Jason Blissett

I have no problem with taking the guys we're taking but we're still falling short in one area in DT recruiting and that one area is holding us back on the field right now... we have no big man in the middle eating up blocks and a bunch of 3 techs that are developmental DTs at 270-285 lbs. Somebody is getting double teamed every play in the middle and we don't have anyone that can take it right now.. if it's Bethel.. he ends up on his ***. If it's Willis he's pretty much taken out of the play and the other guys aren't good enough to make the play like McIntosh was. Last year, if it was Norton, he held his ground and let others make the play and McIntosh made the play.

We got Miller last year and he'll take that roll eventually but we need more. We can't waste Nesta as a space eater.. he needs to be the one making plays but he's the next biggest dude.

The LSU and Clemson DTs are 300-330 lbs. We're maxing out at 300 or 305. It's just tough to hang in the trenches that way. We'll make plays getting up field, but eventually you've got to have a good mix of both size and aggressiveness. If Willis had Norton at 310-315 beside him he'd be playing at an even higher level.

This x1000000. Go watch what Auburn’s war daddies did against Washington week 1. They created a wall and there was nothing UW could do about it. We need to bring in 1 big body NT type every year along with our plethora of 3Ts.

Advertisement
I have no problem with taking the guys we're taking but we're still falling short in one area in DT recruiting and that one area is holding us back on the field right now... we have no big man in the middle eating up blocks and a bunch of 3 techs that are developmental DTs at 270-285 lbs. Somebody is getting double teamed every play in the middle and we don't have anyone that can take it right now.. if it's Bethel.. he ends up on his ***. If it's Willis he's pretty much taken out of the play and the other guys aren't good enough to make the play like McIntosh was. Last year, if it was Norton, he held his ground and let others make the play and McIntosh made the play.

The DL is no doubt missing Norton & McIntosh right now. Big part of the reason the LB's aren't having near the impact they've had the last couple years. They aren't running as freely to the ball....

Last edited:
The DL is no doubt missing Norton & McIntosh right now. Big part of the reason the LB's aren't having near the impact they've had the last couple years. They aren't running as freely to the ball....
The defense is just as good or better than it was last year with Norton and McIntosh. We weren’t a great defense last year, and we’re not this year either.

You guys love glorifying guys who stupidly leave early while ramrodding the guys currently on the team.

The defense is just as good or better than it was last year with Norton and McIntosh. We weren’t a great defense last year, and we’re not this year either.

You guys love glorifying guys who stupidly leave early while ramrodding the guys currently on the team.

Needs to be Ford in this role.

Advertisement
Ford is naturally gigantic. They had him lose weight, but he’s a very big guy naturally. He shouldn’t be getting pushed around, and if he is, it has less to do with size and more to do with heart, leverage, and or technique.

Ford is naturally gigantic. They had him lose weight, but he’s a very big guy naturally. He shouldn’t be getting pushed around, and if he is, it has less to do with size and more to do with heart, leverage, and or technique.

I can't say anything about his heart I'm not on the field or staff but his leverage isn't good. He just tall and its hard to have leverage. Technique looks iffy because he was so big in HS he had none and has a ton of bad habits... mostly playing too tall and not getting hands on someone off the snap... basically just leans his shoulder into them with no leverage and they get their hands on him and direct him where to go.

He also looks weak... could just be because of the bad technique and setting himself up to get mauled. It's been said on here he lacks upper body strength... i can see that.

I can't say anything about his heart I'm not on the field or staff but his leverage isn't good. He just tall and its hard to have leverage. Technique looks iffy because he was so big in HS he had none and has a ton of bad habits... mostly playing too tall and not getting hands on someone off the snap... basically just leans his shoulder into them with no leverage and they get their hands on him and direct him where to go.

He also looks weak... could just be because of the bad technique and setting himself up to get mauled. It's been said on here he lacks upper body strength... i can see that.
I had reservations about him coming out of HS because he was legitimately nearly twice the size of his opponents but almost never dominated. That’s something I always look for with big kids in HS.

Advertisement
And for every Forston and Keef you got an Ed Oliver, Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins and the list could go in and on. The odds of a 4-5 star developing into elite talent is much better than trying to “develope” 3 star players and this is fact.

2014 Top Defensive Tackle Recruits
meh

The reality of the DT position is few gamechanging talents exist on the planet. Good programs always have baseline depth and size inside to be top 10 run defenses every year. So you go and recruit guys like Munoz and Blissett who are scheme versatile with traits that project well to run defense. You don't need to be a 4* to fill that role.

With run defense solidified you turn to the disruptors to impact the passing game. So yes you need top-rated recruits to maximize the potential of this defense, but that doesn't have to be every commit. Bama would still be Bama if they had 3* DTs with the occasional Jon Allen but the boosters would lose their recruiting ****ing match so it will never happen. Personally I don't get worked up about bragging rights; I just want a championship roster.

meh

The reality of the DT position is few gamechanging talents exist on the planet. Good programs always have baseline depth and size inside to be top 10 run defenses every year. So you go and recruit guys like Munoz and Blissett who are scheme versatile with traits that project well to run defense. You don't need to be a 4* to fill that role.

With run defense solidified you turn to the disruptors to impact the passing game. So yes you need top-rated recruits to maximize the potential of this defense, but that doesn't have to be every commit. Bama would still be Bama if they had 3* DTs with the occasional Jon Allen but the boosters would lose their recruiting ****ing match so it will never happen. Personally I don't get worked up about bragging rights; I just want a championship roster.
A better example is actually the 2013 class.

2013 Top Defensive Tackle Recruits

Vita Vea is the best of the bunch and he’s ranked 40th.

meh

Why did you only look at the 2014 class? When was the last time we had dominant DT? RJ was the best we have had in awhile and when you compare it to our recruiting it makes sense. Our name is nowhere to be found when it comes to recruiting DT in the last handful of years. DL and OL are the hardest positions to project so I will hope this staff knows what it is doing with their evals, but we have nothing to base that off of with Simpson. I don’t think Diaz is a great recruiter either so I have little faith in what I’m seeing right now with DT recruiting.

I had reservations about him coming out of HS because he was legitimately nearly twice the size of his opponents but almost never dominated. That’s something I always look for with big kids in HS.

The game i saw Ford play in....he mostly lined up at End and they had like a 5'9 220 pd kid at DT or Nose. This was against Miramar who had 2 div 1 level lineman on their line who Ford went against. I think he had a sack ...but mostly was quiet.

Kid has always been huge. When he puts it together lookout though. I always thought he was a wait and see type more so than a plug and play.

Advertisement
The game i saw Ford play in....he mostly lined up at End and they had like a 5'9 220 pd kid at DT or Nose. This was against Miramar who had 2 div 1 level lineman on their line who Ford went against. I think he had a sack ...but mostly was quiet.

Kid has always been huge. When he puts it together lookout though. I always thought he was a wait and see type more so than a plug and play.
I hope he does put it together, but I’m always wary of gigantic kids in HS who don’t dominate. We’ll see what happens with him. I’m hoping being around Nesta that some of Nesta’s rabid dog will rub off on him.

No, kids go to schools they have legit offers from. You think kids would waste money to see a school they didn’t offer them? If you do it explains why you still bag groceries at Sedano’s. Why wouldn’t he go to South Carolina if they offered the same week? Why would he unofficial at Tennessee?

I think you actually need to sit this one out...
Where's Sedano's?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back