Jeff Feagles

As an only kid I spent a lot of time punting and place kicking, I was very good at both from that. I avoided doing it for as long as I could in hs, until the coaches caught me booming punts efffing around in P.E class. It just wasn’t cool to be a punter/ kicker.

That being said , it’s pretty **** easy man, I never had an awful shank in a game, worst one was an end over end punt because I didn’t hit the sweet spot. But it still went 40+.

This dude is either not good or has the yips. Consistency is pretty much half the battle as a punter , that and good leg strength. The mechanics / footwork and follow through is about as easy as you’ll find.

Nowhere near what a fg kicker deals with, everything must line up good or crazy shut will happen. From head placement , plant foot , hips, arms ( especially your left is you’re a right leg) and follow through.

I don’t get the issue, like I said a punter has nowhere near the technique issues to dal with as other positions.

I really think it's natural, I picked it up instantly almost. I think it was the soccer background. The biggest problem I had was trying to overpunt, kick it too hard, and then all of it falls apart. Then the straight leg part was a bit odd as well. I still think it's funny how announcers act like a "rugby style" punt is some accomplishment or hard. Some of the most athletic people in the world, ask them to do something with their feet and get ready for a good laugh. I could do that all day.

Anyhow, he has the leg, that is obvious from the one's he hits. So it's a technical breakdown with mental IMO. His drops, watch them, they are all over the place.

Probably again a background thing, but field goal kicking or punting was even easier. If I knew what I knew then, I would've kept with kicking instead of insisting to play soccer in college. Oh well, maybe in my next life.

Advertisement
I really think it's natural, I picked it up instantly almost. I think it was the soccer breakdown. The biggest problem I had was trying to overpunt, kick it too hard, and then all of it falls apart. Then the straight leg part was a bit odd as well. I still think it's funny how announcers act like a "rugby style" punt is some accomplishment or hard.

Anyhow, he has the leg, that is obvious from the one's he hits. So it's a technical breakdown with mental IMO. His drops, watch them, they are all over the place.

Probably again a background thing, but field goal kicking or punting was even easier. If I knew what I knew then, I would've kept with kicking instead of insisting to play soccer in college. Oh well, maybe in my next life.

The drop isn’t hard though , especially for someone like him. He’s been punting since he could walk, his dad punted for 50 years in the league . So he was always around it.

So it has to be the yips, a mental issue is the only way someone like him could be such a mess.

I also agree about the “ over punting “ , it’s like over swinging in baseball. If you swing / kick as hard as you can the results are normally bad. It’s just the same relaxed motion for both.

I should’ve swallowed my pride and took kicking , punting more serious. Being an only kid I became really good at both, and having great hands, from the tines I punted to myself lol. I just didn’t want to be a dorky punter/kicker.

Being a 5’10 white dude, running a 4.7 I should’ve had the light come on sooner.

I mean I average 40 + yards a punt my 9th grade year , most with a very tight spiral. Which was better than most of the older kids in the area.

But oh well , maybe we can both kick in our next lives.

Advertisement
Back