Jeremiah Payton

I really like Payton and hopefully we can see him in the rotation more but 1 catch against BCU(which you all love to point out) and now he’s our best WR?

You just can’t make this **** up.

Advertisement
Wide receiver is a position where if you're really good and a real baller, you play early and contribute regularly.

He is the guy that I want to see if they are legit or if he's just another guy for now.

That catch did not look like a true freshman with his first catch. He looked more experienced than half the receivers we've seen getting reps off the bench. Hope to see more of him next next week.

Advertisement
I haven’t seen anyone here saying RS him..I personally don’t think he’s better than Hightower, Osborn’, or Dee at this stage(guys who play his specific position)..rn Osborn is the most dependable WR on the team. Payton is on ST tho so I don’t think he’ll be RS

Hightower is slow and gets very little separation. He also has not always caught catchable balls. Wiggins is fast but has shaky hands. Now that the coaches seem committed to playing Hightower and Wiggins, they need to prove their worth. If not, and Payton is able to show out in limited spots, he should past them by.

I wasn't talking about people here suggesting he be shirted, I was making a point in general where the staff seems to only wanna play certain players in tougher games, but will say we have a short bench in those very same games.

It doesn't have to be an either or about who's better, just play them all. We're not in position to be just letting talent sit on the bench, we need to throw as many players out there at the skill spots as we have until we start beating ACC opponents.

We don't have the luxury of being picky with talented players, throw'em out there & let'em play, the more weapons Jarren has to work with the better.
Yep. If you’re deep at WR (and we are) why not use that to our advantage and run other teams ragged chasing our guys all over the place? Keep em fresh and wear those DBs the fck out.

P. S. Nice to see Pope prove the idiots who had already given up on him wrong. Yeah. I know I know. It’s only Cookman.

Advertisement
Yep. If you’re deep at WR (and we are) why not use that to our advantage and run other teams ragged chasing our guys all over the place? Keep em fresh and wear those DBs the fck out.

P. S. Nice to see Pope prove the idiots who had already given up on him wrong. Yeah. I know I know. It’s only Cookman.
Exactly.

We can run multiple 3/4 wide sets & keep constant pressure on DB's having to cover al those different variations of WR's, which is exactly what Oklahoma does.

And Pope is bound to light it up, he just needs the opportunity. I hope he's healthy by the time we play UVA because he can be a potential matchup nightmare for their secondary.

Advertisement
Payton falls under the "moves different" category. Crazy long arms help, too.
Gonna be tough this year with 3 other, older guys, also vying for time at Split End (X).

Don’t care. Until proven otherwise, he’s got something different than any of the others. Guy doesn’t need to be open to be open, and an accurate QB like JW is the perfect compliment for him. Dude stands out as special among a talented group of wr’s.

Advertisement
Teams rarely reach 80 offensive plays in a game. Even if you look at blowouts.

Even if you look at the teams who do get to the 80 per game plus, there’s no direct correlation to team wins and success.

Possession of the ball(time) is a stat that correlates directly to winning. Its more about being efficient in what you do.

As for what “fits our player type”. I think that’s speaks more to the style of offense than tempo or running as many plays as possible. I still think a multiple offense with a balanced approach is better football. Teams who run 80plus plays per game also keeps the D out on the field longer (see chip kelly) which is to their detriment..even Clemson off the top of my head is in the 70 plays per game territory. And you have to account a lot of that happens in games they have pulled away in.

It’s always about TOP

Teams rarely reach 80 offensive plays in a game. Even if you look at blowouts.

Even if you look at the teams who do get to the 80 per game plus, there’s no direct correlation to team wins and success.

Possession of the ball(time) is a stat that correlates directly to winning. Its more about being efficient in what you do.

As for what “fits our player type”. I think that’s speaks more to the style of offense than tempo or running as many plays as possible. I still think a multiple offense with a balanced approach is better football. Teams who run 80plus plays per game also keeps the D out on the field longer (see chip kelly) which is to their detriment..even Clemson off the top of my head is in the 70 plays per game territory. And you have to account a lot of that happens in games they have pulled away in.

It’s always about TOP
You don’t get it and pretty much everything you said is wrong. Chip Kelly doesn’t do what he did at Oregon, and you don’t have to play at breakneck speed to run 80 plays.

You don’t get it and pretty much everything you said is wrong. Chip Kelly doesn’t do what he did at Oregon, and you don’t have to play at breakneck speed to run 80 plays.
Okay, go look at the actual stats. Go look at the teams who run 80 plus plays per game. Bama, Clemson and OU annually each hover at 70-75 per game...too run 80 plays plus per game means you are running a very high tempo offense..Texas tech, Baylor type teams..the only annual power who has been averaging 80 per is OSU..under Enos I see us in the 70 plus range. I can tell early on This a offense that is going to depend on efficiency, TOP, and getting 1st downs to compliment what we want to do on defense...chip is my point..wonder why he changed philosophy

You run 80 plus plays against competent teams they will score too. Your defense will give up points. A of this info is available by way of the world wide wide web. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back