Jeff Thomas: An inside look at final days of his recruitment

CANEMC

⭐️⭐️ Extra Premium
East St. Louis (Ill.) High School WR Jeff Thomas is one of the big names UM fans want to see put on a Canes hat Wednesday.

While Thomas isn’t doing interviews right now, his coach says it’s still a three-team battle - Miami, Oregon and Louisville - despite Thomas canceling his scheduled official visit to Oregon this weekend.

“He just chose not to visit there, that’s all, but they’re still in it,” coach Darren Sunkett said.

The world will find out Thomas’ choice at 10:45 a.m. EST on Wednesday - it will be televised on ESPNU from the school’s auditorium.

Many expect Thomas to wind up a Cane, and Sunkett says a UM choice wouldn’t surprise him.

“No, I wouldn’t be surprised - in my mind I think Miami, everything they have going for them definitely fits Jeff," Sunkett said.

But at the same time he cautions “Anything can happen. It can go any of three ways, you never know."

Sunkett is a long-time coach, and he’s known Mark Richt since the Cane coach was an FSU coordinator.

“He used to recruit this area when he was at FSU,” Sunkett said. “I think he’s a good guy. I definitely think he’s a players’ coach. That’s what a lot of kids look for these days. He’s just an open guy, up front, and if that’s what Jeff chooses that would be a good fit for Jeff to learn under a guy like coach Richt.”

Certainly whatever school lands Thomas will have quite a talent on its hands.

“He’s a slot receiver but he’s also a very smart football player so he’s a guy that you can move around offensively,” Sunkett said. “You can put him out wide, in the slot, in the backfield and he’ll learn various positions on the field. He picks things up very well. You have a kid that’s capable of keeping defenses off balance. He’s an awesome talent.”

Does Sunkett see early playing time for his star receiver?

“There’s no doubt,” Sunkett said. “I’d bet a year’s salary that Jeff can play right away."

From Canesport.com

Advertisement
“There’s no doubt,” Sunkett said. “I’d bet a year’s salary that Jeff can play right away."

"I’d bet a year’s salary that Jeff can play right away."

... a year’s salary that Jeff can play right away.

... a year’s salary...

... salary ...

Advertisement
If all goes according to plan, the WR class would have two dynamic slot guys in Thomas and DeeJay. Wonder how they can both be on the field.

There is talent and there is superior talent. This kid has the latter and can be a game changer. Losing on Edwards and Henderson stings but their talents are not as hard to find like this guy talent. A matchup nightmare when combined with Richards, good luck for defenses stopping us.

Advertisement
Advertisement
There is talent and there is superior talent. This kid has the latter and can be a game changer. Losing on Edwards and Henderson stings but their talents are not as hard to find like this guy talent. A matchup nightmare when combined with Richards, good luck for defenses stopping us.

Henderson has elite talent and speed too. There's a reason Saban wanted him.

Want both! :)

This kid is the best player in our class and it's not close. He looks like Percy Harvin 2.0 but more polished as a WR. He is not just a slot and should be on every return team.

Advertisement

"I’d bet a year’s salary that Jeff can play right away."

... a year’s salary that Jeff can play right away.

... a year’s salary...

... salary ...

I hope they pay big there. This is the kind of wager we would hear from a volunteer coach in the past.

UM

Thomas would make me forget about whiffing on Jeudy who's an elite receiver as well. Couple that with Harley and I'm cool with the 3 we landed. Could be a better WR class, but could also be much much worse.

Advertisement
Back