Jarrid Williams, OT, Houston - in the portal (Radio Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 117673

6'7 305+lbs, from Cedar Hill (was on that talented squad that won a state title), played with D'Eriq King for 4 years at Houston & in 2018 was the opposite OT of Josh Jones who was just drafted in the 3rd round by the Cardinals, on an offense that was 5th in the nation is scoring, 7th in yards per game, 24th in rushing yards per game & was 51st in sacks allowed (which is good), al while running over 1,040 plays on the season in that high octane offense under Briles.

Having watched a shìt ton of that 2018 season from studying up on King I went back watched games just focusing on Williams & the OL.

- He has long arms, quick feet, good kick step, can anchor very well in pass protect, gets to the second level of the defense with quickness, plays his assignments well & understands how to shuffle & readjust his feet vs speed rushers. Has good initial punch & uses his great arm length, when he decided to lock on his man's shoulder pads he could vice grip & drive the defender.

Where he needs more coaching up is in the run game, he's good but not great there, at times lunges forward & over extends, allows DL's to get into his chest at times & needs to show more consistency in leverage battles, sometimes gets too high in the run protection.

Overall, is a very good pass protector, definitely has NFL capabilities (Mid-late rounder as of now, stock can rise/fall depending on season performance), has very good experience in an uptempo offense like we'll be running with Lashlee & is a savvy vet who can come right in & be a leader in the OL room, something that's desperately needed. Especially with his continuity & familiarity with King, will be smart all business kid that can show the rest of the group maturity & how to prepare.

Would be an immediate starter at LT or RT, his choice. Not anywhere close to the George Brown or Tommy Kennedy transfers, much more skilled & more experienced. Plus playing under Coach Justice who's a West Va Trickett disciple will get the absolute most out of him & have him playing his best ball as a 5th year Senior.

BRING HIM IN PLEASE 🙏🏾
It's posts like this that make you such a valued and respected presence on this board. You have a very keen football mind and your posts are always insightful and informative.

You basically summed it all up above. The significance of getting Williams cannot be overstated. In addition to all of the factors stated above, the addition of Williams could have a powerfully galvanizing effect on the OL. Having a 5th year Senior grad transfer who could step right in and take the starting LT/RT job would have a tremendous ripple effect on the rest of the OL. Many here have stated that based on watching his film that he could play either Tackle position. If this is indeed the case Williams would solve the LT problem allowing us to focus on finding the best fit at RT.

Advertisement
The Mod is right and I'm sorry for being one of the culprits that derailed the last thread. It is funny however that there are threads that go pages upon pages with Political arguments and Covid talk that don't get shut down yet a few posts with the "Mary Jane" pics gets closed. Hmmmmm

The Mod is right and I'm sorry for being one of the culprits that derailed the last thread. It is funny however that there are threads that go pages upon pages with Political arguments and Covid talk that don't get shut down yet a few posts with the "Mary Jane" pics gets closed. Hmmmmm
@IndayArtHauz is capricious and gives no quarter. I hope Jarrid Williams recognizes that.

View attachment 117673

6'7 305+lbs, from Cedar Hill (was on that talented squad that won a state title), played with D'Eriq King for 4 years at Houston & in 2018 was the opposite OT of Josh Jones who was just drafted in the 3rd round by the Cardinals, on an offense that was 5th in the nation is scoring, 7th in yards per game, 24th in rushing yards per game & was 51st in sacks allowed (which is good), al while running over 1,040 plays on the season in that high octane offense under Briles.

Having watched a shìt ton of that 2018 season from studying up on King I went back watched games just focusing on Williams & the OL.

- He has long arms, quick feet, good kick step, can anchor very well in pass protect, gets to the second level of the defense with quickness, plays his assignments well & understands how to shuffle & readjust his feet vs speed rushers. Has good initial punch & uses his great arm length, when he decided to lock on his man's shoulder pads he could vice grip & drive the defender.

Where he needs more coaching up is in the run game, he's good but not great there, at times lunges forward & over extends, allows DL's to get into his chest at times & needs to show more consistency in leverage battles, sometimes gets too high in the run protection.

Overall, is a very good pass protector, definitely has NFL capabilities (Mid-late rounder as of now, stock can rise/fall depending on season performance), has very good experience in an uptempo offense like we'll be running with Lashlee & is a savvy vet who can come right in & be a leader in the OL room, something that's desperately needed. Especially with his continuity & familiarity with King, will be smart all business kid that can show the rest of the group maturity & how to prepare.

Would be an immediate starter at LT or RT, his choice. Not anywhere close to the George Brown or Tommy Kennedy transfers, much more skilled & more experienced. Plus playing under Coach Justice who's a West Va Trickett disciple will get the absolute most out of him & have him playing his best ball as a 5th year Senior.

BRING HIM IN PLEASE 🙏🏾

Love it! Thanks LCE! Hope we land him and get some more breakdown of film from @Lance Roffers. Love reading both of your analyses!

Advertisement
The last thread got locked? Yikes! Hopefully I didn't do that....

jaleel-white-family-matters-abc-033116-638x425.jpg

I think @IndayArtHauz closed it because he knew it was getting close to the page count that causes kids to go to other schools. I applaud the effort! What we gonna talk about for the next two days?

Advertisement
My concern based on countless examples from the past when it comes to recruiting OOS players...

When ‘Canes Twitter and message board savants proclaim an OOS player is ours 7 days prior to the recruit making it official (sic), it gives other teams too much time to make a move (read into that as you wish) and things often don’t turn out as we had proclaimed.

Let’s hope this one is different because we could benefit from an infusion of talent on the O-line

Advertisement
Immediate starter at LT and probably the best lineman on the team as soon as he commits. I know we have some younger guys with higher ceilings but they're not at this level yet. We desperately need senior leadership on the line and he's got plenty experience in a no huddle offense plus he played with our current QB. I still think we can piece together a serviceable line without him but man, would it help if he comes here.

Immediate starter at LT and probably the best lineman on the team as soon as he commits. I know we have some younger guys with higher ceilings but they're not at this level yet. We desperately need senior leadership on the line and he's got plenty experience in a no huddle offense plus he played with our current QB. I still think we can piece together a serviceable line without him but man, would it help if he comes here.
I think so as well, I scratch my head at 247 having him so lowly ranked in the portal rankings for some reason

Advertisement
I think so as well, I scratch my head at 247 having him so lowly ranked in the portal rankings for some reason

He was originally a 2* recruit and like 3,200 ranked player in the nation. His only offer was from Houston. RS his first year in 2015, played in 8 games his second year but totaled only 61 snaps, third year played in 3 games, started two, fourth year started 13 games at RT, fifth year played in 4 games then had a season ending injury, sought a medical RS.

Overall he had one good season 2 years ago and is coming off an injury. Don't get me wrong I agree he is better than his ranking and want him as a player, but I can see the reasoning for having him in the high 3-star range. Also I think he is top 5 for transfer tackles in terms of rankings. Walker is high up there because he is essentially maintained his HS recruit ranking, Cade Mays the former 5 star from UGA was up there, then some randoms and Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back