Jason Taylor joining staff in off-field role

the real question (or at least my question) is what does an off field role mean when it comes to helping out certain positions? I understand off field would help with breaking down film and game planning but can they work with players on technique etc?
He’s basically here to be the unofficial DE coach with an emphasis on pass rushing techniques.

Advertisement
The narrative about STA on this board is incorrect IMO in regards to needing a "plug."

As I believe @gogeta4 has said, we have generally gotten the guys we have targeted from there (e.g. in last 10 years Linder(s), Hamilton, Huff, Blades, Dorsett and Harley) who do not fall in one of the below three categories:

1) Mercenaries / Front-runners - We normally never get the one year guys, whether there are in state or from out of state; or those that are just going to blue bloods because they think they should given where they play high school ball
2) Loyal to another school / coach before recruiting even starts i.e. the Bosa rule
3) Mind-numbing mistakes that are about evaluation / beta recruiting - Asante Samuel, Jordan Battle, etc.

It's not that STA has a bias against UM, its that they have a bias against a crappy on-field product and inept coaches. They know what winning looks like. Regardless of Jason Taylor (who is a high-upside hire pretty much no matter what), Mario fixing UM improves our chances at STA just like it does anywhere else (though #1 on the list will always be somewhat of an issue).

the importance of that picture is not only that JT is joining the staff and is at the IPF, but that Kosar is there, which evidences the old players coming back, a change in policy for the program from the previous regime.
Man, I read the Kosar part as "the importance of that picture is not only that JT is joining the staff and is at the IPF, but that Kosar is there, which evidences that he is still alive."

Advertisement
The narrative about STA on this board is incorrect IMO in regards to needing a "plug."

As I believe @gogeta4 has said, we have generally gotten the guys we have targeted from there (e.g. in last 10 years Linder(s), Hamilton, Huff, Blades, Dorsett and Harley) who do not fall in one of the below three categories:

1) Mercenaries / Front-runners - We normally never get the one year guys, whether there are in state or from out of state; or those that are just going to blue bloods because they think they should given where they play high school ball
2) Loyal to another school / coach before recruiting even starts i.e. the Bosa rule
3) Mind-numbing mistakes that are about evaluation / beta recruiting - Asante Samuel, Jordan Battle, etc.

It's not that STA has a bias against UM, its that they have a bias against a crappy on-field product and inept coaches. They know what winning looks like. Regardless of Jason Taylor (who is a high-upside hire pretty much no matter what), Mario fixing UM improves our chances at STA just like it does anywhere else (though #1 on the list will always be somewhat of an issue).
Not disagreeing here but 3 of the guys listed did transfer in lol.

The State of Florida is by far the richest talent crop for the class of ‘23, yet, I don’t recall any STA players on the radar this class. Maybe @Liberty City El, @Coach Macho, or @gogeta4 know of some that I can’t think of or maybe a sleeper to keep an eye on from STA
Jayvant Brown. LB that transferred in from Deerfield. Coach Macho said he brought him to the UM Cookout last offseason and Manny and staff didnt pay him any mind. So we didnt even make his top 10. HOWEVER, now that Mario is onboard, I will assume that is all going to change. He is a big time LB prospect. Maybe the best in South Florida. 6'2 220 and played LB and RB.

Yea just amazing having defensive meeting rooms with big Joe, Steele, Strong, Addae, Ed Reed, & Jason Taylor
This right here also imagine being a edge rusher or defensive lineman for that matter and know that when you sit in meetings you will have someone like JT sitting in there to help you hone your craft. I am like a poster i read earlier still can't believe this is happening.

Advertisement
The State of Florida is by far the richest talent crop for the class of ‘23, yet, I don’t recall any STA players on the radar this class. Maybe @Liberty City El, @Coach Macho, or @gogeta4 know of some that I can’t think of or maybe a sleeper to keep an eye on from STA
Reviewing 24/7 rankings, STA has 6 guys in Top 150 in the STATE of FL, but none in the Top 50 (I don't know if they got any off-season transfers that might not be updated in databases yet).

So unless they got a free agent, its a "down" year for them.

Advertisement

While that's likely all true, I think the original sentiment still stands that we were missing out on quite a few blue-chippers that weren't even putting us on their radar. I believe the original sentiment and your reasons can both be true.

Hopefully after a couple of years of Mario, we are back in that blue blood/front runner discussion.

Advertisement

Sources: NFL Hall of Famer Jason Taylor expected to join Miami in an off field role​

By GABY URRUTIA 19 minutes ago

Sources tell InsideTheU that Mario Cristobal will add one of the NFL's greatest pass rushers of all-time to his off-field staff.

NFL Hall of Famer Jason Taylor, who has been the defensive coordinator at national powerhouse Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas since March 2020, will join the Hurricanes staff as an off field analyst. Prior to calling the defense at St. Thomas Aquinas, Taylor was the defensive line coach beginning in 2017.

Taylor, who has called a defense that has won three consecutive 7A state titles in the Sunshine State, spent 13 of his 15 years in the league with the Miami Dolphins and capped off his career with 520 tackles, 139.5 sacks, and 40 forced fumbles while being selected to six Pro Bowls, and once being named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Taylor, a Pittsburgh native who played his college ball at Akron, also had brief stints with the Washington Redskins and New York Jets before retiring as a Dolphin.

The 47-year old has no college coaching experience, but has been sought after by coaches at the next level previously and has turned down opportunities to make the jump, sources tell InsideTheU.

Taylor has sent defensive linemen to Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida, and Louisville, while multiple other defenders on the Raiders roster have signed with Michigan and other Power 5 programs. Taylor's oldest son, Isaiah, inked with Arizona as a defensive back in the Class of 2021, while his next son, Mason, penned with LSU as a tight end in December.
Some of Taylor's top players at St. Thomas Aquinas include Alabama's Dallas Turner, Oklahoma's Nik Bonnito and Jaden Davis, Florida's Tyreak Sapp and Derek Wingo, and Michigan's Jaden McBurrows and Jaydon Hood.
Stay locked on to InsideTheU for more on this developing story.
Raiders coming to the Orange and Green

Cane LOCKS...all of them.

Send him and Gattis to "guide" the mamas through the recruiting process as well.

HC Super Mario Cristobigballs playing checkers, chess, star trek chess, and working out diiferential equations all at the same time.

1646336723383.gif

Manny is somewhere sad looking at this make over!!

Jayvant Brown. LB that transferred in from Deerfield. Coach Macho said he brought him to the UM Cookout last offseason and Manny and staff didnt pay him any mind. So we didnt even make his top 10. HOWEVER, now that Mario is onboard, I will assume that is all going to change. He is a big time LB prospect. Maybe the best in South Florida. 6'2 220 and played LB and RB.

@1murhurricane says the Brown recruiting situation is no longer as bleak as it was. Looks like Mario and Strong are fixing the mess Manny left.

Advertisement
Back