Jarrid Williams, OT, Houston - in the portal (Radio Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, this isn’t like a HS senior trying to decide what school he wants to attend. Young mans got a lot on the line. If he’s talented enough, the NFL has proven time and again they’ll find him.
Would love to see him come to us for obvious reasons. Ultimately, his choice will be what he feels is best for his future.

Advertisement
I’m not the smartest guy in the room but I’m smart enough to understand there’s a difference between us thinking he’s a perfect fit and him thinking it.

You obviously can’t differentiate between the two.
I don’t know what he thinks. No one does besides him. I also haven’t seen Justice or Lashlee here, so who knows.

All three teams have new offensive staffs so that’s a wash. I know FSU’s OL sucks as bad as ours, so that’s a wash too. I couldn’t tell you the first thing about Baylor’s OL.

Comes down to how he got along with each set of coaches, the offense the teams will run, and the vision those coaches laid out for him. I hope it is us so we can let our underclassmen get situated and experienced in this new offense.

My thread got jacked 😵
This showed up. ...

I think he easily wins the job, but I'm not as down on our OTs as others might be. Folks forget that Nelson was 235 lbs out of HS, then by the start of the season he was 290 lbs. I don't know how he put on that much weight other than eating a box of pastelitos every hour. But just because he was heavier doesn't mean he had really adjusted to his new body weight. If Justice's predecessors hadn't sucked so much at recruiting, Nelson should have been a redshirt. Instead he had to start from day 1, and he wasn't ready for it. That's not his fault though- he shouldn't have been in a position where he was seeing the field at all in his freshman year. I liked that he didn't go in the tank when he had his worst struggles. Mentally, I think he has the right make up. He's obviously dedicated to have been able to put on that much weight in such a short time. Physically, it comes down to more time in the weight room and adjusting to his additional mass. I'm bullish on Nelson turning into an excellent starter before the end of his career.
I'm not down on our OL either. But I think Williams walks in and starts. It's not often you can bring in a proven mature player like that.

Advertisement
I don’t know what he thinks. No one does besides him. I also haven’t seen Justice or Lashlee here, so who knows.

All three teams have new offensive staffs so that’s a wash. I know FSU’s OL sucks as bad as ours, so that’s a wash too. I couldn’t tell you the first thing about Baylor’s OL.

Comes down to how he got along with each set of coaches, the offense the teams will run, and the vision those coaches laid out for him. I hope it is us so we can let our underclassmen get situated and experienced in this new offense.

Agree 100%

The longer this goes the more it can’t be good for us, right?

The longer this goes the more it can’t be good for us, right?

Like the man said, his heart is probably at Baylor but his head says Miami. It's the better business decision. I think a kid going with his heart makes the decision quickly. Going with the head over heart is gut wrenching so he might be trying to convince himself otherwise. Most of the time, business decision wins.

Advertisement
I’m not the smartest guy in the room but I’m smart enough to understand there’s a difference between us thinking he’s a perfect fit and him thinking it.

You obviously can’t differentiate between the two.
All we have on the topic is our opinion. What good does it do to say "he might not think it's the perfect fit, but then again he might?" No one knows what he thinks, but I know what I think. It's the perfect fit. Period.

All we have on the topic is our opinion. What good does it do to say "he might not think it's the perfect fit, but then again he might?" No one knows what he thinks, but I know what I think. It's the perfect fit. Period.

My entire point is from our perspective we rightfully think this is a perfect opportunity for the kid. But there are actually programs with worse situations than ours he's considering. USC is replacing the guy the Dolphins drafted with a guard that's never played tackle. Ole Miss only has a sophomore that split time with a senior last year. I guess he's also considering FSU, but that place is a total train wreck.

As raw as they are we have two high school All Americans and an incumbent in Zion who is a complete unknown (talented but clearly not ready last year). Even a guy like Campbell can be a factor.

In no way am I saying I'd rather stick with what we've got. I would LOVE to have his kid. But at the end of the day he has only one shot. I assume he'd prefer to be at a place that's like our situation last year as opposed to this year where we have a ton of young, unproven talent that can surprise.

Advertisement
Seems very likely that the "moving parts" are (a) getting Williams accepted to grad school at UM, and (b) getting Williams enrolled on his dime for the fall semester, even though we technically do not know if/when we will be able to open fall practice, and thus award him a scholarship one day after fall practice begins.

He might...just might...decide to take the solid LOI offer from Baylor or F$U if he has monetary concerns, in the thought that if he "commits" to Miami (without being recruited per the blueshirt rules), he will lose the certainty of offers from other schools.

In simple terms, if Williams wants to come to UM, and we had a 2020-2021 IC slot remaining, then this should be a no-brainer. There would be no "moving parts".

Advertisement
I doubt he has to pay the tuition for the semester. He just gets the invoice until the scholarship covers it.

Blueshirts are complicated. Who is explaining to him the process? If the coaches cannot. ..

Seems very likely that the "moving parts" are (a) getting Williams accepted to grad school at UM, and (b) getting Williams enrolled on his dime for the fall semester, even though we technically do not know if/when we will be able to open fall practice, and thus award him a scholarship one day after fall practice begins.

He might...just might...decide to take the solid LOI offer from Baylor or F$U if he has monetary concerns, in the thought that if he "commits" to Miami (without being recruited per the blueshirt rules), he will lose the certainty of offers from other schools.

In simple terms, if Williams wants to come to UM, and we had a 2020-2021 IC slot remaining, then this should be a no-brainer. There would be no "moving parts".

I was told he was coming a few days ago “ just some hoops to jump through”. Not sure if there’s now a holdup.

Safe bet is to follow his heart, go to Baylor and be a hero for a week. Have a solid season and go from there.

Bold move is to follow through with Miami. Put in a ton of work this season and most probably increase his draft stock.

If he really wants to play safe stay at Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back