Jawaan Taylor commits to Miami

Advertisement
We will see what he is made of on Sept 11th when Cocoa Plays IMG academy since IMG has a wicked dline. I like his dedication to transforming himself as a senior but cocoa doesn't play any times with beef up front so the IMG Game will be a great test for him against top tier D1 talent.

Go Canes

Something tells me you'll be providing highlights. I look forward to them.

From Friday nights game Cocoa vs Titusville 2015 (guess which Olinemen is Taylor, LMAO)
[video=youtube;hymSAlK8WrQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hymSAlK8WrQ[/video]

Lol i played for titusville like 15 years ago, they've sucked hard since the early 90's. Only quality prospect that's come out there anytime recently was WR Willie Haulstead who went to FSU and had an up an down career.

Cocoa has played a lot of good out of state games in the past few years. Have 2 this year. I like this pick up

He's going to be a **** of a guard on our OL. Don't really care if he was dominant at tackle or not. Isidora wasn't a dominant OT in high school but he came in and was **** good at guard for us early on and is now making the transition back to tackle apparently.

I can see the same kind of thing for this kid, except with the last 2 recruiting classes of OL he may never have to kick out and play tackle, he will just live at guard.

Last edited:
I talked to a friend of mind who teaches at Cocoa High and he's also a coach he told this kid can flat out get it! Big strong mauler I hope he sticks

Advertisement
It didn't come as a big surprise Saturday that Cocoa offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor, all 6-foot-5, 330 pounds of him, committed to the Miami Hurricanes.

Taylor pledged to the 'Canes 2016 recruiting class following UM's scrimmage on Saturday.

"I like everything about it," said Taylor, who's UM recruiters have been linebackers coach Hurlie Brown and offensive line coach Art Kehoe. "The coaches have a good family bond there and I feel like I can go in there and play early and it seemed like the best fit for me to go to Miami."

Cocoa High, OT, Jawaan Taylor, 2016 Miami commit
Cocoa High offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor committed to Miami on Saturday. (Chris Hays)
Taylor, who has 11 other scholarship offers, said he never really considered any other schools.

"Not really. There were a lot of schools, but I just feel like that is the best place for me to go, so that's why I committed," he said. "It's a real nice campus and everything is beautiful there in Coral Gables. I like it a lot."

Taylor has had issues with his weight fluctuation, but he said the Miami coaches are not overly concerned. They figure once they get him on campus he will benefit from a more regimented diet and, of course, a college workout schedule.

"Coach Kehoe told me to stay on my weight loss and don't slack up," Taylor said. "He's going to come to a lot of games so he'll be keeping an eye on me. He's also looking forward to me coming to see the Nebraska and Clemson games, so they'll be keeping in touch."

Taylor would like to get down to about 320-325 pounds, he said, for his ideal playing weight, but it hasn't always been easy for him.

cComments
Got something to say? Start the conversation and be the first to comment.
ADD A COMMENT

"It was bad ... like starting my junior year I was up to about 380," Taylor said. "That's the highest I got to, but over the summer I just worked hard to get the weight off."

Not only does the loss of pounds benefit him with his mobility on the football field, but Taylor said he feels much more comfortable with himself.

"I feel a lot better and I'm moving a lot better and stuff," Taylor said. "Getting to the second level is a lot easier now, too."

Miami has not pinned him to a position on the offensive line.

"They told me any position that I can come in and play is fine," Taylor said. "I'll play any position. It don't matter to me. I'm even open to playing center, if they need me to."

Cocoa High, which has lost only seven games in the past three seasons, is looking for a return to the Florida Citrus Bowl and the state championship game. The Tigers won three straight Class 2A titles from 2008-2010, but have not been back since the FHSAA expanded the class format to eight divisions. Cocoa is now Class 4A.

As usual, Cocoa will play another tough schedule this year. The Tigers open Friday night with a road game at Melbourne Palm Bay, then they host Chesapeake (Va.) Western Branch and travel to Bradenton IMG Academy to start the season.

"We're not scared to play anybody. It's very exciting. Ever since I've been at Cocoa, we've always played some of the best teams in the country," Taylor said. "It always puts us to the test to see how good we are, playing these good teams. It's a lot of exposure and I like it a lot.

"I think we have a great chance [to win state]. We have a lot of young guys, but they're good athletes and if we just keep playing the way we play I think we can make it."

Advertisement
Back