Jerome Washington- JUCO TE Commits to Miami

http://tbo.com/sports/preps/gattaca-this-one-is-not-a-movie-its-football-384336

This Gattaca is a club football program whose players attend nearby Mercer County Community College (MCCC). Like Florida, there's no junior college football in New Jersey, so Galarza decided to start a club for players who either didn't get recruited by a university or didn't have the grades or test score requirements to play in college.
Gattaca isn't a junior college program, but it operates like one. It's players have to be enrolled at Mercer and be working toward a degree. Gattaca plays junior college teams, college junior varsity squads (Penn is on the 2012 schedule) and prep schools.

Advertisement
"Rutgers, I was talking to them for a year and a half and they never wanted to offer me (until this week) - I don't know why - but then I got a call from Miami and I was like `That's where I want to go.' And then after that I got messages from Nebraska, Washington, an email from Alabama that I would get offers."

"He asked if I was interested in playing for them," Washington said. "I said `I'm committed to Miami, done.'"

"Rutgers, I was talking to them for a year and a half and they never wanted to offer me (until this week) - I don't know why - but then I got a call from Miami and I was like `That's where I want to go.' And then after that I got messages from Nebraska, Washington, an email from Alabama that I would get offers."

"He asked if I was interested in playing for them," Washington said. "I said `I'm committed to Miami, done.'"

what source did that come from?

Don't expect him to stick. If Rutgers offers then he is going there.

Based on what? I read some quotes from him and he is ecstatic to have a Miami offer. Said he's "done." He said this to an Alabama coach, by the way. I think he might have pulled in Alabama and Nebraska offers had he not committed to Miami.

I really like this commitment. This is being smart and creative. We've gotten some very good players over the years who were not on any recruiting lists.

Will the acc three semesters in JC rule come into play here? I hope not. Seems like a unique situation.

Doesn't apply because he was a full qualifier coming out o high school, he just attended juco to get recruited on the field.

Go Canes

Advertisement

Matt Shodell from CaneSport. And please don't give me this nonsense that it's CaneSport so it can't be reliable. I doubt that Shodell makes up quotes.

Will the acc three semesters in JC rule come into play here? I hope not. Seems like a unique situation.

Doesn't apply because he was a full qualifier coming out o high school, he just attended juco to get recruited on the field.

Go Canes

Apparently, he didn't play JUCO football. He attended Mercer County Community College while he played for Gattaca, a club football program that plays Juco teams. There's one in New Jersey, apparently a Gattaca club in Tampa. I think UM reviewed his film from Gattaca. So, I don't think he would have used up any eligibility to play college football since he didn't play in a Juco program.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see M3M's post above. It is more comprehensive than mine.

Chk your msg's

Well there you go I guess thats one of the reasons Clarington hasnt heard from coaches lately

From the story I read, the coaches just found out about this kid a few days ago. So, if they were slow-playing Clarington, I don't think it was because they were looking at this kid.

Advertisement
pretty much we got a 21 year old incoming Freshman. im down with that.

The oldest player I've ever heard of at UM was Frank Reinhardt, a DE at UM in the early '60's. I think he was a military veteran and was 28 years old his senior year. That's my recollection. Whether there have been others, I don't know. I think Freddy Highsmith might have been well into his 20's when he came to Miami.

Go Canes

He doesn't play for a JUCO. He takes classes at Mercer County CC just for the sake of earning credit. JW plays for a prep team at Gattaca.

Welcome to the U.. You now have a lot of haters and doubters that are Cane fans, time to put in work and shut them up..

Advertisement
Our coaching staff is far too busy to send out bat signals right now. And evidently it seems as though they are far too busy to maintain any type of communication with our current commits too.

Punishment for the banner, little if any communication to the fan base.

Last edited:
dwightshrutecelebrating.gif

We need TE's!

Advertisement
My guess is the club team counts like a flag footbal league, meaning it doesn't. He has 4 to play 4.

Film looks great but it will be interesting to see how he does when someone actually is guarding him going long or when he isn't 6" taller than the people triple teaming him.

Advertisement
Back