Jess Simpson mic'd up

Advertisement
Jonathan Ford is a leannnnn 310 DT!

he is night and day different than when he came on campus. he was a big boy when he got here with a little high school pudge around the waist. felder and bellamy have transformed his body over the last few months and it's very noticeable in his waistline and face.

Clips are clips...but, based upon his pedigree and that he's coming from the NFL, we might have a complete DL coach now. I'll be intrigued to see how our production will be against LSU.

Last edited:
I have anticipated Simpson's "mic'd up" more than any other coach this season. Yes, its just a clip....nothing earth shattering. Yet, it validated what I already believed to be true. The dude is very intense, hands on, and most importantly, a true technician. The reason why I say, "most importantly" as it relates to him being a technician, is because that is the only skill that Kul graced us with before he decided to go lick Saban's taint for a living. Simpson, clearly is a technician and much more. It's hard to imagine Simpson not succeeding at Miami.

Advertisement
Yawn! Y’all loved Beard when y’all saw his video clip coaching and y’all just knew Kool was John Wooden of position coaches!

Calm down

I understand your point but when did Beard get handpicked by an NFL head coach to be a part of his staff? When did Beard work on weekly installs for an NFL team? When did Beard analyze free agent players for an NFL team?

Would someone mind explaining what he's teaching with the "peek" drill and how that translates to the game? I've seen that in a few videos they've released with Coach Simpson in it. Thanks in advance

Primary gap and secondary gap.

Basically the DT's primary gap might be the B-gap, but they're giving the DL freedom to shed and make plays in other gaps.

Advertisement
Yawn! Y’all loved Beard when y’all saw his video clip coaching and y’all just knew Kool was John Wooden of position coaches!

Calm down

Well the difference is...Beard didn't have nowhere the near the resume Simpson has. Beard was on U-School's staff when we hired him.

Players take on the personality of their coach. That energy, passion and enthusiasm goes a long way. A coach who's slightly less knowledgeable can sometimes get more production out of a player simply with effort and energy. (not that he's short on knowledge or anything, just saying)

Advertisement
y

yeah, when i first saw that i was nervous because it reminded of donut and his two gap stuff ... can any coaches weigh in
I had the same feeling until I heard, "peek to your primary." Sound's like it's still a 1 gap D-line.

Advertisement
Would someone mind explaining what he's teaching with the "peek" drill and how that translates to the game? I've seen that in a few videos they've released with Coach Simpson in it. Thanks in advance

To me its a sound way to play against the run. Allows you to attack your man first, get leverage on him first, but still be able to read whats happening in the backfield, and make a play accordingly.

Didnt see Machos post before i posted, which is 100% correct.

Its how the Seahawks, Rex Ryan, and Saban use their interior linemen. Sometimes its called 2-gap 1-gap (TGOG).

Its a one gap system in that you immediatelt attack your gap and get leverage on your man, but depending on the block you get you should be able to shed in either direction and make a play. Its a modern and effective way to play interior DL, and if done with great players impossible to run on.

I can understand not buying into Simpson, simply based off of a clip. However, if you are hating on him after watching the clip, and hating on the people that are excited about the clip, then you are just a f'ucking __________. ****, the term slips me.

Advertisement
Back