Jermaine Grace

I remember coach d and golden being reluctant to accept denzel too.. they had to have coach barrow convince them, I bet they are happy with that decision..

They obviously loved Spence too, grace is in the same mold. As long as we aren't loading up on guys like that u can always take a undersized guy wit high upside..

ESPECIALLY if u team him up with uber talent thomas

Advertisement
Probably just Golden seeing how he responds to the challenge. I don't think a team should be too rigid in their height/weight requirements for certain positions. Especially in college.

I still don't see how he's that undersized. At a legit 6' 1", he's freakin' 196 pounds BEFORE his senior season in High School. He'll be 205, at least, by the time he steps on campus, and could be up to 210. By the time he redshirts and/or ever steps foot on the field for a meaningful snap at the LB position, he'll likely have progressed to a 6' 1" 220 LB (and that's under the presumption that snap has to take place as a RS Frosh). By the time he's counted on as a cog in the defense (his RS Soph year, presumably), he's potentially a 6' 1" 230 pound player. That's essentially what Rocky Mcintosh mostly played at in his time here.

I hope this "undersized" issue with the coaches (again, using Perryman as the previous reference) is something they mainly use for inspiring the kids to work hard to bulk up.

If a guy like Grace isn't in this class, he's exactly the type of player we'll see as a Sophomore or Junior get 1st team all-conference honors at Pitt or a similar program. Again, he's the type of guy Auburn used to sneak out of South Florida.

Advertisement
Agree with LuCane.

Grace is a very fluid and instinctive football player. In the video, he showed the ability to key and diagnose, read and react quickly, and make plays. (115 tackles, 5 sacks) I get the Spence comparisons. Showed good coverage awareness and the ability to drop into zones, cover RBs and TEs. (4ints) He's got the hips to turn, change direction, and run in a fluid motion. He has the speed and sideline to sideline range to chase down the ball carrier and takes good pursuit angles. (4.57) Upside is high.

That Sean Spence guy was pretty good. His teammate Lavonte David wasn't half bad either.

+10000 Size is overrated at LB, just like "homerun speed" is overrated at RB. If you had 3 "undersized" Spences running your LB unit, you'd have the best LB unit in the country.

Smh

No.

lol. Yes.
Linebackers need to be able to get off blocks. I don't care how speedy your linebackers are, if I can get a body on them at the second level and they are too weak to shed the block or are forced to run around the block due to smallness, I can kill you with inside runs and little screen passes all day long.

The only reason it worked in the past is we had Jerome brown, Cortez Kennedy, russel Maryland, Vince wilfork, etc demanding double teams and holing blockers at that first level, allowing our linebackers to roam free w all that speed.

Well, south Florida doesn't produce tackles like that. That's why golden and co are going to bigger linebackers that fit the kinds of kids we can recruit in south Florida.

That Sean Spence guy was pretty good. His teammate Lavonte David wasn't half bad either.

+10000 Size is overrated at LB, just like "homerun speed" is overrated at RB. If you had 3 "undersized" Spences running your LB unit, you'd have the best LB unit in the country.

Smh

No.

lol. Yes.
Linebackers need to be able to get off blocks. I don't care how speedy your linebackers are, if I can get a body on them at the second level and they are too weak to shed the block or are forced to run around the block due to smallness, I can kill you with inside runs and little screen passes all day long.

The only reason it worked in the past is we had Jerome brown, Cortez Kennedy, russel Maryland, Vince wilfork, etc demanding double teams and holing blockers at that first level, allowing our linebackers to roam free w all that speed.

Well, south Florida doesn't produce tackles like that. That's why golden and co are going to bigger linebackers that fit the kinds of kids we can recruit in south Florida.

lol no. Your DT argument makes no sense. No matter how big your LBs are, if your DTs stink so much that OL are constantly getting to your LBs, your LBs are going to get steamrolled by the 300lb OL on inside runs. It dont matter if your LB is 240lb Leon Williams or 210lb Perryman. They're both gonna suffer the same fate.

