirety.

Speaking of wars!! These 2. OMG

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back