Jarren Williams

Advertisement
I’m not surprised by what he’s said and his attitude.

You would expect any QB to have the same attitude if he was planning to be successful.

There is no telling what happens this summer and the fall, but I am feeling better about the QB position.

Last year, we had practically no one to turn to if the starter faltered. This year, I think we’ll see an improved N’Kosi, based on a year learning the system, and Williams who may or may not surpass him.

In any event, the QB position is in way better shape than it was last year. At least we have viable backup options, even Weldon.

Can’t wait for the competition start August 1.

Competition breeds success. We have that now at QB and Rosier understands complacency will land him on the bench much quicker. I could honestly see one of the 2 freshmen in the 2nd half against L$U if Rosier can't move the ball.

Last edited:
One thing I find strange is the lack of news on Perry. We hear a lot about how Rosier is feeling the pressure and taking the competition seriously. Richt even went out of his way to say the competition has been the key to motivating Rosier. We also hear how Williams is taking the competition seriously, getting help from a pro tutor and banging in the film room. But I haven't heard anything on Perry, and not a word on his work ethic or determination.

lol take a hint

Advertisement
The problem I see is: regardless of how much better Jarren may be than Malik in the fall, it's gonna be tough to start a true freshman over the 5th year senior we went 10-3 under. It'll also be tough not to give Malik a shot to finish a game he's struggling in considering most of last year's wins. I expect Jarren will be at #2 vs LSU & come in for a few series; I think a QB rotation will be the most likely outcome of fall camp. This will gradually turn into Jarren being the 1 by year's end. Hopefully this doesn't cost us LSU. It's also possible Jarren could 100% clean up during camp & give Richt the cojones to start him.
Jake Heaps says hello. 5th year senior means nothing when you simply aren't very talented.

Advertisement
The problem I see is: regardless of how much better Jarren may be than Malik in the fall, it's gonna be tough to start a true freshman over the 5th year senior we went 10-3 under. It'll also be tough not to give Malik a shot to finish a game he's struggling in considering most of last year's wins. I expect Jarren will be at #2 vs LSU & come in for a few series; I think a QB rotation will be the most likely outcome of fall camp. This will gradually turn into Jarren being the 1 by year's end. Hopefully this doesn't cost us LSU. It's also possible Jarren could 100% clean up during camp & give Richt the cojones to start him.

I agree with you on everything here - except if Malik is struggling - that's how we lost three games, and had a few heart-stoppers as well.

We need to get our #2 QB some time in games this year. This BS about only one QB has game experience - that's really getting old and worrisome.

Malik struggles - or starts to struggle - we need to pull him and let someone else have a shot. If Malik improves under duress - he'll get another chance - but Malik is either dead-nuts-on, as against Notre Dame, or he's on full fail - like Pittsburg.

Don't do this to yourself. No need to preemptively create built in excuses. Richt is going to start the guy who gives us the best chance to win, which may or may not be the guy you think is "better." Being experienced and knowing what to do matters A LOT. It matters more than anything else. A guy who is only 54% accurate but knows what to do is "better" than a guy who's 64% accurate but does not know what to do.

Look at it this way. One guy has a 50-50 chance of having success each time he drops back to throw. The other guy has a much lower chance for success, because he didn't spot the single coverage mismatch and check out of a bad run call. Now every time the 50% guy misses a throw, you see it and it looks bad. But what you don't see is how often the 60% guy was actually gave his team a 0% chance to succeed because he didn't make the right checks and get them into the right play.

But cheer up. I can't possibly imagine a guy who only began taking his role seriously a few years ago is going to have an insurmountable lead in the knowing what to do department over a guy who's studied his whole life at it...even if it was at a lower level of competition.

Don't do this to yourself. No need to preemptively create built in excuses. Richt is going to start the guy who gives us the best chance to win, which may or may not be the guy you think is "better." Being experienced and knowing what to do matters A LOT. It matters more than anything else. A guy who is only 54% accurate but knows what to do is "better" than a guy who's 64% accurate but does not know what to do.

Look at it this way. One guy has a 50-50 chance of having success each time he drops back to throw. The other guy has a much lower chance for success, because he didn't spot the single coverage mismatch and check out of a bad run call. Now every time the 50% guy misses a throw, you see it and it looks bad. But what you don't see is how often the 60% guy was actually gave his team a 0% chance to succeed because he didn't make the right checks and get them into the right play.

But cheer up. I can't possibly imagine a guy who only began taking his role seriously a few years ago is going to have an insurmountable lead in the knowing what to do department over a guy who's studied his whole life at it...even if it was at a lower level of competition.
Excuses? It's a legitimately tough position to be in as a coach. Starting Malik vs LSU is the "safe" play; Richt has been around a long time & has never been known as a "riverboat gambler". I happen to feel that starting Jarren off the bat is one shot he should take, regardless of how hesitant I am to think he will.

You're assuming that a QB who correctly checks into a few passes that have a 50% chance of being completed with no chance of YAC (he doesn't hit receivers in stride) gives us a better chance to score points than say, an accurate passer who might not make the presnap adjustment but connects at a much higher clip & hits receivers in stride. This is highly subjective. There are quite a few plays I can point to, but the simplest example is in the Clemson game, where we scored 3 points. A single accurate deep pass - JT was wide open for a long TD early on when Malik threw a duck - would have netted us more points for the entire game. That is the impact big plays can have. ****, if that pass was completed, it might have given the team the momentum to put up a better fight...but seeing that from your QB had to be disheartening.

Advertisement
***** said nothing about the bad ******* in Miami... Doesn't he know what weekend is coming up?

Maybe he isn't interested in some THOT ******** up his life. Or, maybe, not just maybe, he's concentrating on being a student-athlete, and understands that you have to do your job on the field and off, and after you do that, then you can play. Who knows, and honestly...Who the F cares?

It's not difficult.

Richt gets paid to make decisions so he should be able to pick the best QB for the job. He's done nothing so far to make me think he's wishy washy or spineless, so I'll just assume whoever we see is the guy who's looked the best in practice.

The only problem is that people on here can't stand not knowing so they have to make up elaborate stories about what they think will happen.

EDIT: After reading some of the other stuff you've said, I can't believe how egotistical you are. What exactly make you think you know the man's motivations? Why are you qualified to say if playing Rosier is for "safety" or because he's legit the best we have right now? Do you watch all of every practice? Do you have access to film of the practices you've just run so you can confirm what you think you see on the field?

Bottom line, you don't have anything on which to base your pronouncements about what will happen and why.

Maybe he isn't interested in some THOT ******** up his life. Or, maybe, not just maybe, he's concentrating on being a student-athlete, and understands that you have to do your job on the field and off, and after you do that, then you can play. Who knows, and honestly...Who the F cares?

You are 100% correct. If you don't maintain your virginity throughout college you will never be successfull. All of the great Canes stayed away from women and never did any partying.

Advertisement
This kid is doing everything he needs to do for his future. I will always be skeptical of a true freshman QB. The game speed increases so much from HS to P5 college ball. He could literally **** his pants against LSU. I love his future and maybe its mid-season 2018, but not against LSU in the opener. I don't think we'll need it. If we do we have larger problems. The accolades K'Nosi earned as a Sr in Florida(Mr. Football?) may have made him too complacent. I'm not saying this kid is the answer for 2018. Malik will make it tough, but anyone who has watched the UVA, Cuse, UNC & Pitt film had every right to be concerned with Rosier. Granted our OL can make a huge difference in this convo if they improve vastly. That being said, that argument is growing hair. I hope our schedule proves to be helpful and we come together by week 7.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back