Jim Kelly

He'll beat it just like he did the cowboys in the superbowl..

Are you serious. If I were a Mod I would ban you for life, you Troll.

He probably thinks Jacory or Snickers where better.

I doubt that Colostomy bag thinks. Period.

It's crazy how some folks on this board get bent out of shape if you rip on
one of the street agent coaches in soFla, but not a peep out of them when some
****** makes a comment on one of our former or current players.

Advertisement
With the bad news coming out about Jim Kelly it got me thinking. Is he the most underrated Cane in relation to actual importance to the overall history of the program?

Prayers to Jim Kelly.

On topic, I have to agree that Kelly was at the very least one of the most underrated Canes. You almost never hear people talk about Jim Kelly when they talk about Miami's past. Kosar, Walsh, Testaverde, and Dorsey get most of the talk, but I rarely ever hear about Kelly and Miami.

With the bad news coming out about Jim Kelly it got me thinking. Is he the most underrated Cane in relation to actual importance to the overall history of the program?

I don't know if he is the most underrated but he was certainly Schnelly's first important recruit. I would argue that the most underrated Hurricane in the modern era is Lester Williams. Saban turned the tide by keeping kids like Williams home who would normally go to Florida or leave the state. One thing I know that 1981 Miami Hurricane defense is the most underrated defense in school history. And Miami was arguably the best team in the country by seasons end. Miami lost 2 games because they were jobbed at Austin and at Starkville.

Jim was nails. I liked Larry Brodsky a lot but he was a possession receiver. The other receiver was Mark Rodrique, a converted QB. Imagine if Jim was throwing to Eddie Brown.

Best wishes out to Jim and his family. He'll beat it.

great memory, Miami was a great team that year and got screwed in both of those games. Could have won their first title that year.

Yep, that was a great team. Beat a very strong PennState team that was loaded with NFLers like Sean Farrell, Mike Munchak, Curt Warner,
Kenny Jackson, Todd Blackledge, Paul Lankford,etc....Jim Kelly was part of that 1978 Class that was loaded with many highly-recruited players.
That was as good a class as any in UM history.
Ironically, the QB signee that garnered more attention than Kelly was this guy from Boca Raton named Mark Richt.
Anyways, what a class....players like Lester Williams, Tony Chickillo, David Jefferson, Fred Marion, Richt, Mark Cooper, Larry Brodsky, and
son recruited by everyone in the country.

I don't know if he is the most underrated but he was certainly Schnelly's first important recruit. I would argue that the most underrated Hurricane in the modern era is Lester Williams. Saban turned the tide by keeping kids like Williams home who would normally go to Florida or leave the state. One thing I know that 1981 Miami Hurricane defense is the most underrated defense in school history. And Miami was arguably the best team in the country by seasons end. Miami lost 2 games because they were jobbed at Austin and at Starkville.

Jim was nails. I liked Larry Brodsky a lot but he was a possession receiver. The other receiver was Mark Rodrique, a converted QB. Imagine if Jim was throwing to Eddie Brown.

great memory, Miami was a great team that year and got screwed in both of those games. Could have won their first title that year.

Yep, that was a great team. Beat a very strong PennState team that was loaded with NFLers like Sean Farrell, Mike Munchak, Curt Warner,
Kenny Jackson, Todd Blackledge, Paul Lankford,etc....Jim Kelly was part of that 1978 Class that was loaded with many highly-recruited players.
Ironically, the QB signee that garnered more attention than Kelly was this guy from Boca Raton named Mark Richt.
Anyways, what a class....players like Lester Williams, Tony Chickillo, David Jefferson, Fred Marion, Richt, Mark Cooper, Larry Brodsky, and
son recruited by everyone in the country

The 78 class was terrific. It's too bad most Canes fans have no idea how much Lou Saban did to put it on the right path. He is almost completely overlooked.

May our Holy Mother protect and comfort Jim. Jim kind of started the whole Cane thing. If I am not mistaken, he set of a ship fund and really began the whole coming back to THE U family thing. Clearly, on the field his win in Happy Valley was huge map marker. It is scary to think what he could have done with some of the teams that followed him. Lester Williams was much bigger deal than he is given credit for and maybe more underrated because most serious fan know about Jim and only hard core ones seem to remember the mountain from CC. Sure could use him today.

Advertisement

Wasn't Rodrique's name Mike?

Yes, it was. I actually know a Mark Rodrique.

son recruited by everyone in the country

The 78 class was terrific. It's too bad most Canes fans have no idea how much Lou Saban did to put it on the right path. He is almost completely overlooked.

That is because he quit and was followed by a truly all time great coach and man. But Lou started it, there is no doubt.

Kelly was a Lou Saban recruit.

Yeah, you're right. Jim redshirted in 1978. Kenny McMillan was the QB.

May our Holy Mother protect and comfort Jim. Jim kind of started the whole Cane thing. If I am not mistaken, he set of a ship fund and really began the whole coming back to THE U family thing. Clearly, on the field his win in Happy Valley was huge map marker. It is scary to think what he could have done with some of the teams that followed him. Lester Williams was much bigger deal than he is given credit for and maybe more underrated because most serious fan know about Jim and only hard core ones seem to remember the mountain from CC. Sure could use him today.

We played Carol City in the spring jamboree at M/D North in 1977. Our center, who was no more than 190 pounds but one of the toughest kids I've ever know, cut Lester play after play and Lester was very ineffective and getting ****ed off. Thank God it was only a quarter. I can't remember who they scrimmaged after us. It may have been Norland, but I do remember he was unstoppable and dominating. He was an absolute man among boys his senior season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
******' A. Prayers to him and his family. Always appreciated what Jim showed. Just a ballsy player.

Had the pleasure of meeting Jim twice , he came over both times because I was wearing U gear (once at a basketball game and once a restaurant in Buffalo) Great family and extended family (brothers).
Wish him and his family the best.

Advertisement
I knew Jim in college. One tough SOB. He has the right persona to beat this thing. My son is a cancer survivor. He spent 8 months in the hospital and one thing I learned is that ATTITUDE is SO important.

Prayers to the entire Kelly family

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak 23m
Jim Kelly’s wife Jill announces that surgery has been canceled. “The cancer is in areas that surgery cannot successfully eradicate.

Advertisement
Back