Jimmy Johnson and Marvelous Marvin Hagler...

Advertisement
I think he's saying that Douglas COULD have stood up earlier, but chose not to.

Regardless, anytime any boxer has extra time to get back up, it benefits him.
Not sold on him getting up sooner...Devastating uppercut...
*Tyson was SEVERELY out of Shape...
* Had already fired Clayton and Rooney...His Corner consisted of a bunch of Shady Muslims...who with Don King ruined Tyson...once Cus Amato passed away, things started going downhill slowly but surely. Teddy Atlas (who trained Tyson as an Amateur), spoke on this many times.

Today is the one-year anniversary of the sudden and unexpected passing of the great Marvelous Marvin Hagler. It got me thinking about this pic which I have attached

Jimmy Johnson was/is a huge boxing fan, in the mid-80's he actually brought in the great Hagler to the campus and spoke with the team. Johnson was a regular at big fights in Vegas during the 90s. He says that the greatest fight he ever attended was Hagler-Hearns in 85, which is still the benchmark for most boxing fans

Alonzo Highsmith says he remembers that day well when Hagler came through. He recalls that the whole team went to the Knight Center to watch the closed circuit of Hagler's fight in March of 86 vs John 'the Beast' Mugabi(which turned out to be an absolute war) and the second to last fight of his career

RIP to Hurricane Hagler...View attachment 179544
Marvelous Marvin Hagler is in my top 5 favorite boxers of all time....he was so disgusted after being robbed of the fight with Sugar Ray, he literally retired and never looked back...which hardly no boxer does...then did acting in Europe and lived in Italy until he passed...Rest in Paradise

Carlos Monzon was also a badass. Undisputed World Middleweight Champ for 7 years while defending his title 14 times against 11 different fighters. They called him Escopita. Voted the Best Middleweight title holder of the past 50 years in 2011 by The Ring Magazine. Each one of his losses were early in his career and were avenged.

Advertisement
Today is the one-year anniversary of the sudden and unexpected passing of the great Marvelous Marvin Hagler. It got me thinking about this pic which I have attached

Jimmy Johnson was/is a huge boxing fan, in the mid-80's he actually brought in the great Hagler to the campus and spoke with the team. Johnson was a regular at big fights in Vegas during the 90s. He says that the greatest fight he ever attended was Hagler-Hearns in 85, which is still the benchmark for most boxing fans

Alonzo Highsmith says he remembers that day well when Hagler came through. He recalls that the whole team went to the Knight Center to watch the closed circuit of Hagler's fight in March of 86 vs John 'the Beast' Mugabi(which turned out to be an absolute war) and the second to last fight of his career

I was already in my late 80s when the Hagler-Leonard fights took place so maybe my memory isn't so good anymore. I always got the feeling Hagler got robber against Sugar Ray.

Right/wrong??

Marvelous Marvin Hagler is in my top 5 favorite boxers of all time....he was so disgusted after being robbed of the fight with Sugar Ray, he literally retired and never looked back...which hardly no boxer does...then did acting in Europe and lived in Italy until he passed...Rest in Paradise
In my opinion, Hagler won that fight. Ray was running all night, and he would throw flurries that were flashy, but had little to no impact on Marvin. The most significant punches were landed by Hagler, and he was the aggressor all night.

If anybody’s interested, here’s the first round of that fight.

Not necessarily a “boxing clinic“, but just two guys determined to beat the shlt out of each other from jump.

Maybe one of the best first rounds, just in terms of competitiveness and wanting to get after it from the start.

My favorite fight of all-time. It didn’t last long, but what a war it was. Wish more big boxing fights were like this. Two guys getting after it. No nonsense, just letting their hands fly.

Advertisement
Not sold on him getting up sooner...Devastating uppercut...
*Tyson was SEVERELY out of Shape...
* Had already fired Clayton and Rooney...His Corner consisted of a bunch of Shady Muslims...who with Don King ruined Tyson...once Cus Amato passed away, things started going downhill slowly but surely. Teddy Atlas (who trained Tyson as an Amateur), spoke on this many times.

I can't imagine what else Tyson would have done had Amato maybe lived 3-4 more years and was lucid as his trainer. Not only in the ring, but outside the ring, maybe Tyson stays out of trouble/jail due to that discipline and guidance and beats the **** out of 7-8 more great fighters.

A great what-if in modern boxing history.

That was one of the best rounds in history. The fight still lives in infamy. Their weight class at that time was the greatest in history, in my opinion. Unfortunately great boxing competition ended shortly after this for the most part. The Tyson fight belongs in great upsets, but Tyson doesn't belong in any greatest RD or greatest match talk. The talent left the heavyweight division first. It was gone when Holmes was champ. I didn't know this about JJ. Thanks!

Advertisement

Such a great boxer. He trained two towns over and he was beloved by the people of Greater Boston. I loved watching that tactician box and if it turned into a war, he obliged.

The Douglas Tyson fight is a fun rewatch. Sure, it was a one sided fight, but the sheer impossibility of what was unfolding was something to behold.

On a side note, the judges had Tyson ahead, if I remember correctly.
And Tyson actually knocked Douglass into la la land with that uppercut late in the fight. The ref never picked up the ringside count while Buster laid on the canvas for about 4 seconds. Douglass was down and out for more that 10 seconds but thems the breaks.
Great fight BTW. The crowd was sitting on their hands the whole fight. They had no idea what was really going down.

Advertisement
In my opinion, Hagler won that fight. Ray was running all night, and he would throw flurries that were flashy, but had little to no impact on Marvin. The most significant punches were landed by Hagler, and he was the aggressor all night.
Ray stole rounds by flashing at the end of a lot of rounds. Ray was a brilliant tactician in the ring. He knew that was one of the only ways he was going to beat Hagler.
I thought Ray won a close fight but it wouldn't have surprised me if Hagler had gotten his hand raised. Another epic fight!

I was already in my late 80s when the Hagler-Leonard fights took place so maybe my memory isn't so good anymore. I always got the feeling Hagler got robber against Sugar Ray.

Right/wrong??
So did Hearns in the 2nd fight....He clearly beat Sugar Ray...Lol at a draw....even in the 1st fight...stoppage was controversial...Hearns was on the ropes...but was clearly able to continue....the 2nd fight he clearly Won.

Right/wrong??
**** how old are you? God bless. Sugar waited till the end of haglers career. A very close fight. I felt hagler won. Great memory for me. I took my father to that fight.

Advertisement
Back