Jeremiah Payton

Advertisement
I think Payton is developing at the rate id expect. Just slowed with injuries and I believe had a Covid issue but he’s been in the rotation
This will be what, his 3rd season in Miami? I dunno what to think about him tbh. If he gets passed by any of the 3 incoming freshman on a depth chart he is already not high on me thinks he be gone.

Hope he balls and proves me wrong though.

Advertisement
This will be what, his 3rd season in Miami? I dunno what to think about him tbh. If he gets passed by any of the 3 incoming freshman on a depth chart he is already not high on me thinks he be gone.

Hope he balls and proves me wrong though.
I mean..if your expectations of every high 4 star is for them to have AR82 fresh and soph years your setting your self up for disappointment..none of our Fresh wr were EEs so they are gonna have a adjustment period. I expect Payton to be in the rotation once again. I don’t expect him to be a featured player this szn. So his production..25-30 rec 3TDs 🤷🏾‍♂️ That’s a good szn for a rotational WR imo

I mean..if your expectations of every high 4 star is for them to have AR82 fresh and soph years your setting your self up for disappointment..none of our Fresh wr were EEs so they are gonna have a adjustment period. I expect Payton to be in the rotation once again. I don’t expect him to be a featured player this szn. So his production..25-30 rec 3TDs 🤷🏾‍♂️ That’s a good szn for a rotational WR imo
I set no expectations for them nor compared them to AR82. I said if he is behind any of them on the depth chart then he is In trouble.

I would be shocked for him to get those #s as he will likely trail in targets to Harley, Rambo, KW, Mallory, Pope, Wiggins (ducks), Redding, Knighton and who knows who else.

If he makes the leap and becomes a regular in the rotation good for him, but I am not holding my breath.

That is a great season for a rotational WR, allow me to point out though.... 57 (Harley); 38 (Brevin); 33 (Pope); 31 (Wiggins); 22 (Mallory); 18 (Cam Harris)

Those are our receptions from last year. So your estimate at 25-30, puts him in Pope/Wiggins territory who played **** near everyyyyy snap at WR. When you say 25-30 receptions for the year, it does not seem like a lot. But in reality when you look at our numbers, that is basically a starter. Throw in the fact we have Rambo and Harley who will likely be at the top, that just seems too optimistic unless he really turns it on. If we see him starting to fall behind the freshman, writing is on the wall.

Last edited:
I set no expectations for them nor compared them to AR82. I said if he is behind any of them on the depth chart then he is In trouble.

I would be shocked for him to get those #s as he will likely trail in targets to Harley, Rambo, KW, Mallory, Pope, Wiggins (ducks), Redding, Knighton and who knows who else.

If he makes the leap and becomes a regular in the rotation good for him, but I am not holding my breath.
Based on how Lashlee/likens seems to want to play 8-10 guys..idk 12 was getting reps until that Covid situation

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Payton is in his 3rd yr here. He’s contributed 5 rec & couldn’t get consistent playing time. Right now, our WR room is Harley, Rambo, Pope, Wiggins, Key, X, Redding, Worsham, Brinson, George, B Smith, & Curtis. That’s a log jam of a WR room.

Who is Payton going to beat out for PT? We know Harley & Rambo are locks. Key seemed to be a hot name, along w/ X pushing for the #3 spot. Assuming Pope nor Wiggins transfer, I’m going to assume they’ll be in heavy rotation even if they don’t start.

My point is, when will Payton get an opp to make a Lance Leggett like leap? Couple that w/ our RBs being used as receivers coming out the backfield & hearing zero about him during Spring Camp….Iunno man. I was excited about him, especially after his Paradise performance, but hoping he’s a late developer & become an asset. Definitely don’t want to see him as a top 10 WR bust from his class.

Payton is in his 3rd yr here. He’s contributed 5 rec & couldn’t get consistent playing time. Right now, our WR room is Harley, Rambo, Pope, Wiggins, Key, X, Redding, Worsham, Brinson, George, B Smith, & Curtis. That’s a log jam of a WR room.

Who is Payton going to beat out for PT? We know Harley & Rambo are locks. Key seemed to be a hot name, along w/ X pushing for the #3 spot. Assuming Pope nor Wiggins transfer, I’m going to assume they’ll be in heavy rotation even if they don’t start.

My point is, when will Payton get an opp to make a Lance Leggett like leap? Couple that w/ our RBs being used as receivers coming out the backfield & hearing zero about him during Spring Camp….Iunno man. I was excited about him, especially after his Paradise performance, but hoping he’s a late developer & become an asset. Definitely don’t want to see him as a top 10 WR bust from his class.
Worsham and Payton gone by fall camp is my bet. Curtis not playing WR either.

These situations find a way to settle themselves. Attrition happens one way or another. In 2017 the core WR group was AR, Berrios, Cager and JT. Berrios graduated, AR had a career ending injury and the other guys transferred (or almost did and declared early).

No insider knowledge but I'd be surprised if Pope doesn't transfer. Maybe he just doesn't have any options though. Either way Payton should be the direct backup to Keyshawn Smith at least until Brashard Smith is ready to make an impact.

It's a tempo offense and if the team is as good as it should be there will be a lot of games where 6-8 WRs get a lot of snaps. 2020 LSU had a ton of WRs both vets and young guys and they all got theirs even with the team being mediocre.

Advertisement
Back