Jason Taylor and Joe Salave'a

Advertisement
Probably just finishing out his contract, mario promoting jt basically made him expendable

*cough * *cough* its clearly some one else

Your dt coach isnt affecting games on a large scale.

2 of our better starters were his direct doing and wont be here more than likely if not for him.
Recruiting wise, he's dreadful. This DL class needed to be equivalent to last years OL class and is far from it. Jason Taylor is by far the better of the two and watch them on the sidelines during games if you need validation. Development wise he's not nearly as bad but by no means.

Advertisement
TE coaching needs an upgrade as well.

Disagree there. He got promoted to on the field staff for a reason.

Alot of injuries in the TE room this year, plus guys some guys who just weren't ready to play this year. He's recruited the position well (Also brought in the JUCO Bell), and is most likely your lowest paid guy on the field. No need to get rid of him yet, lets see how next year plays out and worry about other positions to upgrade.

Advertisement
****, i'll try to find it or why was deleted. it was a '24 position rankings of commits for DL and had Miami as the #1 DL class in the nation

just funny considering all the whining all year about this exact topic
was rivals

1701979450913.png

Advertisement
I was at the BC game sitting right above the team and got a great first-hand look at how our coaches interact with the team. One thing, especially, stuck out to me was the dynamic between the defensive linemen and Jason Taylor vs Joe Salave'a.

JT was constantly coaching up kids. A couple of times, while the O was on the field, the D line would all huddle together and go over game planning. JT was impressive, diagraming out plays and giving both group and individual assignments. Salave'a was just there along for the ride, and tbh, wasn't sought out by the players when they weren't on the field. When not acting as JT's sidekick, he was kind of standing by himself.

Unlike a lot of guys on here, I know how invaluable Joe's role is as a pipe to the Poly community. I want him on this staff, and honestly am fine with the JT/JS tandem as is.

But make no mistake, the entire DL is run by Jason with Joe acting as his de facto assistant. And rightfully so. Jason is going to be a DC and head coach some day soon. The guy's always present, diagnosing the opposition and coaching up kids, and he just exudes leadership. He'd bringing in the DEs. But he runs the whole DL. And I'm shocked we're not having DTs banging down the doors to play under him.
: knock knock:

It's Justin Scott coach. Sup?

Make him the DC in waiting. Whenever Guidry leaves, promote JT to DC. That keeps continuity and you don't lose both coaches.

He doesn't have to leave SF to live out his coaching dreams. A true win-win.
I feel like this is tempting but does he actually have the schematic skill set? Coaching a position group you’re intimately familiar with from playing in at a HOF level is a very different ask from running an entire defense and calling games.

That said dude seems like a smart and motivated guy so i definitely wouldn’t rule it out. Either way i see him going to the NFL as a more likely path.

Advertisement
Mario needs to keep this staff together. If Dorsey wants to come on board, then make room for him, but other than that let's run with what we got.

It is hard to keep staffs together when you have great assistant coaches. It is simply a part of life. See Alabama and many others. You want to have coaches coveted by others. Otherwise something is wrong.

I feel like this is tempting but does he actually have the schematic skill set? Coaching a position group you’re intimately familiar with from playing in at a HOF level is a very different ask from running an entire defense and calling games.

That said dude seems like a smart and motivated guy so i definitely wouldn’t rule it out. Either way i see him going to the NFL as a more likely path.
It all depends on what his aspirations he has. I do fear that Mario will burn him out with recruiting. That's the downside of coaching in college. I have no way of knowing, but it looks like JT enjoys coaching young players as he did at the high school level. I don't think anyone enjoys the recruiting grind other than Mario.

It's hard to know. The NFL is so different. He's lived in South Florida for so many years. Does he and his wife really want to move? If the Dolphins call, maybe he makes that move, but you're only there as long a the current regime is there. Time will tell.

Advertisement
Back