Jason Taylor and Joe Salave'a

grover

Senior
Premium
I was at the BC game sitting right above the team and got a great first-hand look at how our coaches interact with the team. One thing, especially, stuck out to me was the dynamic between the defensive linemen and Jason Taylor vs Joe Salave'a.

JT was constantly coaching up kids. A couple of times, while the O was on the field, the D line would all huddle together and go over game planning. JT was impressive, diagraming out plays and giving both group and individual assignments. Salave'a was just there along for the ride, and tbh, wasn't sought out by the players when they weren't on the field. When not acting as JT's sidekick, he was kind of standing by himself.

Unlike a lot of guys on here, I know how invaluable Joe's role is as a pipe to the Poly community. I want him on this staff, and honestly am fine with the JT/JS tandem as is.

But make no mistake, the entire DL is run by Jason with Joe acting as his de facto assistant. And rightfully so. Jason is going to be a DC and head coach some day soon. The guy's always present, diagnosing the opposition and coaching up kids, and he just exudes leadership. He'd bringing in the DEs. But he runs the whole DL. And I'm shocked we're not having DTs banging down the doors to play under him.

Advertisement
I was at the BC game sitting right above the team and got a great first-hand look at how our coaches interact with the team. JT was constantly coaching up kids. A couple of times, while the O was on the field, the D line would all huddle together and go over game planning. JT was impressive, diagraming out plays and giving both group and individual assignments. Salave'a was just there along for the ride, and tbh, wasn't sought out by the players when they weren't on the field. When not acting as JT's sidekick, he was kind of standing by himself.

Unlike a lot of guys on here, I know how invaluable Joe's role is as a pipe to the Poly community. I want him on this staph, and honestly am fine with the JT/JS tandem as is.

But make no mistake, the entire DL is run by Jason with Joe acting as his de facto assistant. And rightfully so. Jason is going to be a DC and head coach some day soon. The guy's always present, diagnosing the opposition and coaching up kids, and he just exudes leadership. He'd bringing in the DEs. But he runs the whole DL. And I'm shocked we're not having DTs banging down the doors to play under him.
Sounds like Joe in recruiting.

pretending-to-work.gif

I was at the BC game sitting right above the team and got a great first-hand look at how our coaches interact with the team. One thing, especially, stuck out to me was the dynamic between the defensive linemen and Jason Taylor vs Joe Salave'a.

JT was constantly coaching up kids. A couple of times, while the O was on the field, the D line would all huddle together and go over game planning. JT was impressive, diagraming out plays and giving both group and individual assignments. Salave'a was just there along for the ride, and tbh, wasn't sought out by the players when they weren't on the field. When not acting as JT's sidekick, he was kind of standing by himself.

Unlike a lot of guys on here, I know how invaluable Joe's role is as a pipe to the Poly community. I want him on this staff, and honestly am fine with the JT/JS tandem as is.

Some think we have 3 DC types under Guidry (not saying here but in their own personal careers trajectory)

Advertisement
I agree with this from my perspective. During home games I'm in the endzone where I can see the team and coaches come in and out of the tunnel and I have good view of warmups. JT runs the show and JS is there to assist. JT usually has the ear of the other assistants while going in and out of the locker room; JS is usually hanging out my himself. My sense a few weeks back was that JS was on the way out or is just staying in his lane as an analyst type.

We’d do good by promoting Taylor internally. Obviously not the DC with Guidry still on staff but maybe give him the co-DC title.
Add assistant head coach to Guidry’s title and co-defensive coordinator to Taylor’s.

If, for no other reason, just to increase their salaries and extend their contracts.

Advertisement
I mean this was told to yall in the offseason when they got rid of the the DE & DT coach designation

This dynamic is how recruiting DL has been, with JT taking primary on most DT/DE prospects including Breland, Stone, Franklin and Kendall Jackson and Joe taking lead on the others (if you trust the reports/websites). That's why i always think it's funny when all blame goes to Joe for misses. Also funny how quiet the natives are about OL recruiting this year, which is WAY down from last.

DT recruiting has been an enigma for years. I expected more DTs to want to play in Manny's 1-gap attacking D with higher stat potential but you didn't see it. DT was thin. Now with Mario and NIL i expected some dogs but with the very limited number of elite level DTs out there, it seems we're being outbid or just don't have quite enough to pull kids from national locations. Past Miami teams had STUDS up the middle.....just like the Bama and UGA teams in recent memory. We need DTs.

I don’t understand knowing how much emphasis Mario puts on both lines play and recruiting.. that he not only brought this dude over, but he refused to fire him all because he didn’t find a nice pillow soft landing place.

Dudes a huge problem, that has cost of recruits 2 years in a row.

We’d do good by promoting Taylor internally. Obviously not the DC with Guidry still on staff but maybe give him the co-DC title.

If Guidry is the goods, he'll handle Taylor and any promotions accordingly. The coaches under him know their role this late in the season. If there is a thought going through Mario's head of a promotion, it needs to go through Guidry.

Advertisement
Is this a surprise? JT was always a technician, football savant, and high IQ player--just like Zach Thomas. Physically gifted? Sure, but high football and IQ, creativity, and work ethic is how you go from CFB at Akron to the NFL HoF...

Advertisement

Was Dennis Smith standing alongside Big Joe?

Advertisement
Back