Jeremiah Payton

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dam dude went from possible breakout to contact tracing and now he is gone.. crazy how thin that line of success can be
the whole possible breakout should be viewed a lot more skeptically in retrospect. we hear hype about kids who haven’t done it yet every year and for too long, it’s often been wrong. greentree all american became a quip. It’s far more likely payton just isn’t what people had hoped or whispered. For the record, Occam agrees with this post.

the whole possible breakout should be viewed a lot more skeptically in retrospect. we hear hype about kids who haven’t done it yet every year and for too long, it’s often been wrong. greentree all american became a quip. It’s far more likely payton just isn’t what people had hoped or whispered. For the record, Occam agrees with this post.
You are right, another greentree all american, I wonder do we have a preseason list going into camp.. lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
IMO Payton is actually a really good example of how hype and orange and green glasses distort expectations around here.

He was never that great a prospect. He wasn’t physically an outlier or athletically one. He was a solid prospect. not a pop off the film kid. not a grandma kid. But ‘19 was a tough class for us. Transition year from Richt. Offensive recruiting was brutal. Only Payton at WR, Hodges at TE, Clark, ElGammel and lest minute Nelson at OL (thank goodness we took Nelson).

We knew we needed WR - richt showed up saying so. We needed more than one guy. Yes we took 4 in ‘18 - 2 left pretty fast and the other 2 ain’t turned out as hoped yet. The roster needed another real player.

So the whispers started - we only got one but he’s under-rated. going to surprise. etc. you couldn’t say ‘wow’ from his film so it was always how ‘smooth’ he looked. then some ‘what im hearing’ stuff about greentree or practice….

it’s all well intentioned, but it follows a pattern. this kid never was what folks wanted. it happens. not calling him out. just don’t see why after all this time people still think it coulda been. lots of kids come to the program and don’t work out. generally, it’s because they weren’t good enough or couldn’t follow the rules or both.

I think what happens is that at WR and DE, in particular, people get over-hyped on kids and then expect more than they should from them. Seems like a less common phenomenon at some other positions.

IMO Payton is actually a really good example of how hype and orange and green glasses distort expectations around here.

He was never that great a prospect. He wasn’t physically an outlier or athletically one. He was a solid prospect. not a pop off the film kid. not a grandma kid. But ‘19 was a tough class for us. Transition year from Richt. Offensive recruiting was brutal. Only Payton at WR, Hodges at TE, Clark, ElGammel and lest minute Nelson at OL (thank goodness we took Nelson).

We knew we needed WR - richt showed up saying so. We needed more than one guy. Yes we took 4 in ‘18 - 2 left pretty fast and the other 2 ain’t turned out as hoped yet. The roster needed another real player.

So the whispers started - we only got one but he’s under-rated. going to surprise. etc. you couldn’t say ‘wow’ from his film so it was always how ‘smooth’ he looked. then some ‘what im hearing’ stuff about greentree or practice….

it’s all well intentioned, but it follows a pattern. this kid never was what folks wanted. it happens. not calling him out. just don’t see why after all this time people still think it coulda been. lots of kids come to the program and don’t work out. generally, it’s because they weren’t good enough or couldn’t follow the rules or both.

I think what happens is that at WR and DE, in particular, people get over-hyped on kids and then expect more than they should from them. Seems like a less common phenomenon at some other positions.
I agree with this I was not impressed by his film either but you can’t say that on here…

He was never that great a prospect. He wasn’t physically an outlier or athletically one. He was a solid prospect. not a pop off the film kid. not a grandma kid. But ‘19 was a tough class for us. Transition year from Richt. Offensive recruiting was brutal.

Dugans may of been one of the worst evaluators of WR talent in program history.

Excellent post and it really explains the entire phenomenon of over hyping certain kids very well. Its very easy to get caught up in and lost in that entire tendency and I have myself been guilty on multiple occasions.

Having said that I'm curious if there are any current players at WR or DE or any other position that you think may fall into this category or that fans may be setting themselves up for disappointment with? I know that Chanz Williams has received a good amount of hype since he signed here but he was also well regarded as a HS prospect.

Advertisement
Back