Jay Toia DT USC Transfer as A UM Prospect

Interesting twist with UCLA, because of PAC-12 inter conference transfer rules Toia would have to sit out 1 yr regardless of the NCAA new immediate eligibility rules for 1st time transfers.

Go Canes
I can almost feel your fingers trembling with joy as you typed this.

Advertisement
Interesting twist with UCLA, because of PAC-12 inter conference transfer rules Toia would have to sit out 1 yr regardless of the NCAA new immediate eligibility rules for 1st time transfers.

Go Canes
per the article, it's not the inter conference transfer rule..it's the letter of intent.

The game has been/was/is always won upfront.

Go Canes
Is it though? I mean you can make the argument now that the LOS is not as of utmost importance as it used to be. Did the Tampa Bay Bucs win because they had the best OL and DL, or because they had the best QB?

In 2019 did anyone think LSU had the best OL/DL? No they had the best QB and WR's. Clemson has never had a top 5 type OL group, but have won 2 NC's in recent years because of QB and WR play. Now 1 year their DL was elite I will give you that. I am not saying it isn't important, but with rule changes the game is becoming more similar to 7 on 7 than the old smash mouth game of yesteryear.

Advertisement
Is it though? I mean you can make the argument now that the LOS is not as of utmost importance as it used to be. Did the Tampa Bay Bucs win because they had the best OL and DL, or because they had the best QB?

In 2019 did anyone think LSU had the best OL/DL? No they had the best QB and WR's. Clemson has never had a top 5 type OL group, but have won 2 NC's in recent years because of QB and WR play. Now 1 year their DL was elite I will give you that. I am not saying it isn't important, but with rule changes the game is becoming more similar to 7 on 7 than the old smash mouth game of yesteryear.
I see your point but the Bucs had a great d line & 2019 LSU had an o line with 3 or 4 upperclassmen all north of 315. The game has definitely become more prominently played on the edges, and qb will always be priority # 1, but the trenches can never be downplayed.

it still is. you need a plus o and d line to win.

I see your point but the Bucs had a great d line & 2019 LSU had an o line with 3 or 4 upperclassmen all north of 315. The game has definitely become more prominently played on the edges, and qb will always be priority # 1, but the trenches can never be downplayed.
Yeah the Bucs won because Mahomes couldn’t set his feet to throw all game because the Chiefs got dominated up front.

Counter argument would be you can have the best OL and DL in the country, but with average QB and WR play you are not winning it all.

Let's not kid ourselves, the Bucs replaced Jameis with the Goat, that is why they won the Super Bowl. IT was NOT their superior LOS play.

Switch Brady and Winston this year, and the Saints would be in the SUPER BOWL, and the Bucs would go back to a .500 type team.

Again its the reason QB's are taking above OL now in the draft, and WR's also. The top 6 picks were QB, QB, QB, TE, WR, WR before an OL.

Its a reason DT is getting devalued just like RB. The game isn't played in that LOS box anymore.

Again LOS is important, my argument is it isn't AS important as it was 15-20 plus years ago.

Advertisement
Counter argument would be you can have the best OL and DL in the country, but with average QB and WR play you are not winning it all.

Let's not kid ourselves, the Bucs replaced Jameis with the Goat, that is why they won the Super Bowl. IT was NOT their superior LOS play.

Switch Brady and Winston this year, and the Saints would be in the SUPER BOWL, and the Bucs would go back to a .500 type team.
it's a give and take, perhaps a sliding scale. plus o and d line, and plus qb. But, when Baga started winning it's championships does anyone think that some of the qb's they had were great? they were good...and some average. a plus o line/d line allows just ok qb's to look really good.

Again its the reason QB's are taking above OL now in the draft, and WR's also. The top 6 picks were QB, QB, QB, TE, WR, WR before an OL.

Its a reason DT is getting devalued just like RB. The game isn't played in that LOS box anymore.

Again LOS is important, my argument is it isn't AS important as it was 15-20 plus years ago.
Counter-Counter arguement would be that no team in recent memory has won anything without solid play from their OL/DL. Multiple times in recent memory a team with average/mediocre QB/WR have won superbowls (Ravens, Broncos, Eagles). I do agree that Brady was the missing piece for TB but him PLUS an incredibly athletic front 7 that made life miserable for the Qbs they played was just as important. Qb will always be number 1 but with the shift in the way the game is played, a legit OL/DL is 2a/2b in terms of importance for me. Case in point would be the Chiefs reaction to losing the SB. They got owned up front and aggressively invested in their OL.

Don't tell Trent Dilfer that.

Advertisement

Football is and always has been, and always will be, won from the inside out. It has nothing to do with “modern trends” or “yesteryear” or any of that.

It’s geometry.

A 10 yard pass to the middle of the field is shorter than a 10 yard pass to the flats. A 5 yard run up the middle is shorter than a 5 yard run around the ends. Plays that go up the middle take less time to develop.

So the team that can dominate the middle of the field, on offense or defense, stacks the odds hugely in their favor.

Yeah the Bucs won because Mahomes couldn’t set his feet to throw all game because the Chiefs got dominated up front.
Exactly, people need to be reminded that both starting OT's for KC were out injured for the game. That made it too easy for TB.

Advertisement
For any whom doubt that true freshman transfer USC DT Jay Toia would instantly transform UM'S DT room consider the picture below of the 6'3" 335lbs young man. That is him after only 4 months in a college S&C program.

Go Canes

I agree with you all you need is above average line play with elite skill players you can win big
Wisconsin is another example of excellent line play but they don’t have the skill players to get to the next level
Our issue is for the past 5 years we don’t even have average oline play it

He says on the west coast IMO. Samoan rarely come east and when they due usually there is another Samoan coach on staff.
Well then that's great news for Miami, because Jay Toia is of Tongan descent ( completely different islands about 550 miles apart). Think of it this way it's like calling a Cuban a Puertican.
#ForDaCulture

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back