LB is all about diagnosing plays in an instant, taking proper pursuit angles to the ball carrier, and great tackling technique and ability. Sure, you need a certain minimum threshold size to take the punishment of tackles and collisions. But after that, its all about other characteristics. If Golden thinks Grace is going to remain at 196lb and wont develop physically, that is the ONLY reason not to take him. Otherwise, he'd be a mindboggling ****** to think a "light" 6'1 220-225lbish Grace wouldnt have outstanding potential to be yet another shutdown LB in Miami's proud lineage. lol. Just like the myth about "homerun speed" being some kind of critical standard for RBs, "size" is also overrated. A LB corps of 3 Spences would beat the shi* out of every other LB corps in the country.

Grace is not on the same planet as Sean Spence in terms of football instincts. That being said I really do not get what we are doing at LB. We need at least 2 and preferably 3 and I really dont get what we are doing. I want George Williams in this class. I want Grace. I get if you arent in love with either or Deeb and can see slow playing one or two but this lets not recruit anyone but Thomas (who might even end up as a D End) thing doesnt make sense. We will see though.

Advertisement
Grace is not on the same planet as Sean Spence in terms of football instincts. That being said I really do not get what we are doing at LB. We need at least 2 and preferably 3 and I really dont get what we are doing. I want George Williams in this class. I want Grace. I get if you arent in love with either or Deeb and can see slow playing one or two but this lets not recruit anyone but Thomas (who might even end up as a D End) thing doesnt make sense. We will see though.

Before the news on Witt our number was 2 and Thomas is the clear #1 target. Not much room for anyone else because we aren't considering that there are guys out there we don't even know about.

Now that it looks like we have a need for another one I think we will see some changes in how we are recruiting the position.

kid looks plenty big to me for a HS kid and he has the frame to put on good weight. I think the staff must be motivating him. can't imagine how you wouldn't want this kid

Smh

No.

lol. Yes.

lol no. Your DT argument makes no sense. No matter how big your LBs are, if your DTs stink so much that OL are constantly getting to your LBs, your LBs are going to get steamrolled by the 300lb OL on inside runs. It dont matter if your LB is 240lb Leon Williams or 210lb Perryman. They're both gonna suffer the same fate.

LB is all about diagnosing plays in an instant, taking proper pursuit angles to the ball carrier, and great tackling technique and ability. Sure, you need a certain minimum threshold size to take the punishment of tackles and collisions. But after that, its all about other characteristics. If Golden thinks Grace is going to remain at 196lb and wont develop physically, that is the ONLY reason not to take him. Otherwise, he'd be a mindboggling ****** to think a "light" 6'1 220-225lbish Grace wouldnt have outstanding potential to be yet another shutdown LB in Miami's proud lineage. lol. Just like the myth about "homerun speed" being some kind of critical standard for RBs, "size" is also overrated. A LB corps of 3 Spences would beat the shi* out of every other LB corps in the country.

Any LB will have a difficult time when an OL get to the second level, but undersized LBs routinely have troubles shedding blocks from FB/TE/ H-backs. Spence's incredible instincts helped him mask that deficiency admirably, but he still struggled there. If Spence is an inch or two taller and 15 to 20 lbs heavier and you have a top ten pick.

Just referencing the height/weight thread, Jawand Blue weighs 194 lbs so would Golden really not take Grace's commitment?

Advertisement
Jeff Luc is going #1 in the draft because he is built like a prototypical LBer

I call myself out when I'm wrong, but I was on the **** money on Luc. Was given a hard time about it early on, then people started seeing how stiff the dude was. You can't play LB if you have lead in your hips and feet.

Advertisement
Jeff Luc is going #1 in the draft because he is built like a prototypical LBer

I call myself out when I'm wrong, but I was on the **** money on Luc. Was given a hard time about it early on, then people started seeing how stiff the dude was. You can't play LB if you have lead in your hips and feet.

I was there with ya.

I remember when people were going ape**** when he deflected a pass at FNL.

Just referencing the height/weight thread, Jawand Blue weighs 194 lbs so would Golden really not take Grace's commitment?

Blue may have a higher upside for strength and packing on muscle, even though they are the same weight. The coaches recruiting him would be able to tell.

Blue will redshirt.

CaneSuger said:
Blue may have a higher upside for strength and packing on muscle, even though they are the same weight. The coaches recruiting him would be able to tell.

Blue will redshirt.

They will take the commitment, but they aren't crazy about him. I've heard from two different sources that they aren't pushing hard for him. Again, they will take his commitment, but they won't be beating themselves up over it if he goes somewhere else.

Advertisement
Back